JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Punch Thru Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmidlapp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: IR Punch Thru Question Reply with quote

Here's my problem. Sometimes I want to watch a movie on just my TV and other times I want the whole home theatre sound. So I would like to punch thru my TV volume for my DVD player under the "Cable" button and also punch thru my Amplifier volume for my DVD player under the "DVD" button on my URC-8910. (so I can have both) In IR I see HT transport device, volume device, channel device, menu device, and PIP device and then a whole mess of others. Exactly what do the things in this column mean and how would I set them up to do what I'm trying to do? Does volume punch thru only work with one or the other or can it do both?

Example:
TV Volume for: TV, VCR, CBL, SAT (Left side of remote)

Amp Volume for: DVD,RCVR/AMP, CD, AUX (Right side of remote)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using an extender? If not then you can't have the punch thru be two different things depending on the device. You can how ever setup key moves on things like dvd, cd and aux for the amp volume keys to get the same effect.

With the extender you just need to check how you have the devices set.
schmidlapp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, key moves is how I have it set up now. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to punch thru volumes. I don't have an extender ( I'm not even sure what that is)
Evan_s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1678

with out an extender key moves is the best you can do.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmidlapp

Extenders are little programs that can take charge of your remote and change its behavior. They usually give you the kind of punchthrough that you are looking for. In addition many come with fantastic little features. Some allow you to x_shift your buttons so you can stack functions three deep on buttons. Most offer nested macros. Temporary device selection in macros. In addition they are often bundled with special protocols that can do device specific macros, ToadTog, LKP and DSM.

Now I didn't care about any of those things. I got "stuck" using an extender because I ran out of keymove space, and many extenders convert learning memory to keymove/macro space. So I tried that and then I tried out those other features. They make my remotes SO EASY TO USE!. I can write really useful macros that were impossible without extenders. I love, simply LOVE LKP's. I don't know which JP1 remote you have, but you really ought to check out the extenders it has and the functionality it gives. They take a little work to understand what's going on, but its really worth your time.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmidlapp wrote:
I don't have an extender ( I'm not even sure what that is)

It is software you can load into your remote via JP1 that:
*) Gives you more KeyMove/Macro memory
*) Gives you faster and more flexible macros
*) Redesigns the way device selection works, usually requiring that all device selection be done by macros (you can put macros on device keys) and enabling a much more flexible system to replace punch through.
*) Lots of other enhancements and/or changes.

Before loading an extender, you need to eliminate all your learned signals, usually by converting them to KeyMoves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: