JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Going beyond basic ir.exe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd_i

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Going beyond basic ir.exe? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have an RS 15-2116 remote, which I have set up using the basic IR learning of the remote and configuration of macros via ir.exe. I have looked into using the excel spreadsheet stuff a few times, but I never really "got it", and gave up.

Now, I am back to try again. But, this time I thought I would ask for some guidance here, and try to start with a modest change.

I would like to override a couple of buttons that I can't program via the remote's learning capabilities. For example:

- Program the Power button for the TV device, to support my Sampo HDTV.
- Program the FAV/SCAN button in VCR mode, to map to the "Favorite Channel Mode" button of my MyHD HDTV recorder PCI card.

Are there any tips or tutorials that would help with the above?

Thanks,
Todd
todd_i

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess reprogramming Power/FAV was not a good example..

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good introduction to moving beyond the basic stuff and figuring out KM?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

I suspect the reason no one has responded is that you have left out to much information to get a specific answer. To answer the first question, we would need to know what setup code you are using for the Sampo TV. The power key should work ok, but to do what you want, you don't need a device upgrade if you are using a built in setup code. Just key move the command. If you have learned the Sampo's commands then you WILL need to create a device upgrade. There is a upgrade file for a Sampo PME-42S6 plasma in the files|devices|TV.

For the second question, I happen to have a MyHD card and know what it is. There is a device upgrade in the files section(files|devices|misc) for a MyHD card are you using that? Also, I am not sure that you can assign a key to the FAV/Scan button on the 2116 without an extender.

As for the general questions about using KM Master, JP1 for beginners is the best reference. It is dated but it describes the process that you must go through to create a device upgrade.

I would start out by making sure that you have the latest version of IR and DecodeIR.dll (both in Files|Tools) and unzip DecodeIR.dll and copy to your windows\system directory. This will decode your learned commands and that will give you the basis of device upgrade if one of the ones mentioned above doesn't have what you want.

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd_i wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good introduction to moving beyond the basic stuff and figuring out KM?

Have you read Jp1 for Beginners and the readme that comes with KM? Those 2 references should cover the basics. Exactly what are you looking to do next?
todd_i

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't give specifics about my components, because I was looking more for some pointers on how to get started - rather than an actual configuration. I have looked at the JP1 for beginners document, but found it to be a bit overwhelming.

After reading some other threads, I think I made some wrong assumptions..

I thought that I could import my current configuration on my remote, then using that configuration, make some easy changes before moving on to the complex stuff. (kind of like the Pronto app works)

But, if I understand it now, importing the data from ir.exe into the Excel spreadsheet is a manual process. I need to create the device completely withing Excel.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, what exactly are you trying to do? Before you start manually copying stuff from IR.exe to KM, take a look in the file section, chances are very good that there's already an upgrade available for each of your devices.

If you can't find upgrades and would like KM files that duplicate some of the built in setup codes in your 15-2116, post a request for them and somebody might well have them and post them for you. You could then use these files as the basis for a new upgrade, suplimented with codes that you have learned. You should then post your new upgrade files into the file section for the next person.
todd_i

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: An Update.. Reply with quote

I had basically given up on this, because I got bogged down in the details of the "JP1 for Beginners" document.. I guess I was getting confused on trying to figure out how the excel portion fit into IR, and how I would create one from scratch.

So, I returned to this while I am at my parents' home for the holidays, setting up their new TV/DVD/HD Receiver. I found the file for the Samsung TS-165, and figured out the relatively easy process of loading that in KM and copying the result into IR.exe.

Now that I see how to do it, it seems simple and obvious.. But, when first reading through the documentation it was not obvious (for me). The size and readability of the JP1 for Beginners document made it more challenging. The odd highlighting in that document detracted from the readability for me.

I think a few smaller documents covering basics, a "bite sized JP1" series would help newbies like me. A small document, which covers a specific objective, providing simple instructions for that one task, would be good.

If anyone else thinks this would be useful, I could take a stab at it.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: An Update.. Reply with quote

todd_i wrote:
The size and readability of the JP1 for Beginners document made it more challenging. The odd highlighting in that document detracted from the readability for me.

You probably got the "beta" version of the revised JP1 for Beginners (I've never looked atthat file myself). You might want to try this version.

Quote:
If anyone else thinks this would be useful, I could take a stab at it.

Numerous others (myself included) have proposed this in the past, but it never seems to get done. If you feel up to the challenge, go for it! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: