JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymap-master issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpreston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

I am trying to use keymap-master 9.06 with my URC-8820 but most of the keys are mapped wrong (functions show up on the wrong keys). (Loading Gateway DVD remote file). Keys power, 0 to 9 (except for 3 and 8 swapped) seem OK. Most of the remaining keys are messed up in some fashion. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it? I tried figuring out which key is being mapped where, but quickly got confused. A couple keys seem to duplicate functions, also.

Fred
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I am trying to use keymap-master 9.06 with my URC-8820 but most of the keys are mapped wrong (functions show up on the wrong keys). (Loading Gateway DVD remote file).
After loading the upgrade file in KM did you change the selected remote to the 8820?

For what it's worth, I've used KM upgrades on my 8820 without any trouble.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: keymap-master problems with URC-8820 Reply with quote

Yes, I set KM for the URC-8820. I previously programmed it with KM8.23 (for other remote replacements) which only had URC-881X instead. It seemed to work reasonably well although there were obviously some missing button assignments.

I did notice that some of my other programmed controls, which worked previously with KM8.23, did not after reprogramming with KM9.06 and modifying the key layout some.

Can anyone tell me how the URC-8820 was added to KM anyway? Perhaps looking at these details would tell me where things went wrong.

Fred
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the URC-8820 to KM v9.00, using the data in the then-current RDF file for the remote. It works fine on my URC-8820 also.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: keymap-master problems with URC-8820 Reply with quote

I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding you, but I have a few things to clarify:

fpreston wrote:
Yes, I set KM for the URC-8820. I previously programmed it with KM8.23 (for other remote replacements) which only had URC-881X instead. It seemed to work reasonably well although there were obviously some missing button assignments.
Previously programmed what? Did you use KM 8.23 set to the 881x remote to build an upgrade for the 8820? If so, that's not good. Upgrades are remote specific. Something for an 881x won't work properly on an 8820, though some buttons might end up being correct.

Quote:
I did notice that some of my other programmed controls, which worked previously with KM8.23, did not after reprogramming with KM9.06 and modifying the key layout some.
Anytime the selected remote is changed in KM, you should go to the Buttons sheet and at least double-check the function assignments. In many cases, we use generic button names so that, for example, PLAY will be the same regardless of the remote. There are many buttons that can't be handled that way, so it's up to the user to re-assign functions to the proper buttons.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how the URC-8820 was added to KM anyway? Perhaps looking at these details would tell me where things went wrong.
I, as I'm sure Mike did, checked the inner workings of KM when I tested the other day. Everything looks right to me as far as the 8820 is concerned.
fpreston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I started back from scratch and reloaded with only the minimal key modifications. Now everything seems to work. The first time, I started deleting everything unneeded on the remote, first (including macros). Perhaps I did something wrong.

Now I have an issue with adding a Lasko fan to the URC-8820. This never worked with KM8.23 although it would load by selecting the wrong URC-881X device (no 8820 available). Now with KM9.06, when I select URC-8820, the protocol can't compute and lists a 3rd party protocol in the notes. When copying this to IR, IR modifies the upgrade device code and errors with "invalid character in input".

Any thoughts as to how to properly import this protocol?

Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using this protocol for the URC-8820

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 91 (HCS08) Lasko_PB (PB v4.00)
20 14 20 49 11 C5 11 06 06 02 79 00 D5 00 D5 02
79 34 E3 FF FF FF FF FF 03 CC FF 5F
End
fpreston

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

I found out what I did wrong and feel really stupid. I was pasting the protocol into the key moves, instead of into the protocol. (I did it right the first time. I don't know why I did it wrong later).

Anyway, I tried your new protocol for Lasko and the fan still doesn't respond. I am guessing that the only listed Lasko fan code doesn't work for my Lasko 3440 floor fan. Does anyone have the correct device code? (I lost the original remote, so I can't program the codes myself through the learn function).

Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, sorry, this is the only example of a Lasko fan that we've seen.
fpreston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

I just ordered a replacement Lasko 3440 remote. I will probably need some assistance in creating a new remote code and protocol after "learning" (although it is only for 4 buttons).

By the way, the newer protocol (previously supplied) caused my URC-8820 to lock-up. Every time I pressed a button for the Lasko setting, the 8820 light would turn on and not go off. I had to pull the battery to clear it.

Fred

PS: Is there any advantage to using RM instead of KM? If so, how can I update it to include the URC-8820?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
Is there any advantage to using RM instead of KM?
Persoanlly I wouldn't say there's an advantage, but then I'm biased! Surprised

RM is a real application that offers a slicker interface and make some tasks a bit more user friendly while KM is and always will be a spreadsheet that think it's an application. I think it really comes down to user preference.

Keep in mind you'll need to install the Java runtime if you don't already have it in order to run RM.

Quote:
how can I update it to include the URC-8820?
All you need is a current copy of the 8820 RDF in the location where RM expects them to be. Since you're using IR to program the 8820, you likely already have the RDF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Keymap-master issues Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I just ordered a replacement Lasko 3440 remote. I will probably need some assistance in creating a new remote code and protocol after "learning" (although it is only for 4 buttons).

No problem, when the new remote arrives, learn all 4 buttons and then load the IR file into the Diagnosis Area. Then start a new thread in the Protocol Decodes forum.
fpreston

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: FIXED-New Lasko 3440 Fan KM device Reply with quote

I found the Lasko 3440 fan remote (after ordering a new one), The learned codes turned out to be NEC1 Dev1 after all, using EFC 058, 059, 186, 186 for oscillate, timer, speed, and power, respectively.

Upgrade Code 0 = 37 C8 (CD/1992) Lasko_3440_fan (KM v9.06)
5A 00 10 00 0A C1 00 7F 7F 3F 3F 1F 2F 0F
End

The file has been tested and uploaded to home automation.

Thanks so much to everyone for helping and understanding.

Fred

PS: A new question: Is it possible to combine two devices into one (similar to merely learning new keys)? I would like to add the Lasko 3440 functions to my Infocus X1 projector device. Also, how does the remote know which device to assign learned codes to? IR doesn't seem to identify this and doesn't seem to work to reload learned assignments, unless I am just missing something.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: FIXED-New Lasko 3440 Fan KM device Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
Is it possible to combine two devices into one (similar to merely learning new keys)? I would like to add the Lasko 3440 functions to my Infocus X1 projector device.
For just 4 buttons the simplest method would be to create the Lasko commands as keymoves under the projector device on IR's Keymoves tab.

Quote:
Also, how does the remote know which device to assign learned codes to? IR doesn't seem to identify this and doesn't seem to work to reload learned assignments, unless I am just missing something.
Signals are learned to a specific device as evidenced in the Learned Signals tab of IR. For example a command learned to TV:Channel Up would only work when the TV device is selected.
fpreston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: KM Key moves Reply with quote

I don't understand how to use key moves to combine multiple devices (such that a device is now left open for other use). Where can I read how this works?

How are more complex merges of two devices handled (where much more than 4 buttons are involved)?

Fred

PS: I did want to further commend the writers of KM. I thought that KM merely produced data files for relay to and from the remotes. I didn't realize that, at least in the case of protocols, it is transferring actual assembly language machine code to reprogram the processor. I am intrigued by this accomplishment in such a seemingly simplistic device as a remote. I coded machine and assembly language on more complete PC systems years ago, but am amazed that you accomplished it here. Thanks for an incredible feat and for doing so freely for the benefit of others.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: