JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problems with JP1.x Interfaces sold by DIYGadgets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Problems with JP1.x Interfaces sold by DIYGadgets Reply with quote

We have found four JP1.2 Interfaces purchased by three members from DIYG with identical assembly errors that make it impossible for these units to have ever operated satisfactorily. The picture at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5160 shows the problem. Capacitor C2 and resistor R7 are swapped, as you can see. The resistors are black with a 3-digit value marked on them. The capacitors are tan.

Tommy

IBNobody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get one of these DIYG cables and want to see if you have a problem without opening it up, here's what to do:

1. Plug the cable into the remote (it does not need to be connected to the PC).

2. Try pushing all the number buttons.

3. If the remote's red light does not come on for some of the number buttons, you have a bad remote cable.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBNobody wrote:
3. If the remote's red light does not come on for some of the number buttons, you have a bad remote cable.
When I try that on my 8820 with home-made serial JP1.2 cable (not JP1.x) the red light doesn't come on for the 6 and 9 keys but it does for the others. Cable and remote seem to be working fine, however.
kmradke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Mine is "bad" too - purchased Sept. 27 2007 Reply with quote

Count me as number five. I was having problems with my new cable, and opening it up shows a swapped C2 and R7.

It seems to have "killed" one of my jp1.3 remotes. No led activity when pressing any buttons. I have tried every "reset" procedure I could find with no luck. Is it just a doorstop now?
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through resusitating a remote. I can't give you an exact procedure, but since you can't communicate with IR since your interface is bad, you're left with push button resets. when you press and hold the setup button, do you get a response?

jeff
kmradke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and fixed my DIY cable. I can now communicate fine with my other jp1.3 remote.

Oddly enough, the "dead" remote can be read from but not written to using IR 7.0.6. It also does not blink the LED like the other one does when it is finished reading.

I had tried the bad cable in both orientations, and possibly had left it in the wrong orientation for a few minutes. I'm guessing something was fried, since no amount of resets, battery removals while buttons are being pressed has seemed to revive it...
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest IR is IR7.07. If your IR can read but not write, your problem might be weak batteries.
kmradke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried swapping in new batteries. I'll try the latest IR as well. An identical remote works fine.

Since this is a "new" remote, I posted the raw IR dump of the good remote and jpg to the file section for analysis: http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5176
(I just posted to the general section with this info.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: