JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8040 (pads) possible mod?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaribaud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: URC-8040 (pads) possible mod? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

First off, sorry for my lack of hardware technical english. Embarassed

I have a URC-8040 (One4all Kameleon 4-in-1 old model), which has pads instead of a connector.

Seeing as pogo adapters at iResolved are out of stock and there doesn't seem to be many other sources around, and seeing as I prefer a good ole connector anyway, I was wondering about modding the URC.

From the looks of it, I might be able to drill through the pads and solder a length of 6-wire cable with the connector at the end, or even directly solder the connector if I can find a horizontal one that fits.

What do hardware-savvy people around here think of it? If this is viable, what vendors/references should I lookup for 6-pin male horizontal PCB connectors or straight wire-end connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Albert.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to drill holes you could damage things on the front of the circuit board in the region of the colour keys. If you solder any sort of connector directly to the pads you will possibly not leave enough room to get the batteries in and out. You could solder wires onto the pads and attach a mini-connector to that but I wouldn't bet on it staying attached for long. I'd recommend getting some pogo pins and making your own connector or trying out my springs connector if you can't get pogo pins.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the design of the URC-8040 so I can't say whether a 6-pin would block the batteries, but this would certainly be the case with the URC-8060.

The battery compartment is designed differently for the US URC-9960 models, which also have pads. For these models I just stand a 6-pin on the pads and then solder it in place. Once soldered, I add hot glue for extra support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: