JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help - upgrade for Sky Digibox & URC-7541
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Help - upgrade for Sky Digibox & URC-7541 Reply with quote

Hi!

I needed an upgrade for a sky digibox (I live in Scotland) to use in my URC-7541 (2k version). I found almost all I needed in this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=694

I loaded the upgrade file for the 8011 into RemoteMaster (and what a great tool that is - it's been a while since my last foray into JP1, and the tools have improved so much!) and remapped the buttons using the RDF for my remote. All worked on the first try!

Except.

Sky remotes have a "Sky" button and a "tv" button. these function like device buttons on most other URCs, in that they will let you e.g. turn either your TV or your digibox on or off (there are setup codes for different TVs, but it usually works out of the box).

To switch from the sky service to your tv without switching off the digibox completely you have to press "tv" then "help" on the sky remote. This does not work on my upgraded URC-7541.

I suspect that this is because the EFC being sent to the box is not part of the digibox device, but the embedded tv device in the sky remote (did that make sense?).

Ideally, I would like to include this function in my digibox device upgrade, but I would settle for mapping the button with a key move.

My real problem is that I don't have any way to learn signals from my sky remote, so I can't offer anything here by way of helpful detail.

Can anyone help me? I am one button away from my perfect remote!

Cheers!

-Woody Nightshade
Hugo Rune
-----------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that UEI designs remotes to sell to cable companies. The cable companies don't mind if you use the TV or VCR device buttons to set up your equipment, but the cable company wants the CBL button "locked" in to their device.

So UEI created special codes for the cable company to use to lock these remotes, and no one except for the cable company and Rob know these codes. Smile

I am not certain if a 981 style reset would clear this lock. I am also not certain if this note pertains in any way to your problem. If it does not, my apologies!

So how is bonny Scotland? Is there a lot of Haggas and Golf, like the stereotype? Smile Somewhere in my family tree I am decended from a Scotsman. I have the plaid and the coat of arms to prove it! Smile
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody,

The Sky command is RC6-6-20:0:128 EFC=189 according to DecodeIR.dll from a Pronto hex posting at RC:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?1448

I had guessed at the discrete power commands based on RC5/RC6 convention and was wrong.

Since the Armstrong’s were a border clan with a dubious reputation*, I'll forgo any reference to my Scottish heritage Smile

*The Archbishop Of Glasgow was moved to say of the Armstrongs and their cohorts 'I Curse Every Part Of Their Body... May The Earth Cleave, Open Up And Swallow Them Down To Hell! .. and those were the nicer parts.
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Sky Digibox codes I use EFC= 238 for the TV button and EFC= 006 for my help button. This operates any Panasonic TV in conjunction with the digibox. The SKY button is EFC= 014

Ron
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
So how is bonny Scotland? Is there a lot of Haggas and Golf, like the stereotype? Smile Somewhere in my family tree I am decended from a Scotsman. I have the plaid and the coat of arms to prove it! Smile

Och, aye - Scotland is pretty darn bonnie, I can tell you. Every mnorning after I put on my kilt and have some breakfast haggis & shortbread, I take my Scottie for a walk, and play a tune on my bagpipes.

Seriously.
Hugo Rune
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
The Sky command is RC6-6-20:0:128 EFC=189 according to DecodeIR.dll from a Pronto hex posting at RC:

Thanks! this is just the sort of thing I was hoping for... I will try this when I get home from work today. Cheers!

jon_armstrong wrote:
Since the Armstrong?s were a border clan with a dubious reputation*, I'll forgo any reference to my Scottish heritage Smile

*The Archbishop Of Glasgow was moved to say of the Armstrongs and their cohorts 'I Curse Every Part Of Their Body... May The Earth Cleave, Open Up And Swallow Them Down To Hell! .. and those were the nicer parts.

All Scottish heritage is something to be proud of - even a connection to a bunch of dirty rotten scoundrels. I myself am an American ex-pat, and my only connection here is my wife and son. But I am a proud Scot anyway, and I'll gie any man who says different a good ol' Glesgae kiss!

Boy, that Archbishop sure has a way with words...
Hugo Rune

Last edited by w_nightshade on Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
For my Sky Digibox codes I use EFC= 238 for the TV button and EFC= 006 for my help button. This operates any Panasonic TV in conjunction with the digibox. The SKY button is EFC= 014

Ron

Many thanks for this Ron. However these are the EFCs I am using for these buttons (as defined in the RM upgrade I mentioned earlier) and they all work, apart from the way I described (tv + help switches to tv functions without switching off the digibox).
Hugo Rune

Last edited by w_nightshade on Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand TV are you using in conjunction with your Sky Digibox?

Ron
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
What brand TV are you using in conjunction with your Sky Digibox?

I have a Philips TV, using a device upgrade 1250, data below:

-------------------------
42 00 FE FE FE 86 81 BF FB FE FF 67 FF F7 FF 77
FF B7 FF 37 FF D7 FF 57 FF 97 FF 17 FF E7 FF FB
FF 7B FF B3 FF D3 FF 53 FF 43 FF 0F FF 23 FF 5F
FF 9F FF CF FF D3 FF 53 FF 7B FF FB FF 63 FF C7
7F 71 FF 3F 7F CF 7F B1 FF 6F 7F F1 FF 31 FF EF
7F 2F 7F A3 FF
-------------------------
Hugo Rune
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more code to try for HELP, EFC= 178 which I learnt from a Sky Remote linked to a Phillips TV. Other than that all codes appear as on the Upgrade you used.

My knowledge of JP1 grows everday but neverless I am still very much a beginner. This is about as far as I can assist at the moment but feel sure one of the talented experts will be able to advise further.

Ron
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW one further thought which is maybe "coals to Newcastle" (British humour!!!) but have you checked your connections. To make the changeover automatic you need Sat co-ax cable in to digibox, scart from digibox to TV. co-ax from Digibox out to TV.
I am sure you have this but it may be worth checking. Sometimes a VCR in the loop can upset the autochange.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w_nightshade wrote:
silron1 wrote:

Ron

Many thanks for this Ron. However these are the EFCs I am using for these buttons (as defined in the RM upgrade I mentioned earlier) and they all work, apart from the way I described (tv + help switches to tv functions without switching off the digibox).

Hey Woody, are you trying to assign EFC 238 to the actual TV button on your JP1 remote, because unless you're using an extender, that won't work.

My guess is that the "TV" button on the original remote sends a signal (probably EFC 238) and changes the mode of the remote (and possibly powers on the TV). So, try assigning that EFC to a regular button and see if that works.
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So, try assigning that EFC to a regular button and see if that works.

Alas, this is what I have done. Good suggestion, though.
Hugo Rune
w_nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
FWIW one further thought which is maybe "coals to Newcastle" (British humour!!!) but have you checked your connections. To make the changeover automatic you need Sat co-ax cable in to digibox, scart from digibox to TV. co-ax from Digibox out to TV.
I am sure you have this but it may be worth checking. Sometimes a VCR in the loop can upset the autochange.

I will check this as well. I do have a VCR, but I will need to check the specific cabling hook-ups. Wish me luck!
Hugo Rune
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need then is someone with the Sky remote and a JP1 learning remote, that way they can learn exactly what gets sent when you press these buttons.

I sent an email to jaco_scotland from the other thread, who has both, so hopefully he can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: