JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Incomplete Apex Codes for 15-2117

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varaonaid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Incomplete Apex Codes for 15-2117 Reply with quote

Hello,

I need help and suggestions programming a 15-2117. I don't yet have a JP1 cable so I'm exploring manual programming options. The out of the 3 Apex dvd codes for the 15-2117, I found one that works on all buttons except play (and I think stop). FF, RW, menu, select etc all work great. My thought was simply to "learn" those two keys from the original remote. Is this correct or will I encounter any snafoos along the way that I should know about?

Also, while I'm here I have one other similar question. My original tv remote will let me press and hold down the volume button and it will continue going up or down until I let go. On the 15-2117, it will only go up one digit at a time and can be VERY annoying to change the sound quickly. Will it work for me to simply "learn" that key from the original remote as well or will I need JP1 or something to get that fixed?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both cases learning the two missing functions, and the volume problem may be "fixed" temporary untill you get your cable.

With the dvd, you can use IR to decode those two keys and *maybe* replace them with keymoves or create a device upgrade to include all the keys/functions, and maybe some more that the oem can't do.

Have you tried a different setup code for the TV? If you used the search function with the remote, or just quit when you got a close hit going thru the list of codes for the device/mfr. it's possible that one of the other codes on that list may "fit" a little better and work the volumes closer to the oem. If that doesn't pan out, go ahead and see if learning the volume keys produces better results. once you have your cable you'll be able to do more efficient fixes.

Jim
varaonaid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the info. I have to admit, this being my first true universal remote (meaning that it could *actually* control all of my devices and learn too) I'm getting excited. I've spent the past little bit since I first posted the question being a couch potato and generally messing up the 007 Days of Christmas movie my husband is watching! But now I feel like a remote control magician or something! The basic learning functions worked to fix all the current problems and my ego is swelling with pride. Imagine how it will be when I get my JP1 cable...

I realize that "learning" the functions takes up more memory than a JP1 modification but I figure it will work OK for now. I'll redo it JP1 later. (is this correct?)

Thanks again!
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning does use more memory than either an upgrade or using keymoves to fix a few functions. however, in many cases learned signals may be less reliable, of problematic if the protocol is a toggle type.

if you decide to go the extender route later to increase the options/power of your remote, learning may be temporarily shut down. Plus, if you need these same signals to override a VPT issue, or keymoved to a different device mode using the learned signals that way gets messy. you're on the right track, so just WOW that husband of yours with the successes you can already do, then knock his socks off later with the power of JP-1 and your cable.

Jim
varaonaid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, I'm a bit deflated now after that techno lingo from the last post. I'm happy to admit that while I'm relatively tech savvy, this universal remote/JP1 thing is a whole new world for me and I know, well, basically...nothing! Anyway, learned keys are holding out OK for now. You scared me a bit when you said that sometimes learned signals aren't as reliable (and coupled with that foreign remote language, it was flat scary and rather impressive). However, I suppose these are just more reasons that we will *NEED* a JP1 cable! Thanks a bunch again for your help. My husband is already amazed with the remote and what I've made it able to do (actually, it was a Christmas gift for him since he HATES several remotes...I didn't think I'd have the patience to wait till Christmas for him to open it so I could begin playing around with it! terrible, huh?)
varaonaid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an embarrassingly basic question but I don't know any other way to find out. I'm reading about how to build a JP1 cable because my husband really good at that sort of thing but I don't know where to obtain the 6 pin connector. Do you have any ideas on that?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouser is supposed to. however, I'd suggest one of our friendly vendors like filebug or hovisdirect. I think they'd give faster service and cheaper in the long run because they charge bare-bones shipping. Heck, you could get a whole cable kit for 10.00 shipped and be sure to have everything you need, and not have to drive around looking for it or doing web parts searches. I think Hovis now has a premade cable for 14.00, shipped which isn't a bad deal.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you really mean the 6 hole connector (rather than the 6-pin that's built into the remote). If you like, you can make one of these yourself by cutting down the connector off of a hard drive cable or something similar. If you would like a real conenctor, you can buy one from hovisdirect.com. He also has complete kits with everything you need for the cable if you like.

As for the techie stuff in Jim's last post, don't worry about any of that for now. If your learned signals are working, it means you don't have a "toggle bit" and you don't even need to know what that means (and unless you start buying Philips stuff, you may NEVER need to know what that means).

JP1 is a world that let's you get real deap into the techie stuff if you want to, but at the same time, if you just want to get your remote programmed and nothing more, you don't need to know any of the really difficult stuff to accomplish your goals.

Enjoy.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the lingo, you'll catch on as you go. FWIW, i think your husband is lucky to have a wife like you willing to go the extra mile to make his life more comfortable. Watch he don't get too claose, he'll end up stealing all your fun away from you Wink If you need any help either getting something to work, or understanding something, don't be afraid to ask, there's a ton of people here willing to help anyone at any level. Welocme to JP-1, you'll find it a rewarding "hobby", as well as a useful one.
Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six-hole connector is available from mouser; part number is [url=http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=search.listcategory&Ntt=*64971602306*&terms=649-71602-306+&Dk=1&D=*64971602306*&N=0&crc=true]649-71602-306[/url] , and it costs $0.67 . Mr. Green
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: