JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pls help in creating new device from learned keys via KM/IR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Pls help in creating new device from learned keys via KM/IR Reply with quote

Dear JP1 experts: I am trying to create a new device for PROTON audio receiver. I down loaded the learned values from my RS 1994 remote and found it uses NEC1 dev 128 subdev 125. I created a new device TV 0466 using KeyMap spread sheet and no PROTOCOL PARM.

I defined three functions and keys.
Vol+ obc 009 EFC 057 HEX 6F.
VOL- obc 005 EFC 184 HEX 5F,
Mute obc 030 EFC 246 HEX 87.

KM generated the upgrade code:
Upgrade Code 0 = 11 D2 (TV/0466)
5A 00 41 20 FE 41 6F 5F 87
End

I opened IR and selected RS 1994 and created a new device and paste the upgrade code into the device. The resulting device Information panel shows no "fixed data' (KM shows 20 FE 41). The keys are also wrong as: VOL+ Hex Cmd '20 FE' EFC 189*(use hex), VOL- Hex Cmd '41 6F' EFC 057*(use hex) and Mute Hex Cmd '5F 87' EFC 246*(use hex). I would appreciate very much if you can point out what I did wrong. Do I need to specify a PARM for the PROTOCOL on KM ? If I do, how do I find out what value to use ? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Tim King
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR often doesn't know how to display very short upgrades. That doesn't indicate anything wrong with the upgrade and IR still knows how to install it correctly to the remote even though it doesn't know how to display it.

The "Max Var Size" field in IR can be used to override the thing it is confused about. Type a 1 in there when you want to display that upgrade and the display will be corrected.
tttking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Pls help in creating new device from learned keys via KM/IR Reply with quote

Thanks John. Could you also tell me what the PROTOCOL PARM is for ?
Tim King
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the NEC protocol has been implemented by UEI allows for many variations of NEC signal, and these variations are controlled by the parm. Normally, KM will fill in the parm for you but KM isn't programmed for every possible variation, so it allows you to override the parm if you need to (which you don't).

For example, if you select NEC1 and don't enter a sub-device, the parm will be set to 0x00. If you select NEC2 and do enter a sub-device, the parm will be set to 0x21. All of this is done behind the scenes.

Why don't you go ahead and enter in a bunch more EFC (or OBC) values that you discover through learning and the upgrade will probably start to look better in IR. Like John said, IR tends to trip up over upgrades that only have 2 or 3 buttons in them (but the upgrades will still work).

Also, if you are programming a 15-1994, make sure you have selected the 15-1994 in KM. I see that you say you selected the 15-1994 in IR, you didn't need to select the remote, you should first download your remote's current memory, and in the download process IR will recognize that you have a 15-1994. If you select 15-1994 and then upload this image, you will overlay everything that is currently in your remote.
tttking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: Thank you for the information. Most likely I do not have to worry about the parm override. I did get a proper key display from IR when I set the 'Max Var Size' to '1' as john suggested. Tim King
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: