JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help creating upgrade for URC-8011 for UK SKY digibox
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaco_scotland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Need help creating upgrade for URC-8011 for UK SKY digibox Reply with quote

On a recent visit to the US I picked up a OFA 8L Device Home Theater at Wallmart (URC-8810B00) which I believe is identical to a URC-8811.
Of course the setup codes are different from European OFA's but I managed to find most of what I needed via searching.
However I was unable to find a code that worked for a SKY digibox remote which the device doesn't appear to have in ROM.
In Europe the device code for this would be 0847 via an upgrade or already contained in ROM.
So I discovered JP1 and set about learning to program it myself.
I have made a working JP1 interface and am using IR v 4.01 with decode v 2.05, Keymap master v 8.03.
Devices and Devices 4 do not appear to have any info on upgrade code 0847 and I was unable to find (despite several hours searching) an upgrade spreadsheet for this code in the group.
So I decided to start from scratch by teaching the URC-8811 various learned codes from the SKY remote and creating a personal upgrade.
My problem seems to be with the protocol, IR shows this to be RC6-6-20 Device 0 Sub Device 0 for all leaned codes and Keymaster doesn't appear to support this one.
I have tried RC6 with no luck however with RC6a gave some success but the keys that work are giving the wrong commands (ie, CH+=2 and CH-=2 also), I also noted that no EFC's are genereated by the learned codes only the OBC and in IR there is a Misc column with "T=0" against each learned code. I have been entering the learned OBC's into Keymaster after swapping EFC/OBC.
Any information or help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounded familiar so I did a search in the Yahoo groups' messages. This thread seems to describe the same device:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/27421

The short answer is that I think you'll need to create the upgrade in RM (not KM) because, according to John (who has a good track record about these things) it's hard(er) to configure the RC6 protocol in KM.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more most (much farther back) that describes how to create the upgrade in KM:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/14173

Hope this helps.

Jason M.
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a similar prob. with a sky digibox remote.
I have learnt all the buttons and in IR they all show protocol RC6-6-20 with Device 0 with no EFCs only OBCs
I have entered all the OBCs into RM (latest version) and obtained the EFCs now I am stuck without a protocol availiable in RM and what to do about the Device 0
Is there any chance that this protocol could be added to RM?

Ron
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:

The short answer is that I think you'll need to create the upgrade in RM (not KM) because, according to John (who has a good track record about these things) it's hard(er) to configure the RC6 protocol in KM.

I tried to remember or find where I said that, because it sounds wrong. I did find where I said:

"I pushed some feature into RemoteMaster intending to make protocol families like RC6-XX-20 less confusing in RM than they'd need to be in KM, but then I never got around to puting the actual protocols into RM."

I don't remember if I or anyone else ever got past that. I'll try to check later whether RC6-XX-20 is supported in RM or whether I can add it easily.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
gjarboni wrote:

I tried to remember or find where I said that, because it sounds wrong. I did find where I said:

"I pushed some feature into RemoteMaster intending to make protocol families like RC6-XX-20 less confusing in RM than they'd need to be in KM, but then I never got around to puting the actual protocols into RM."

My bad -- I was trying to read too quickly and missed the last part. However the other link describes the settings for KM. Does that help either of you?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pid 0020 (mentioned in that thread in the old forum) does support RC6-M-20 given the right fixed data.

Pid 0020 is only present in three of the European models, not in USA models such as the 8811. KM can provide the protocol upgrade. It is a much larger protocol upgrade than it ought to be, but I don't know when if ever I'll have time to provide a smaller version. The size doesn't really matter unless your trying to put a lot of other upgrades in the same 8811.

KM doesn't know how to translate from the M (equals 6) and device (zero) and subdevice (zero) into the correct fixed data for pid 0020. RM doesn't know how to do pid 0020 at all. I think the instructions Jon posted in the other thread are good enough to set up the fixed data in manual mode in KM.
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand to be totally corrected but I think KM has changed considerably since July 2002

I have tried to follow the instructions referred to above and found in the July 2002 thread.

However Jon in that thread refers to accessing column B in setup in KM but column B in KM 8.03 only appears to have reference names and is outside the work space.

OK everyone - now is the time to laugh at me Razz

Please what am I doing wrong!!

Ron
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to put together a small version of the protocol upgrade for RC6-M-20 by making a small change to the simplest version of my protocol for Replay. This post is to review a few facts about these protocols in case I'm misremembering something that Rob or Jon or another expert will notice and correct before I post a protocol.ini based on it.

1) Replay is the same as RC6a and the same as RC6-6-24

2) The 24 data bits in RC6-6-24 are 8 device bits, 8 subdevice bits and 8 OBC bits (in that sequence).

3) The 20 data bits in RC6-6-20 are 8 device bits, 4 subdevice bits and 8 OBC bits (in that sequence).

4) Both Replay and Sky "misuse" RC6 by never toggling the toggle bit (T is always zero).

5) Replay never varies the top two bits of the OBC, by Sky does.

6) The protocol I wrote long ago for replay is RC6-M-24, where the M value, the T value, the device, the subdevice and the top two bits of the OBC are all in fixed data (meaning they are constant across all signals generated by one device upgrade) and only the bottom 6 bits of the OBC vary by command. (It saved a little code in the protocol to have the top two OBC bits in the fixed data rather than in the hex command).

7) For Sky it is reasonable to build RC6-M-20, with M, T, device number and subdevice number all in fixed data and only the 8 bit OBC in the hex command. In protocols.ini, I prefer to make M, T, and device inputs on the setup sheet, even though so far I have seen RC6-M-20 only for Sky and those sample always have M=6, T=0, device=0 and subdevice as either 0 or 12.

Note that the existing Pid 0020 effectively has M, device and subdevice in fixed data (though not in the way I would) and has the T=0 built into the protocol code. (I'd build T=0 into the protocol code too, if it saved space, but I think it costs space).
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part you can figure out what to do by the labels used in the original post.

Under the Setup tab:

For Potocol Name: use Manual Settings (cell C8)
For Device1 use: 236 (cell C9)
For Device2 use 0 (cell C10)
For Protocol ID use 20 (cell C18)
For Signal Style use MSB (Cell C20)
For Remote, use URC-881x / 801x / 601x
For Device Type use Cable or Satellite (cell C3)
For Button Codes use EFC (cell C5)

I don't know what the "Number Table" setting is.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The settings you suggest seem to be for SAT/1175, which is subdevice 12 of RC6-6-20 for which the correct fixed data is "EC 00".

SAT/0847 is subdevice 0 of RC6-6-20, for which the correct fixed data is "E0 00". I think you may want to use 224 instead of 236 in order to get subdevice 0.

I assume "number table" is the KM feature that lets you tell KM that you think its data is incorrect for the digit tables for your model of remote. That might be important in building an upgrade for a remote that KM doesn't really support, but we can assume it supports the 8810 family quite well. Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that this option is no longer visible in KM (when it was visible it certainly generated more questions than its rare usefullness merited).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case I forget these details before I get around to fixing protocols.ini, the fixed data for pid 20 used as RC6-M-20 is layed out as follows:

The top bit of the first byte must always be on.
The next three bits of the first byte are the "M" value (in MSB sequence).
The bottom 4 bits of that byte are the subdevice (in MSB sequence).
The second byte of fixed data is the device (in MSB sequence).

The hex command is the OBC (in MSB sequence).

(In protocol.ini notation all theses fields are MSB and none of them are "comp").
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just uploaded Sky Digibox km to diagnostic area having tried the suggestions for RC6-6-20 to no avail

Would appreciate someone taking a look.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the desired fixed data you should use EITHER the device numbers that produce it OR the raw fixed data value. Leave the other blank.

By setting both the devices and the raw to produce "E0 00" you ended up with "E0 00 E0 00"
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I want to put together a small version of the protocol upgrade for RC6-M-20 by making a small change to the simplest version of my protocol for Replay. This post is to review a few facts about these protocols in case I'm misremembering something that Rob or Jon or another expert will notice and correct before I post a protocol.ini based on it.

1) Replay is the same as RC6a and the same as RC6-6-24

2) The 24 data bits in RC6-6-24 are 8 device bits, 8 subdevice bits and 8 OBC bits (in that sequence).

Replay uses the RC6a protocol, so "Replay" and "RC6a" are synonymous, I don't know enough about the RC6-?-?? protocols to comment the similarity to those.

johnsfine wrote:
4) Both Replay and Sky "misuse" RC6 by never toggling the toggle bit (T is always zero).

5) Replay never varies the top two bits of the OBC, by Sky does.

Those statements acurately describe the Replay/RC6a protocol. (Just FYI, we never tested whether Replay (or Sky) would care if the toggle bit were actually toggled though).

johnsfine wrote:
6) The protocol I wrote long ago for replay is RC6-M-24, where the M value, the T value, the device, the subdevice and the top two bits of the OBC are all in fixed data (meaning they are constant across all signals generated by one device upgrade) and only the bottom 6 bits of the OBC vary by command. (It saved a little code in the protocol to have the top two OBC bits in the fixed data rather than in the hex command).

You actually wrote two protocols for Replay. One was a simple RC6a protocol, and the other had additional built-in features specific to Replay where the top two digits of the OBC were used to invoke these features.

I would imagine that you would want to use the simple RC6a protocol as your base (found by selecting RC6a or Replay (Simple) in KM, and IIRC this protocol has all 8 bits of the OBC as variable data, not fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: