JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can 1 Device use 2 protocols?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Can 1 Device use 2 protocols? Reply with quote

I have a product which uses RC5 communication. This forum has been great to help me create a working remote to communicate to it using a Kameleon. Thanks to everyone who has helped!!!

This product has some codes which use a RC5 address of 4 and then some additional commands which use RC5 address of 5 AND to get into service mode you use a RC5 address of 1!

I'd like to create one device which can have commands from all 3 RC5 addresses.

I don't think this is possible with KM or RM but please let me know if you have any ideas. Perhaps I could create something and edit the hex code before uploading to the remote??

Thanks,
George
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about (but never used) the device combiner (DC) protocol. Maybe this would help?
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What range of command numbers do you need?

Many RC5 devices use just command numbers 0 through 63. In that case you can have three different device numbers in an RC5 upgrade. An RC5 upgrade takes 3 device specifications, but with each you need to specify whether it is used with OBCs in the range 0 to 63 or with OBCs in the range 64 to 127. If you need both ranges then one device number will take two of the three device positions in the upgrade.

The "RC-5/5x Combo" protocol can combine all possible RC-5 device and command combinations. You don't need to use any RC-5x signals if you don't want. Notice the "Protocol Help" tab in the KM spreadsheet.

If your upgrade can be done with the RC5 protocol that would be a much smaller and simpler upgrade. Otherwise, use the RC-5/5x protocol. Assuming you don't have a lot of other upgrades, the size of that one shouldn't really matter.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to keep the terminology straight, you don't need 2 "protocols" (as both signals use the RC5 protocol) you need 2 "device codes". There's a big difference.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say that this is the faster forum responses i have ever seen! all of the codes are between 0-63

i'll take a closer look at the way to enter RC5 codes and see if i can get the answer. the problem i have is that the product is in europe and i am in california so i cannot easily test code changes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: