JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-2117 help - RC5 protocol
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: 15-2117 help - RC5 protocol Reply with quote

Hi, I've recently picked up a 15-2117 and a JP1 cable and am new to this combo. (I've downloaded and used the IR program with success)

I am trying to figure out learned keys and discrete codes for a Philips receiver/cd player (Setup code = 1189). It's one of those stereo and cd player "all in one" unit type receivers.

The Philips original remote has a specific button for "tuner", another for "CD", another for "Aux", and one for "power". When one of the device keys is pressed the receiver turns on and goes into that specific device mode (sounds like the original remote button is a macro). If the unit is already on and it's in a specific device, say CD, and you press "Aux" it just goes into Aux mode. But when the power button is pressed, it only shuts down the receiver, it does NOT turn the receiver on (sounds like a discrete power off only button).

I'd like to have the same functions on the 15-2117 but from what I've read here it doesn't sound like the 15-2117 can do macro's on the device keys or learn to device keys. I do have a JP1 cable and IR program but again I'm new to this.

Can this be done? If so, would I have to learn the original remote device button to another button on the 15-2117, then move it over to the specific device button? Would that work?

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do all that you have described above by using the extender.

there is a remote, it might be the 15-2116/7, that lets you put macros on the device keys without an extender. It might be the OFA8910. I can't recall. (I searched and couldnt find the reference, but it was by The Robman if memory serves me correctly.) Even if it is your remote that can put macros on device keys, I would still advise you to use the extender.
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do what you want, and then some, without an extender. First step is to learn all the signals for each of the "devices" (receiver, tuner, cd). Aux is just an input still leaving you in "audio" mode.

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Please read this. It is a truly fine design that is very similar (I think exactly) what you are trying to do.

Happy Chanukah,
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the reference I was looking for:

The Robman wrote:
The 15-2117 is one of the FEW remotes that allow functions to be programmed (via JP1 only) to the device buttons, so you shouldn't need an extender to do what you want, though it might be advisable to use one.

JP1Files
EdA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and Steve. I'm not sure what an extender is but I'll read up...and it sounds like I might be able to get by without one? I'll have to get up to speed with this.

More questions on how I can get this accomplished will follow, I'm sure, once I've done some more digging.

Thanks,
Ed
EdA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after more researching and reading other posts I couldn't find anything on learning to the device keys, without using an extender.

I learned the original remote's "tuner", "CD", and "aux" keys to the 15-2117's "play", "ff", "rew" keys under the TV device and it worked...but when I tried moving the learned keys over to the device keys with IR it didn't send out any signal. I did this by editting the learned key under the "learned tab" in IR...changing the "device" and "key" designations.

Does anybody know how to do this without an extender?

Thanks,
Ed
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdA wrote:
So after more researching and reading other posts I couldn't find anything on learning to the device keys, without using an extender.

I learned the original remote's "tuner", "CD", and "aux" keys to the 15-2117's "play", "ff", "rew" keys under the TV device and it worked...but when I tried moving the learned keys over to the device keys with IR it didn't send out any signal. I did this by editting the learned key under the "learned tab" in IR...changing the "device" and "key" designations.

Does anybody know how to do this without an extender?

Thanks,
Ed

I don't know about learning to a device key, I'm pretty sure you can't do it, regardless of an extender's presence. In fact, MOST extenders ELIMINATE your learning capability (easy enough to restore by uninstalling the extender, doing your learning and decoding, and then reinstalling it) but just the same, with JP1 you ought not have to rely on learned signals (for other than decoding, certainly not for operation).

You should decode the learned signals and build a device upgrade for them, and on the buttons sheet of the device upgrade you develop, assign the desired functions to the device buttons you want, and they will be transferable to IR as keymoves. Again, I don't know whether you can keymove to the device buttons of a 2117 without an extender installed, but I believe you can, if you really wish to retain your learning.

Having said that, I see no good reason to avoid using an extender. The increased flexibility and power it provides is worth decoding those few functions and building a device upgrade.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2117 is the one of the very few JP1 remotes that allows keymoves and macros on the device buttons, without an extender. You certainly won't be able to learn directly to the device buttons, but you might be able to learn to another button and then change the assigned button in IR. (I've never tried this, so you'll be the first)
EdA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
thanks for the info. I tried doing just what you suggested, as I posted above. Is that the method you thought might work?

Capn Trips,
I was avoiding the extender because of laziness...I literally just learned how to use the JP1 and IR with the remote, and was trying to avoid having to learn another program like extender, and then try to apply it to my situation. I'm not exactly a computer programmer. Looks like I may have to go the extender route.

The saga continues...

Ed
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdA wrote:
Rob,
thanks for the info. I tried doing just what you suggested, as I posted above. Is that the method you thought might work?

Capn Trips,
I was avoiding the extender because of laziness...I literally just learned how to use the JP1 and IR with the remote, and was trying to avoid having to learn another program like extender, and then try to apply it to my situation. I'm not exactly a computer programmer. Looks like I may have to go the extender route.

The saga continues...

Ed

Once you get the hang of the extender, you will wonder why you feared it. It does make things a bit tedious, if you want to learn codes and such, but, it really opens up a whole new way of using the remote. Take this from a guy who has only been doing this for a couple weeks.

My suggestion is to play around. Load up and extender and see what you can do. Just MAKE SURE you save you original remote's setup before you tinker. Then, after you play around, you can just load up your original setup and you are back to normal.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdA wrote:
Rob,

I just re-read your earlier post, and yes, that is what I was suggesting. If you say it doesn't work, you need to do what another poster suggested and use the displayed EFC info instead.

Chances are the learned signals come from the same device code as the main setup code you are using for that device, but you should post the displayed info just in case.
EdA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob,
you said:
"...and use the displayed EFC info instead"

I think I know what you mean....under IR's learning tab, IR shows various codes and such for the learned commands. One of the columns is "EFC", and it displays various numbers under that heading. That's the "displayed EFC info" you are referring to?

If so, I'll post that info.

I really do appreciate everyones help and patience with my slow learning. This forum has been a huge help to me...Thank you.

Ed
EdA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so here is what IR says under the "Learned Signals" tab:
Code:

#    Protocol    Device    Sub-Device    OBC    Hex Cmd            EFC   
1     RC5         20                     63      00 or 01 or 02    018 or 010 or 034

Misc
T=1

Sent Repeatedly While Key Is Being Held
+888 -886 +888 -886 +888 -886 +1802 -1750 +1802 -888 +888 -1748 +888 -886 +888 -886 +888 -886 +888 -886 +888 -886 +888 -90622

So there is it. Can anybody please help me understand this?

Thanks,
Ed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what that data tells you is this...

1) The protocol being used is RC5
2) The RC5 device code being used is 20
3) The OBC being used is 63

My files tell me that this corresponds to the CD/0157 setup code that's in the 15-2117, where 20 is the first device code entered. Therefore the correct EFC for this button is 018.

If you program a keymove using EFC 018 with setup coe CD/0157 you will replicate this learned signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: