JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Almost "There" with Millenium 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Almost "There" with Millenium 4 Reply with quote

With a little help from James Gammel, I've now programmed my Mil4 to control all 5 devices in my system. But, I've still got one very wierd problem. I've put a macro on each shifted device key to set up the system for the respective device. These macros do the right thing - when they run. But getting them to run is a problem.

The macro on the Shift-Audio key seems to run at every attempt. The macro on the Shift-Cbl key runs only on the second attempt, i.e. Shift-Cbl followed by another Shift-Cbl. With the other three devices, pressing Shift-device initiates the macro only after the Shift-Cbl macro runs - and only one of these three macros will run. To get another of these three macros to run, I have to do another Shift-Cbl.
If anyone would like to help, the IR dump is in the Diagnosis Area of Yahoo under the name Mil 4 - 5 Devices.

Thanks in advance, Don
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at your file in a couple minutes. I have a few hunches about what's causing this behavior. The B04 has a setting for which device is the macro device. The second thing I need to look at is your macros appear to be working as if they are on the multi-macro keys (ABC upper on your remote). If so, those are sequential, ie. to invoke the second, you jabe to press the key twice (to prevent the first you have to shoot it into a pillow.) Gimme a little time and I'll come up with a recommendation. One restriction (maybe unchangeable) is only one power-on macro can be put on a power key, and generally this is the cable-power key. There may be a workaround. I'll get back with you a little later.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGG,

I looked at your configuration, and loaded it into one of my Mill4 B04's.

You had more macro's than your post. You didn't mention the one to a shift-"F" key. Shift-cable almost seems to work, appears to not execute a couple steps. Not having the devices you have makes it hard to see just what's working and what's not. IE, I can see shift-cable executing 6 steps (your actual macro is longer). Shift-any will only exectute after getting the second shift-cable to go, but it's also 6 steps. I can't tell if it's the shift-cable executing or if it's the shift-(vcr,tv,audio) executing ( I can only count the blinks as the macro executes, I can't actually see just what signals are being sent).
I saw you deleted the pre-programmed cable _0476. I also saw two more upgrades which you apparantly made and loaded. The Cable_1503 (dvd?) upgrade looks fine. I'm not so sure about the "audio_1308". Could you upload the KM file for that? It looks like a combo device upgrade, apparantly Audio_0308 with something else.
The macro device is set at "cable". That may be part of the problem. I've been working on an rdf to make that selectable to more than one device, almost there, but no cigar yet. Currently you can only select one, and you have to select at least one of the five. None would be disastrous, as no macros would work. If I can get it to work, I'd like to set it to all five, and maybe totally can having to select just one, thus removing that built-in stupid restriction. Until then, with a little more info, i might be able to get your setup to work, but may take a little time. I notice "VCR" is set at the default setup code, do you have a vcr and does it use vcr_0060?

Jim
DGG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lumped the Shift-F1 macro with my other Shift-device macros since F1 is now my <AUX> device (DVD) select key. Sorry for any confusion.

Re "Macro Device" being set at "Cable", your suspicions were correct. In order for a macro to be executed, the Mil4 remote must be in the mode of the device selected for "Macro Device". That explains why the two presses of Shift-Cable were necessary to execute the Shift-Cable macro. (It seems the first press of Shift-Cable had the effect of just Cable). That macro left the remote in the Cable mode and so allowed for the execution of another macro. However, all the other macros left the remote in a mode other than Cable and, hence, prevented further macro executions until the Cable device button was again depressed. (My earlier report that the Shift-Audio macro could be executed at will has proved erroneous. For reasons I won't go into here, the remote was likely in the Cable mode before most attempts to execute the Shift-Audio macro.)

I have now confirmed that all my macros execute properly if I first select the Cable device. I have also confirmed that, if I change the Macro Device to another device key, that device key (rather than Cable) must be pressed before any macro - including the Power macro - will execute. Note, however, that this is restriced to the pre-programmed device keys. The <AUX> device assigned to the F1 key doesn't work this way; no macros execute under this condition.

This operation, while not particularly limiting, is an annoyance. Hopefully, your efforts to allow multiple macro devices (except for the Power macro, of course) will soon be be successful. Otherwise, I may have to "spring" for an 8911.

If you're still interested, the KM file for my Audio 1308 upgrade is in the diagnosis area under the filename "Technics_SA-EX320_Receiver_(Audio_1308-09)". (I'll leave it there for a couple of days.) It is a combination of Audio 0308 and 0309 using Panasonic Combo 2 protocol (a protocol upgrade as well) - emulating the remote control provided with the Technics receiver. Actually, I'm rather proud of having successfully worked through that quagmire by myself. And, yes, I do have a VCR that uses the VCR 0060 setup code.

Thanks once again for your efforts,
Don
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a temporary workaround:

The F keys are multi-macro keys. They aren't dependent on the cable device. I can't remember just how many other macros you needed, i don't have IR and your configuration up now. Leave the F-1 call to <aux> the way it is set up currently. Put those other macros on the other 2 F keys (B and C). Each will hold *up to three* *up to 15 step* macros. For now, don't try using shift-F keys, just program the macros to the unshifted version of the f keys. (Let's not introduce another problem till we make sure this works first). If you need to stack more than one on any of the other two "F" keys, you'll have to remember which 'slot' has which, and may have to "shoot one into the pillow" since they cycle 1-2-3--1-2-3-etc. This may buy you a little time till I get the macro selectability completely worked out. I'll download your KM file in a few minutes and take a look at it.

also please confirm: you don't need the cable_0476 upgrade that the cable co. preloaded, "cable_0476" (normal) does everything you need it to.

Jim
DGG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, macros on the F keys aren't dependent upon the Macro Device setting. However, it seems Shift-F macros are.

Thanks for the workaround. Unless it's helpful to you, however, I'm going to pass on it for the time being. I have five Shift-device macros and only 2 F keys unoccupied. Pressing the Cable device key before executing a Shift-device macro seems preferable to using the F keys where there would be at least a 50% probability of the system doing the wrong thing first (i.e., shooting one into the pillow.)

Thanks also for reminding me about the Cable 0476 upgrade. It doesn't seem to do anything different from the pre-installed version. But I'll reload it anyway - just to be sure.

Don
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, further to yesterday's reply, I have uncovered what I believe is another deficiency with macros on Mil4. That is, macros are unable to call other macros - at least, when a macro on a Shift-device key was called at the end of a macro the Power key, the called macro did not execute. Both macros work properly when called individually (and without the call to the second macro). I tried several combinations, all to no avail. Do I have to do something special to make this work?

Don
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's not a deficiency. None of the remotes in the native state (without an extender) can nest macros. You're liminted to 15 steps per macro and without an extender you can't stretch this limit by nesting or having macros within a macro. Being that the Mill4 only comes with a 1K eeprom, there's not a whole lot of room for an extender. Swapping the 1K with a 2K eeprom *might* pick up enough room to make an extender worthwhile, but I haven't tested yet whether the remote will even recognize a 2k eeprom, much less where the firmware will distribute the extra space. That's in the works, I just don't know when I'll have time to explore that; although I do have three spare 2K eeproms to try it with.
Being that these are generally "rented" by cable companys, unless one actually owns one not many will modify a remote they don't own. So, even IF a 2K is usable, that puts these remote in a so-few owned category no one is likely to want to even spend the time for making an extender.
I'd imagine you already tried putting the first macro on a "F2", with the last step being "F3" and the remaining macro you wanted on F-3. You've probably already tried putting part (Second "half") on a phantom and calling the phantom as a last step as well.

Jim
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Tried them all. Same result - I was unable to have one macro call another, whether or not the 15 step limit is/would be exceeded.

I'll stay tuned for news on your "all device macro" work.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: