JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Cable Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirNed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: JP1 Cable Problems Reply with quote

G'day folks. I have a problem with a JP1 cable I made myself. I am using a URC-7550 remote.

When I connect the cable nothing happens. I have been through all the instructions I can find including this one http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/simple/index.shtml#test

and the one put out by Tommy Tyler.

As far as I can tell all is working properly as far as the cable goes. Have checked in the BIOS to make sure the Parallel is set to go. SO after that I am pretty much out of ideas.
I have a small multimeter if that is of any help to get this thing going so all suggestions gratefully received and acted upon.

Have also tried out different battery combinations including turned around flat full and half way in between and none at all.
SirNed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: OK Still playing with it Reply with quote

Still playing with it but not a lot of success so far.

After I have plugged it into the parallel port and open up IR.exe I go to Interface/check Interface.

It tells me no response from the remote Make sure your interface is plugged into JP1 properly.

As it does this the light on the remote flashes twice.

And that is as far as it goes

The remote is a URC-7550

Any idea where I am going wrong?

Edited for this question

As an aside does it matter which way the resistors hook up? Haven't been able to find anything that tells me what way they go. The Diode is the right way according to the instructions I have found but nothing about resistors. Electronic newbie here.

Thanks again
IBNobody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistors have no polarity. Don't worry about reversing them.

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, I'd verify all the connections.

Did you use 1k or 10k resistors? If you used 10k, try 1k.
SirNed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

I used 1k 1/4 watt resistors. I have used a multimeter to check and wires are all good going to where they are supposed to as far as I can tell. Should I be able to get a reading on the other side of the resistors and the Diode? If so what setting on the Multimeter should I be using and does it need power of some sort to get the reading.

Have only used for power in cars so far so explain carefully please.

Thanks again
SirNed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Woohoo sort off Reply with quote

All sorted now. Bright spark me couldn't tell the difference between a Diode & a Resistor so had 2 Diodes and 1 resistor.

Really should have names on them Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: