JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to modify the Toshiba_Tivo_DVD.txt file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Trying to modify the Toshiba_Tivo_DVD.txt file Reply with quote

I have a DSR6000 Philips Directivo and recently picked up a Toshiba RS-Tx20 and set each OEM remote to their own remote address. This avoids sending tivo ir signals to both units. You can only have this feature using the OEM remotes though. I currently have 3 OFA 9910s. Well I need to teach the OEM unique address codes for both tivos into the 9910. The 9910 does not have very much memory. I am following Hal Takahara's article,
tivo_dynamic_unit_sel.txt, and I am lost on step #6. The step says to install a Advance Select Protocol in IR I assume. Which tab in IR should I be in? I assume that I paste from his .txt file into IR . I have already pasted the device upgrade and his protocols code into IR via Keymaster. So that part is done. I would like to continue using these 9910s and not have to buy a MX600 which has RF and tons of memory. I have a MX-500 and have yet to run out of memory. Can I modify that toshiba_Tivo_dvd.txt file to use unique remote addresses? Am I on the right path ?
Thanks in Advance
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 learning remotes have limited learning memory, as you have found, which is why we always convert our learned signals into upgrades.

The Toshiba Tivo file in the file section doesn't use the standard Tivo code, so I don't know what the alternative unit codes would be using that file.

If you have both Tivo OEM remotes programmed to the right unit code, learn a few buttons from each of them to see what protocol and device code(s) they are using and post that info here (better yet, post the IR file).
Hockey9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I followed your link at the bottom of the post and I created an upgrade file with all of the buttons off of the Toshiba RS-TX20 remote. I did not include the tv power, input or vol keys since they are running my toshiba tv and sony rcvr and would not work for everyone. I applied the upgrade to my OFA 9910. I gave it a number of VCR 2006. I have uploaded the file, Toshiba_RS-TX20.txt to the PVR_Tivo file section and a sample of captures using IR.exe to the Diagnosis area. Alas, after all of this work, the Toshiba would not respond to the 9910 with the upgrade. I had to change the remote address on the tx20 to 0 (not Set).. luckily there is d-pad on the front panel and I could get to the settings. After setting it to 0 my 9910 works but it also works my dsr6000.. My upgrade works but since I typed the codes in myself I think it is just generic tivo ir commands. Somehow I lost the channel 3 spec that makes the toshiba oem remote only talk to the tx20 when set to 3. In IR.exe, under the learned signals tab it does designate the remote address of 3. In the protocol field, it says, Nec1-TIVO Unit=3.

Ill play with it more tomorrow, but if there is a way to designate remote address 3 , let me know. Hopefully someone looking for a RS-TX20 OEM code will benefit from my upgrade.

Thanks
Url for IR.exe learned :
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3899
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your experiments seem to confirm that both of your Tivo units use the standard Tivo IR codeset, so I'm not sure what relevance the toshiba_Tivo_dvd.txt file has that you mentioned earlier.

So, anyway, the signals that you learned clearly show that this device uses the Tivo protocol, however the KM file that you created uses the NEC1 protocol, which is why you can't change the unit code and you need to set your Tivos to unit code 0 in order for them to respond. If you change the protocol in KM to Tivo, you will see that a new field opens up called "unit code" which will let you change the upgrade to the correct unit code.
Hockey9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Thanks for all of the help so far, I will have to try changing the Protocol in KM to Tivo. I noticed that there are 3 choices. I forget the names, I think it is Tivo Official, tivo 1 and tivo 2. Is one better than the other or should I try them one at a time. I noticed that you do not get a Unit Code unless you change the protocol to Tivo. The protocol number and sub did not seem to change which is good.
I'll try to push them to my remote after work.

Thanks Again
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Tivo (Official)
Hockey9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Unique remote address success ! Reply with quote

I got it working .. but was flustered until I noticed that if you are in the information screen of either tivo. If you send Ir from a different addressed remote. That tivo will then change its address to accommodate that remote you are trying to use. You can inadvertently set both tivos to the same address..

Very Happy Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the early days of JP1, before we had the official Tivo upgrade available, we created an upgrade using NEC1 (just like the one you started with) and we were pleasantly surprised that it worked, then suddenly one day, everybody reported that their Tivo upgrades stopped working.

When you use NEC1, you are actually sending a whole mish-mash of different unit codes with every signal, but as long as the Tivo is set to unit code 0 it doesn't mind. Well, I forget what happened exactly, but I think there was a Tivo software upgrade or something where everybody went to the informational screen at some point and of course, they immediately set their Tivo to use some random other unit code (because they were using the NEC1 signal), which is why we suddely got lots of posts about Tivo upgrades no longer working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: