JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to determine compatible EFC code?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cub69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: How to determine compatible EFC code? Reply with quote

I know, I'm starting to be a pain Smile I'm so close to get my configuration down pat.

Now that my TV is working, I only need to get my HTPC running. Since it's LIRC, I can program the most flexible device. I found the code 1972 has almost all of the keys available that I would want.

There are additional keys on the remote that don't work, however. Keys like page up and page down, the A, B and C keys, LAST that sort of thing.

By playing with ir, I can get the keys working with keymoves but how do I know what EFC codes or hex commands are compatible with this device type? Is there a matrix someplace that I haven't found yet?

I looked in the setup codes from the main page, but 1972 isn't found.

Thanks
Norm
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any info on "1972". It's harder to even look because you just gave the number, no device type, no remote model, etc. But if I'm reading Devices.xls correctly, I wouldn't find any 1972 regardless of that other info.

Is it a built-in setup code number on one of your OFA remotes? If not, it is pretty much a meaningless number.

For most setup codes, EFC numbers 000 through 255 are valid and unique. EFC 256+N is the same signal as EFC N, so you don't get any more by going above 255.

But the above can depend on the setup code and on the model of OneForAll remote, so when I said "most" above I just meant "most".

For many within the above "most" setup codes and for many ways that LIRC might choose to represent signals, the JP1 hex command will be visible in a consistent place for each function line in LIRC. I think what you really want is the way to convert between EFC numbers and the Hex codes you see in LIRC.

The EFC calculator (tools menu in IR.exe) lets you convert between EFC number and JP1 hex. Or you could do that in the RemoteMaster functions sheet for most protocols (such as NEC1).
Cub69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was a code I found under the PVR section of the Atlas manual that came with the remote. From the looks of it, it controls mostly PC type receivers like Microsoft, Alienware, Dell, Hauppauge - That sort of thing.

So the devices spreadsheet has all of the available device codes?

So with what you are saying, I could map an unused EFC code to the keys that do not have anything mapped to it?

Thanks
Norm
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cub69 wrote:
it was a code I found under the PVR section of the Atlas manual that came with the remote.

So the devices spreadsheet has all of the available device codes?

If I understand you correctly, the above two statements contradict each other:

PVR/1972 is a built-in setup code in your model of Atlas.
PVR/1972 is not in the devices spreadsheet.

Cub69 wrote:
I could map an unused EFC code to the keys that do not have anything mapped to it?

Right. You can define EFC keymoves easily in IR.exe (assuming the RDF file is accurate enough) or define them manually on the remote itself, assigning any unused EFC number to any key that lacks a unique code.

If the relationship between LIRC HEX and EFC numbers is well behaved for whatever protocol it is, you can find the unused EFC numbers by looking at the LIRC hex and translating as I described before.

If that relationship isn't well behaved, you would probably need to experiment: Try EFC numbers starting at 000 and see which generate LIRC hex that doesn't match what you already have.
Cub69

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information -- I didn't mean to contradict myself, it was more a question - where did you find all of the known codes? You mentioned a devices list or something? I did find the Setup Codes web page but it seemed to not have anything on pvr type devices. More for curiousity now as I am moving along with my htpc setup.

The info you provided is exactly what I needed to get this done. I changed my base code to 0616 (the other was not responsive as expected with lirc) and now with the information you provided I can activate the keys that are currently not configured.

Thanks!
Norm
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: