JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about the One for All 8910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd3835

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Question about the One for All 8910 Reply with quote

Ok, so I just purchased an 8910. I have a HTPC, and I'm using a USB remote for it. While the remote is fine, I wanted something so that I could still turn on the TV from the couch (not that I need to do much else to the TV). So I picked up the 8910, it was a good price and I didn't need something like a harmony or a pronto. To my surprise, I programed about 20 buttons manually, and was then told the memory was full. The manual states that they will provide support for newer models, with the exception of "Infrared keyboards and pointing devices". This remote I'm learning from is considered to basically be a "HID" device, aka: Keyboard.

So I posted a topic on the PVR software forums and was directed here since I have a JP1 capable remote. He said that I could use a cable to program more. So my question is, Is it the kind of thing where I'm going to have to program some, download, program some more, download and then merge them all together? I have about 30-40 buttons, give or take, to setup for this remote. I tried to find the files area, but didn't see them. I'm guessing there *may* be one made already (It's a "Firefly Mini" remote I'm trying to program from). It all comes down to, do I bother trying to get the JP1 cable, play with it, and hope it works, or just go and spend a little more on another remote that says it supports programming of "more than 30" buttons?

-Todd
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn to just about all buttons on the 8910. You will likely run out of memory around 25 buttons, depending how long the signals are. See
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49
There are stickies in Code Search, Beginners and General forums - good reading there.

There is a keyboard forum here as well. That might help with your remote.

Where is the File section? - see a button above all posts or forums.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer to your apparent question, "Can I program more than about 30 buttons" from a remote to the 8910 is emphatically "Yes!"

You may only LEARN about 20-25 buttons at one time, but several iterations of learning and decoding (for which you need a cable and the software tools available here) and you will be able to build an upgrade and upload it to the 8910 that will duplicate ALL of those buttons and more.

The readings to which Liz points you is the correct starting point to figure out what you can accomplish and how you can do it.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Question about the One for All 8910 Reply with quote

todd3835 wrote:
Is it the kind of thing where I'm going to have to program some, download, program some more, download and then merge them all together?

You might need to do that. If so, what's the problem? You end up with all the buttons you want supported and an extra download is a minimal effort.

todd3835 wrote:
I tried to find the files area, but didn't see them.

You mean you found the file area (linked to from the top section of the page you're reading this in) but failed to find your brand in the file area?

That means the fastest way is to build the whole upgrade yourself from the learned signals captured as discussed above. But if you capture some of the learned signals, download to the PC, and post the decode info, someone may point out an existing upgrade for that code set (which we might not have guessed based on just brand and model).

todd3835 wrote:
do I bother trying to get the JP1 cable, play with it, and hope it works,

It isn't just a "hope". It would work. There is a modest effort involved to learn how to use the JP1 software. Then you get a much better end result than you would get with more expensive brands.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the number of posters here using the 8910 it would seem to be one of the more commonly-used JP1 remotes and would appear to be very stable when used with JP1 cable and software. It has plenty of buttons, can control many devices and has a very good "extender" (additional programming loaded via JP1) that provide it with much greater functionality than the basic out-of-the-box remote.

Although you can only learn 20 to 25 signals at a time you can use JP1 to easily convert these to "upgrades" and have a different signal assigned to just about every button for 8 or so devices. Many upgrades have already been done by others for their devices and have been uploaded to the File Section here.

Currently I have mine controlling PVR, 2 TVs, VCR, DVD player, DVD recorder, DVB-T receiver (like a SAT box), camcorder etc. The volume buttons are set to always control the TV volume regardless of which device is selected and there are macros to control things such as subtitle and interactive service selection or one button-press can be set up to select a device, switch it on and change TV inputs.

Try JP1 for about a week and you'll be hooked and also wonder why anybody would spend so much more on a Pronto, Harmony or other programmable remote.
todd3835

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: JP1 Cable? Reply with quote

Well, I did order a JP1 cable. It's shipped via "Canadian Post". Anyone know if something like that would get hung up in customs? Last time I ordered something from outside the US, It took like 10 weeks to show up and i was like "wtf, i got a package from Taiwan" lol

-Todd

PS: I ordered it from DIYGadget.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: