JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Proof of concept: RM as a Web Start app
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Proof of concept: RM as a Web Start app Reply with quote

I've created a special version of RM (based on v1.63) that works as a Web Start application. That means that Java Web Start handles downloading and installing all the necessary files for RM, and automatically downloads updates when there are any. Just click on a link and all of RM (with the support files) gets downloaded and installed transparently, with an icon on the desktop, an entry in the Start menu, and an uninstall utility, and file associations (if I set it up that way).
If you are online, each time you launch RM it checks to see if an update is available. If so it gets it. If not, or you are offline, it uses the already downloaded verson. Seems to work pretty well on Windows.

The draw back is that all the data files RM uses (RDFs, Images & Maps, and protocols.ini) must be bundled in signed jar files. This is good for most users, as they don't have to go get 3 different zip files, unzip them in the right places, and launch RM. Each of the jar files can be updated seperately, so when a new RDF jar is available it is the only one downloaded.

But it makes it impossible for users to add/tweak an RDF, or to tweak protocols.ini, if needed. Of course I could add code to look in the filesystem before loading from the classpath, but this was just a quick proof-of-concept test.

I just thought it was worth a try to see it work. Maybe once RM has taken over for IR it'll make more sense.

Anyway, click here to give it a try.
That URL is low-volume, so it may go down at any time.

Java will prompt you to make sure you trust me and that it is OK for RM to have full access to your system. If you check the "Always trust content from the publisher" box, you'll only see that prompt the first time you run it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the initial installation it seems like a GREAT CONVENIENCE Very Happy

Having said that, my feedback and questions:
1. Will it be a standard installer which permits download and delayed installation?
2. Will it allow use of non-system drive or windows shares and other such non standard locations?
3. Automatic check for updates - will that delay startup of RM? I would think it might, and for that reason a button to check for updates might be more desirable.
4. With the exception of virus signatures, I'm not a great fan of any automatic updates and block them all (including microsoft genuine advantage). Can there be, instead, a button to update. Or several buttons for the key sections (RDFs, images, RM, Java...). The downfall of the "several buttons" option is the possible loss of integrity of the whole thing. The upside is that tweaked files could be retained for a bit.
5. What does it mean "OK for RM to have full access to your system", will it be a can of workms for you to be a help desk for Windows or other security program issues more than it is now?
6. Will you be able to run old and new versions on the same computer from different directories?

I tried downloading last night, but it wouldn't. Before I try again, I need to know which version of java is going to come in and will it overwrite what I now have? Should it? I do have some 1.05...version. I never really know how to handle java runtime versions, especially when they go back Surprised
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more details about how it works, read the Java Web Start Overview. There's also the FAQ, which addresses some of your specific questions in detail.

I'll provide short answers, in bold, to your questions below, for more details see the above links. Remember that I could make RM work well as both a Web Start app and a standalone app, so that users who want to can continue to install RM in much the same fashion it is done today.
I'll be using the acronym JWS for Java Web Start.
ElizabethD wrote:
For the initial installation it seems like a GREAT CONVENIENCE Very Happy

Having said that, my feedback and questions:
  1. Will it be a standard installer which permits download and delayed installation?
    No.
  2. Will it allow use of non-system drive or windows shares and other such non standard locations?
    No.
  3. Automatic check for updates - will that delay startup of RM? I would think it might, and for that reason a button to check for updates might be more desirable.
    Yes, but I think there is a way for a user to launch the application offline, which bypasses all the version checking.
  4. With the exception of virus signatures, I'm not a great fan of any automatic updates and block them all (including microsoft genuine advantage). Can there be, instead, a button to update. Or several buttons for the key sections (RDFs, images, RM, Java...). The downfall of the "several buttons" option is the possible loss of integrity of the whole thing. The upside is that tweaked files could be retained for a bit.
    There can be, but I would have to write all the code for it. JWS does what it does with very little coding work on my part. I like that, so I could focus on the true function of RM rather than on how it is deployed.
  5. What does it mean "OK for RM to have full access to your system", will it be a can of worms for you to be a help desk for Windows or other security program issues more than it is now?
    By default, JWS runs all applications in a "secure sandbox", prohibiting access to the file system, clipboard, printing, network, etc. A Web Start application can be signed and then request full access, which the user must explicitly grant. A standalone Java application (which the current RM is) already has full access to your system, which you implicitly grant by downloading it and launching it.
  6. Will you be able to run old and new versions on the same computer from different directories?
    Not normally. However, an advanced user such as yourself would be able to download different versions outside of JWS and manually install them, in the same way RM installation happens today. There would be some code changes needed to RM to allow it to run in both ways, but those would probably be required anyway to facilitate development and unit testing.

I tried downloading last night, but it wouldn't. Before I try again, I need to know which version of java is going to come in and will it overwrite what I now have? Should it? I do have some 1.05...version. I never really know how to handle java runtime versions, especially when they go back Surprised
According to the documentation, JWS will invisibly download and install the version of the JRE (Java Runtime Environemt) required by the application (in the case ot RM that is 1.5.0), without any impact to the Java version already present, although it does require that JRE 1.2.2 or later already be installed.

Last edited by gfb107 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I discovered some mistakes in the setup for RM by Web Start, which I have corrected. It should work now.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see (from my server access logs) that 2 people have downloaded RM using this method. Any reactions?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try again Greg since it failed on me the other night.

I think Liz touched on it but it would be a good idea for any upgrades to be optional not forced. Java install may already handle that but I have not gotten that far yet.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for the answers, and the reading material. Holy smoke, it's lots!!
1. Do your logs distinguish attempted downloads from the ones that worked?
2. In the past 15-20 min I tried download on one laptop. It's not mine, and pretty much locked up, but I usually don't have download problems.
From this address http://71.70.253.66:8080/
It said Click here to download and install JRE 5.0 and RemoteMaster
So I did and was redirected to
http://java.sun.com/PluginBrowserCheck?pass=http://127.0.0.1/download.html&fail=http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.html
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
and this at the bottom of the error page
Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

There's McAfee on this computer and it might be blocking something ??? But it didn't speak to me.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bug. I never tried it on a system that doesn't have Java installed at all. I think it is fixed now.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this laptop has javaws 1.5.0.10 ??? and runtime v5 but it is not in \programFiles, but installed with another application and bundled in its directory.
In the registry it also has something about java 1.4 connected to oracle

OK, that worked great. Java part came in.
Then It sstarted trying to Launch RM and I got an invalid argument error(s)
1. General tab
An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument Error

Could not load file/URL specified: RemoteMaster.jnlp

2. Exception tab
CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: RemoteMaster.jnlp]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

3. Wrapped Exception tab
java.io.FileNotFoundException: RemoteMaster.jnlp (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I'm watching the router and besides the ip addresses I would expect, it's also going out to 2-3 192.18.x.x addresses black hole type. It being not my computer, I don't know what it's doing, most likely nothing, but might be a clue to some missing files the logs say.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found another bug. Please try again.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got through this time.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. The router stopped doing funny addresses as well.
RM is in front of me Very Happy
Hey, the screen said "Security certificate issued by a company that is not trusted" Figure that Twisted Evil

Thanks. I'll play with it, but not much more tonight.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works good now Greg. Now to go play.

Nils
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, real RSA certificates must be purchased from a Certificate Authority (CA) that supports RSA, such as VeriSign and Thawte.

I just created a temporary self-signed certificate for testing purposes.
Of course, you shouldn't trust a self-signed certificate, because you can't just trust a self-signed certificate.

If we decide that JWS is the way to go, we'll want to get a real certificate, but we'll cross that bridge when (if) we come to it.

One reason for holding back on this whole JWS approach is that I have to repackage the RDFs in a signed JAR file, which means RM and IR won't be able to share them. That won't be an issue when (if) RM assimilates IR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: