JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR controlled tower fan - unknown protocol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattg865

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: IR controlled tower fan - unknown protocol Reply with quote

Hey guys, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I have one of those neat tower fans that has an IR remote to them. I've been able to learn it's commands to my 8810w and it successfully emulates the commands. I downloaded the learned signals and here is the link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2840

The learned signals are on the number buttons 1-5 and here is what each one does on the tower fan:

#1--On/Off
#2--Speed Adjust (Low, Med, Hi)
#3--Swing (Turn from left to right)
#4--Timer
#5--Mode (Speed randomly moves through low, med, hi)

I've looked at the learned signals in IR.exe and they look like a bunch of jumbled numbers. I think I have the latest IR.exe and DecodeIR.dll. What I want to do is take these signals and make an upgrade from them to put into another JP1 remote that doesn't have learning. Any help would be great!
damir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2848

Keymap Master file (km_tower_fan.txt) with custom protocol, don't forget to copy it to IR

Also included Protocol Builder file (pb_tower_fan.txt).
mattg865

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It works perfectly! This tower fan is made by Airtech. I bought it at Wal-Mart several years ago. Back then it was the only tower fan they carried. These days they have a HUGE variety of different tower fans. I think all of them are remote controlled. I noticed that they had one that looked just like mine, but it was made by someone else. Again, thank you so much for the upgrade. I mainly use just the on/off, speed, and swivel signals. What I did with the upgrade, is that I used keymoves and put those 3 signals on the PIP buttons as shift keys on the TV device mode.
mattg865

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, would I be able to take that upgrade, put it into a 6131 and use keymoves to take some of that upgrades buttons and move them to, say, the TV mode PIP buttons as shift keys so I can still use PIP?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely
mattg865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Everyone here is such a great help to me. I'm going to by a 6131nw from Surf Remote. I'm just going to use my 8810w for learning purposes only to transfer new devices to the 6131nw. I've had my 8810w since Walmart FIRST started carrying it. It still works good, but the casing is showing some discoloration mainly around the prev button. The information written on the battery cover has almost disappeared.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sell the URC-6131n
mattg865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it for less than what Surf Remote charges? Aren't the ones that they sell with the added parts made by you? I have already placed the order. But I probably won't know in time how much you sell it for before they send it out.

Edit: I just looked at your shop thread and it seems to be only a few dollars less than what Surf Remote charges. Also I could only order by credit card.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modified remotes that Surf sells are indeed made by me and they only charge a few bucks more than me. Of course, I charge them alot less for the remotes than what I sell them for individually as they buy them in bulk, but you are supporting this web site either way.
mattg865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help. The 8810w I have wasn't the first URC remote I've had. The first one was the URC-7800 Cinema 7. I got that a loooooong time ago. Cost about 50 bucks at Circuit City back then. I've still got it and the code/instruction booklet. I also still have the package my 8810w came in still in the closet. Now if I can only find a way to install the 6 pin header in the 7800. I used the 6 pin header that came with my JP1 cable and put it into the JP1 cable and the other end into the 7800's 6 holes. I tried many times to get a good connection and have it talk to IR.exe and I DID manage to get a dump of the remotes memory. My mother uses the 7800 now and I've been using the 8810w to control all my stuff. Strange thing about the 7800 is that when I bought it, the package looked like it was never opened before. But when I got it home and opened the package and looked at the code book, it looked like someone had written in some of those squares that you write a 4 digit code in to remember it. But the remote has and is still serving it's purpose and my mother likes that remote a lot too.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg865 wrote:
Glad I could help.

Hopefully you will keep me in mind if you need to buy any more JP1 remotes though.

mattg865 wrote:
Now if I can only find a way to install the 6 pin header in the 7800.

That's about the easiest hardware mod that there is in the JP1 world, all you need to do is open up the remote casing and solder the 6-pin into the holes, then you'll get a perfect connection every time.
mattg865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll know that if I need to get another JP1 remote, it'll be from you, Robman. When I get my 6131nw I'll have my mother take a look at it and if she likes it, then I'll get another one for her. And about soldering that part in, I don't happen to have a soldering iron nor the expertise of using one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: