JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

toadtog question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: toadtog question Reply with quote

what is the toggle # for? does 0 do something different than #1 or 2? i am trying to keep my questions simple. Thanks, Doug
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just eight independent flags. You may want to track more than one status, so you would use more than one flag. But each status you're tracking typically involves a few KeyMoves, so each KeyMove needs to know which flag it is using.
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Would each toadtog have a different toggle# to keep track of and if thats the case can only 8 toadtogs be used 0-7?. Am I making this too difficult for myself?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
So, Would each toadtog have a different toggle# to keep track of and if that's the case can only 8 toadtogs be used 0-7?. Am I making this too difficult for myself?
Not clear what you mean by "each ToadTog".

Each FLAG can track ONE item's (binary) state, whether that be the ON vs. OFF state of a Power signal, or the AV1 vs. AV2 state of an input, or any other "state" you wish to track.

So you can use
Flag 0 to track the ON/OFF state of your Toshiba TV,
Flag 1 to track the Digital/Analog processing selection on your receiver,
Flag 2 to track the AM vs. FM state of you Radio tuner,
and so on...

You can USE those flags in ANY NUMBER of functions. There is NO limit to that. For instance, not only can you create functions to turn ON or OFF your Toshiba TV. You can use ToadTog to "test" the status of that flag, and then based on the state of the TV have the remote decide whether or not to set the Vol keys to control the TV speakers or your Amp. The possibilities are limitless.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just gave 3 examples of states of flags. Would you make 3 seperate toadtogs for the different flags then. I guess what I am saying is when you run out of flags do you run out of the toadtog possibilities?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.

ToadTog is designed to track up to eight independent binary items.

If someone had a good reason and enough KeyMove memory to want track more than eight items, I expect one of the experts would come up with an appropriate kludge to do so. But I don't recall anyone asking for that yet.

These things are complicated enough already without adding support for things like that beyond what anyone actually needs.

If anyone ever invents ToadTog for the 8820 (a JP1.2 remote) I expect there wouldn't be as much kludging needed there to work around the 8 item limit (which makes it less likely now that an expert would kludge around it for an older design). It also WOULD HAVE BEEN pretty easy for the 8811s hardware kludged with bigger eeproms, but those were never very popular (for pretty much the same reason we don't get requests for over eight items of ToadTog).
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that I would would want or need to track 8 items, that answers the question and my understanding. thanks, Doug
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're REALLY interested in additional ToadTog flags, there's a discussion of reserving an ADDITIONAL byte to track ANOTHER 8 binary states (apparently proven to work on an 8910) in this thread.

It involves not only being very well acquainted with the extender and ToadTog special protocols themselves, but then MODIFYING the extender -a pretty graduate-level effort in the JP1 world.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
If someone had a good reason and enough KeyMove memory to want track more than eight items, I expect one of the experts would come up with an appropriate kludge to do so. But I don't recall anyone asking for that yet.
Don Grovestine did it.

Capn Trips wrote:
It involves ... MODIFYING the extender
Actually for this one was no need to reassemble the extender nor customize the RDF file. That's needed for playing with timeout.
ToadTog job requires just a replacement of the protocol and the ToadTog device and rebuilding of keymoves slightly.
It works, I'm not kidding. But for another remote it'll requre remapping the free register, otherwise the existing toadTog code should stand unchanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: