JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I learn an entire device from a non-JP1 Remote?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEBrown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: How do I learn an entire device from a non-JP1 Remote? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am new to this, but I haven't seen this topic covered, so here goes.

I have an old GE TV, that while it still works great, NONE of the OFA codes will turn it on/off or even change the channels/volume. I have both a URC-7800 Cinema 7 and a RS 15-2116 remote and none of the built in codes seem to work. I have the original remote in working order, though the power key sticks a little. I would like to program the Cinema 7 for this TV.

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V440 AV Receiver which came with a Yamaha RAV246 remote. Surprisingly enough, TV code 1041 on that remote operates my GE TV just fine (I only need power on/off, channel up/down and volume up/down).

I was able to teach the 1L key on the Cinema 7 the power on/off toggle from the original remote.

In general terms, is there a way to learn all the codes from the RAV246 into IR and then transfer them to the Cinema 7? Or, in general terms, how do I transfer the 1L learned key to the TV Power button on my Cinema 7. I say "in general terms" because if you'll give me a clue where to start to look, I'll do the research and learn it.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, your Cinema 7 can learn to just about any key, not just the 1L-4L buttons. The process is the same, just use the button you actually want instead of the L button.

If you are happy with that, you can just leave it that way, or you can get a JP1 cable, hook up your Cinecma 7 to it, and download the EEPROM contents from the Cinema 7. THen go to the Learned Signal Signals tab and see what it says about what the Cinema 7 learned. Using that information you may be able to use KeyMoves instead of leaning, or create a device upgrade using RM or KM.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-7800 can learn onto almost any key, not just the four learning keys (the documentation might mislead you about that). So it's not clear that you need a JP1 cable at all.

However, the learning memory is very limited. It is much more than enough for the five or six keys you mentioned, maybe enough for the whole GE remote, but maybe not enough if you have learned signals for other devices as well.

The JP1 cable and IR program lets you examine learned signals in the memory of the URC7800 (or 15-2116) and then convert them into a form that uses less and a different area of memory in the remote so you can have those signals and have room to learn more (which also can be converted to learn still more etc.).

If you have a JP1 cable, try learning some signals to the 15-2116 and downloading to IR.EXE and reading the decodes. Post the results (protocol name, device number and subdevice number) and there is likely to be some more specific advice we can give you on how to configure the urc7800.
GEBrown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Making Progress Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for the help. I have now been able to learn the TV Power, Up/Down Channel, Up/Down Volume and Mute buttons.

But, since I'd like to learn a little more and I have JP-1 cable here's what else I know.

In IR.exe, under the Learned Signals Tab, the 1L button shows me:

#1: Protocol: ID-OOOD Device:1 OBC:58 Hex Cmd:D1 EFC:132
#2: Protocol: AirB5-7F.77.F7.7F.F7 Device:15 OBC:7

Frequency:38095

Sent Once When Key is Pressed:+840 -5888 +840 -2524 +840 -2524 +840 -2524 +840 -5888 +840 -2524 +840 -5888 +840 -5888 +840 -5888 +840 -2524 +840 -130230

The TV:Power information is exactly the same

The TV:CH+ shows:

#1: Protocol:AirSync3-F7.BF.BF
#2: Protocol:ID-000D Device:6 OBC:38 Hex Cmd:4D IFC:040
#3: Protocol:AirB5-;F7.7F.7F.77.F7 Device:30 OBC:7

Frequency:38095

Sent Repeatedly While Key is Being Held: +840 -2524 +840 -5890 +840 -5890 +840 -2524 +840 -5890 +840 -5890 +840 -2524 +840 -2524 +840 -5890 +840 -2524 +840 -49646

I have TV:CH-, TV:VOL+, TV:VOL-, and TV:Mute information as well.

Finally, down at the bottom of the screen under Learned I have 781 free.

What would I do next?

Thanks very much for the help so far.

Gary
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you have fresh batteries in the OEM remote and learn all the other commands starting with numerals 0 through 9. Save your file in IR and post it to the JP1 Yahoo files|diagnostic area and let us know when you have dne that.

I don't think any of the decoding is correct at this point and one of us will decode your raw signal and create a protocol if necessary.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure all those "ASync" and "AirB" decodes are wrong. I'll assume Jon knows what he's talking about in saying the ID-000D decodes are also wrong (I would need to look a few things up to have a first hand opinion on that).

These learned signals look clean. So:
1) I wouldn't worry about the batteries. New batteries wouldn't change it.
2) You're doing the learning process correctly.
3) If the ID-000D decodes are wrong then I haven't coded any support for this protocol in my decoder yet. So additional signals won't decode any better, but ...

It looks like it is a pretty simple protocol. If Jon or I had a saved file from IR.EXE containing a bunch of the signals we could figure out the pattern (and probably create a protocol upgrade). Including the digits from the original remote would increase the likelyhood that we would get the pattern right.

Jon, the typical symptom of weak batteries in the sending remote is that On pulses get randomly shortened with the next ON still starting in exactly the right place (so the OFF following each ON is increased by exactly the amount that the ON was descreased). It's not always obvious because the ON lengths may be varying for a good reason or because the ON lengths drop all the way down to unmodulated and look like a consistent unmodulated protocol. However, when you see a bunch of ON lengths that are as large as 840 and are this consistent with each other, source remote battery problems are pretty much ruled out.
ClaudeS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:
Just wanted to mention that if you get to the point where need a KM file to do an upgrade for your Yamaha RX-V440, the Yamaha HTR-56xx models are very close if not identical. Last I looked they're weren't any on the JP1 Yahoo site for the RX-V440 but several for the HTR series and they should either work perfectly or give you a big head start. Yamaha also has a web site with all the codes listed including many functions that your original remote won't do.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am pretty sure the GE TV is old setup code TV_0055 and as best I can tell it is not in either the URC-7800 or the RS 15-2116. I created a basic device upgrade in the JP1 Yahoo files http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/TV/TV-0055.txt

Make sure you copy both the device AND protocol upgrade. That should get you started.

John, FYI it does decode as ID-000D but the definition according to your documentation (and my earlier comparison matrix) is {38k,289}<1,-2.6|1,-6.3>(D:3,F:7,1,^25.3m)+ and the time base is way off. ID-0039 (protocol in TV_0055) looks like {38k,840}<1,-3|1,-7>(F:5,~F:5,1,-???) on most keys
{38k,840}<1,-3|1,-7>(F:5,~F:5,1,-59) +on Vol+/-, Ch+/-
GEBrown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: It's Getting Deep in Here!! Reply with quote

Well, again thanks to all who have replied - I feel like I've jumped in with both feet when I was trying to learn a little more slowly!! LOL

Ummm. I perhaps should have mentioned that the GE TV is a second TV and is in my kids room. I thought I could use the Cinema 7 with it to learn the JP1 basics and then take on my bigger project, which is to get the RS 15-2116 "dialed in" with my new Samsung DLP, the Yamaha receiver, and my Samsung 931 DVD. So I REALLY appreciate the effort you guys have put into this.

Anyway, I was able to load the TV-0055 file into KeyMaster. The default remote comes up as the 2116/2117. If I change the remote type to 7800 (Cinema 7), the protocol information goes away. Also, when I try to save the information in "Add Device" in IR, I get an error message that "$223 is not in the correct range" or something close to that, so I suspect that the TV-0055.txt file is specific to the 2116/2117 remotes.

Is there an easy way for me to convert this to the Cinema 7? If not, don't spend any more time on this, as it isn't that important. I have learned ALL of the keys from the OEM remote onto the Cinema 7 and I didn't know I could do that before, so I have learned a LOT, which is part of the point of all this.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help - you guys are great!!

Gary
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

The 7800 probably has that protocol already so you don't need to worry about it. The KM Master file was corrupted and I fixed it and updated the file at Yahoo. The link should still be the same. I tested it in my 7800 and it works fine now. Also I noticed that I called the upgrade TV_1055 in KM Master and you will need to use that setup code in the General Tab in IR for your TV.

What is the model number of the Samsung DLP? There apparently are discrete commands available for some DLP's and firmware upgrades (to the RPTV) that will add discrete commands for others. There has been a lot of discussion in the discrete forum at Remote Central so you may want to look and see what information you can find.

I believe that Rob has already posted the EFC's for Samsung discrete commands at www.hifi-remote.com. Yamaha has a website listed in the links section at JP1 with a brief explanation on how to use them. Most Yamaha's commands are the same across the entire line so any existing upgrade will probably be a good start.

The Samsung DVD probably does not have discrete power commands. So try (with the OEM remote) a Play command from Off. If it turns On then a macro for Play|Stop=On and Play|Power Toggle is off. I think that any device upgrade in the files for the Samsung DVD will work.
GEBrown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Thanks for fixing that KM master file.

I bought the HLN567W, partly because of the new discrete codes. I have been able to use some of them in a 1-button power-up and a 1 button power-down macro. I will now look to use JP-1 to clean that up memory-wise and to create "Play TV" and "Play DVD" buttons/macros.

You are right that the Samsung DVD does not use discrete power-on or power-off codes. But it WILL power up with a "Play" command or with an advanced "Open Drawer" command, so I have a couple of choices on building that "Play DVD" button/macro.

Thanks for the tip on the site explaining how to use the Yamaha commands - I found the advanced codes on the Yamaha site, but wasn't yet sure how to use them.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: