JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

keymap-master v9.07 available!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: keymap-master v9.07 available! Reply with quote

The latest version of KM (v9.07) is available.

Changes include:
  • Added support for PID 0171 as Sharp DVD (old).
  • Added support for PID 012A as MCE, RC6-6-32 and RC6-M-32.
  • Added support for PID 019B as Konka.
  • Changed 00F8 SharpDVD to add Style, change main device to match DecodeIR & change pcode upgrade logic.
  • Corrected variant 2 of 0114 RCA Combo2 to use comp device & command data; changed to use PID 01B4 for protocol upgrades.
  • Added support for variant 2 of PID 0184 RC-5/6 Combo. (Variant 1 is not supported at this time.)
  • Added P8/740, 6805-RC16/18 & HSC08 executors for 01C9 'hacked' Kasiekyo.
  • Modified display of default device values to show more correct data and added error indication (red text) for device cells.
  • Corrected formula for GetFuncDirectHexEFC2 function to compute proper EFC3 on second hex byte.
  • Corrected error in JVC Combo protocol upgrade.
  • Added b2/ov decodes for several more protocols.
  • Added URC-6690 remote.
  • Combined URC-8820 & URC-10820; added URC-6820; updated phantom & Lx buttons to match latest RDF.
  • Corrected button numbers for DRC400 to match DRC400 Motorola RDF.
  • Update DigitMap entries 363-364.

Last edited by mr_d_p_gumby on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
fpreston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: KM updates Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby

Is there any way to get on an update notification list?

I'm glad you added the URC-6690. I was interested in trying one out and was disappointed that it had not yet been implemented (in the prior release).

Thanks greatly for doing it for us. (Unfortunately, this stuff is rather fun, and I find myself searching for new ways to use the JP1 remote capability. It can be a real time distraction. My URC-8820s now control my video projector, the DirecTIVO, the Dishnet receiver, the home entertainment amp, the VCR, the DVD recorder, my other TV, another DVD player, an additional DVD recorder, and even the Lasko fan. If I ever get an IR543, X10 is also ready to go. I know, 11 devices on one 8-device remote is pushing it a little).

Fred Preston

PS: I'd still like to know the process you go through to update KM (if it isn't too difficult to explain. I couldn't find any direct way to input RDF files into KM). I've worked with hex codes, byte manipulations, and machine programming a good part of the last 30 years, but I'm sure I am way behind you at least in this arena. I haven't done much with Excel macros and VB, however. (I may be a little rusty, too). I am curious, anyway. At least know that us users really appreciate what you are doing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
PS: I'd still like to know the process you go through to update KM (if it isn't too difficult to explain. I couldn't find any direct way to input RDF files into KM).

It isn't easy to explain, and there are some parts that we just can't explain, but if you're interested to see how it works, look for hidden worksheets. There is a hidden sheet for each remote, so that's the first step. There's also a master sheet called DevTypes that controls the dev types for each remote. There's a sheet called buttons2 that controls the way button names change from remote to remote. That's still not enough info for you to be able to completely add a remote to KM yourself, but it's enough to give you a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There is a hidden sheet for each remote, so that's the first step.
Not anymore! Wink Mike consolidated a bunch of stuff so now there's one sheet for OFA models, one for RS models, and one for OEM models.

Quote:
it's enough to give you a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes.
WARNING! It's not for the faint of heart! Surprised

KM is a very complex spreadsheet that's has so many dependencies from one sheet to another that it's very easy to screw it up (I speak from experience). Adding remotes is a very complicated process and unfortunately has no direct correlation to the RDF (though the RDF data is essentially contained in KM).

Another interesting fact is that the nuts & bolts of what KM does is done without macros and VBA code. All we use VBA for is to drive the interface and handle the file I/O. All the calculations are done with standard, albeit very complex in some cases, Excel formulas.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
The Robman wrote:
it's enough to give you a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes.
WARNING! It's not for the faint of heart! Surprised

Ain't that the truth. We've had people ask similar questions in the past wanting to be able to add their un-supported remote to KM, but once they took a peek inside, they decided against it.

I created KM and I'm not sure that I know enough to add a new remote anymore, heck I didn't even know that the remote sheets had been combined! Smile
fpreston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: KM internals Reply with quote

So how are the hidden sheets accessed? Through the VB Editor (under Macros)? (I see extra sheets this way, but don't seem to be able to view the contents of all sheets). I must admit that I am fairly lost. I used to think I was pretty good with Excel, but I am ashamed of my ineptness looking at this.

It seems unlikely that I would be able to become even a novice at this, but I am still interested in learning what I can. I do realize that you have very limited time to provide much assistance, however. Did anyone ever try to document this process or functional layout?

Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format > Sheet > Unhide (then select the hidden sheet name)

KM was never designed to be updated by the masses, so I don't think we wrote up too much. I created it and maintained it up to version 5.19 which is when Mark took over. Somewhere along the line (I don't recall when) Mike jumped in and is now the co-maintainer of it with Mark. So, there's only really 3 people that know anything about it.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I'm glad you added the URC-6690.
You're welcome. I'm sorry to say that I'm not really able to describe the process any better than Rob or Mark. If it helps any, they weren't able to tell me either. Laughing
The Robman wrote:
Somewhere along the line (I don't recall when) Mike jumped in...
What was I thinking? Surprised (Make sure I never do that again!)
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you try to understand what is going on there are several "advanced" techniques. You will think that cells are blank, but you will find instead that the font color and background color are both set to white. Most (if not all) of the pull down lists are done with "Validation" a non-obvious thing that I hadn't seen until I looked at KM. Most formulas are done as "Named" formulas, so that the definition appears in only one place not in a bunch of cells.

After looking at KM, I realized that so much more could be done with Excel than I ever realized. I used several of the techniques in a fairly sophisticated spreadsheet "application" at work. It was nothing near as advanced as KM though.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
After looking at KM, I realized that so much more could be done with Excel than I ever realized.
I was the same way when I first saw it. Surprised

Having to maintain it for 4 years forced me to learn even more Excel tricks. And before you think I'm an Excel guru, I've had a ton of help along the way, so I can't take all the credit. Confused That's part of the reason I dumped it in Mike's lap! Twisted Evil

Rob and I have said it many times: KM is a spreadsheet that thinks it's an application. Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, when I started KM, I knew next to nothing about using Excel. I had seen a spreadsheet detailing some Sony DSP signals that used formulae to convert binary to decimal, so that's how I discovered the BIN2DEC family of functions.

In the very early days of JP1, we had to format the upgrades by hand as there were no tools yet, so I had the idea to use a spreadsheet to do the job for me. That idea lead to a very simple spreadsheet that would format upgrades for the VCR mode in the 15-1994 remote. The first version of KM would format upgrades for three remotes: the 15-1994, the URC-7800 "Cinema 7" and the ReplayTV OEM remote. And when you saved an upgrade, you had to save the entire spreadsheet.

Bit by bit (no pun intended), I would discover new features in Excel, and I would find a way to use them in KM. For example, I saw a spreadsheet at work where you could use drop downs to filter the data, so I wondered what other things could be done with drop downs and my investigations lead to "validation", so I used that to add drop downs to KM. Previously, you had had to enter the number of your remote (eg, 1=15-1994, 2=URC-7800, 3=ReplayTV, etc).

I never did bother to figure out the whole "macros" thing, so a fella called Don Miller added the original macros that we use to load and save files.

But if you stop to think about everything that KM does, it's pretty amazing to think that it's just a spreadsheet. After all, it needs to know the button layout of every remote that it supports, it needs to know which executors are built-in to each remote, and when there are different versions of the executor out there, it needs to know which version is in each remote. It needs to know the OBC-2-EFC formula for every supported protocol and the structure of the device code and command code bytes (ie, LSB, MSB, how many bytes, etc). It needs to know what digitmap tables are loaded into each remote, to help keep the upgrades smaller. It needs to know what format of keymoves are used in each remote.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: KM questions Reply with quote

So, what you are saying is that when Mike realizes what he wasn't thinking when he took over KM upgrades (and drops the hot potato), and it has been a "few" revisions since Mark or Rob looked at KM, we may be in B-I-G trouble! (Mike, I hope you are not old and forgetful like me).

Well, here's hoping you guys are glutons for punishment and don't get pissed off by the tiresome questions from us peon users. My hat is off to you "givers of your time" (not that I wear a hat anyway).

I just wish I could be more helpful to "the jp1 community" than just being a nag to you experts. (I also can't help but desire to know how things work. By the way, if anybody cares, I am an aerospace electrical engineer (34 years). I started with infrared analysis and fiber optics, radar cross-section and material RF measurements, progressed through avionics install design, and now do EMI work on helicopters. Now I'm back to asking about infrared. Go figure).

Thanks guys.

Fred

PS: Rob, there aren't adequate words to describe your Excel accomplishment, but WOW, anyway (even if it might be hiding some junk code behind all those hidden pages. After all it works, and works very well).

PSS: FYI. I started with spreadsheet programs before Lotus 123 came out and before the IBM PC. Yeah, that's pretty old alright. I guess I'm a slow learner to be still asking dumb questions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KM questions Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
So, what you are saying is that when Mike realizes what he wasn't thinking when he took over KM upgrades (and drops the hot potato), and it has been a "few" revisions since Mark or Rob looked at KM, we may be in B-I-G trouble! (Mike, I hope you are not old and forgetful like me).

You're not wrong. When I first noticed the bug with the JVC Combo protocol, I tried to find the cause myself but got lost. I have no doubt that Mark and myself could resume control of KM if we needed to, but as long as Mike's willing to keep it up and running, we're gonna let him! Smile

fpreston wrote:
I just wish I could be more helpful to "the jp1 community" than just being a nag to you experts. (I also can't help but desire to know how things work. By the way, if anybody cares, I am an aerospace electrical engineer (34 years). I started with infrared analysis and fiber optics, radar cross-section and material RF measurements, progressed through avionics install design, and now do EMI work on helicopters. Now I'm back to asking about infrared. Go figure).

Well, if you can think of any way that you can help out with something, let us know as we'll be more than happy to put you to work.

Online communities like this aren't like regular companies where you have a boss who assigns you work, here you have to pretty much come up with your own assignments. Of course, if you do end up writing a program of some sort for us, we'll come to you with bug reports and requests for enhancements!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: KM questions Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I have no doubt that Mark and myself could resume control of KM if we needed to
No! No! Anything but that! Surprised Confused Laughing

Quote:
as long as Mike's willing to keep it up and running, we're gonna let him!
Oh, yeah... we're not stupid! Wink
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: KM questions Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I just wish I could be more helpful to "the jp1 community" than just being a nag to you experts.
If you really have an interest, then don't let our responses here dissuade you. The fact that you have not, like most others, run away screaming at this point is certainly in your favor.
fpreston wrote:
(Mike, I hope you are not old and forgetful like me).
Well, I would answer that, if only I could remember what the question was.
The Robman wrote:
Of course, if you do end up writing a program of some sort for us, we'll come to you with bug reports and requests for enhancements!
I can certainly attest to that!
Mark Pierson wrote:
The Robman wrote:
as long as Mike's willing to keep it up and running, we're gonna let him!
Oh, yeah... we're not stupid! Wink
Yeah! We're not stupid! That's right! We're not... hey! Wait a minute!?! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: