JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USING TOADTOG ON IR615

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: USING TOADTOG ON IR615 Reply with quote

After lots of reading and investigating I managed to set up an Extender for the URC8910 successfully.

I had no problem understanding how to set up Device Specific Macro's thanks to the user friendly Special Protocol Functions screen of IR615.

I am still a bit confused as to how TOADTOG's operates using this same screen on IR615.

After selecting the TOADTOG protocol the screen is divided into the following three sections:

BOUND KEY
PARAMETERS
MACRO DEFINITION

I am under the impression that the bound key is what executes the function;

the parameters determine what toggle is examined or changed; and

the macro definition is for setting two macro, one to be run if a result is positive and the other to be run if a result in negative.

If the power of one device was being tested when pressing a key and the macro to be run was dependent on whether the power of the device was on or off, how would this be entered on the Special Protocol Functions screen of IR615 ?

Using my own interpretation of the screen I can't see how the handset knows enough about what is being tested from only the parameters section.

Thanks for any help
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: USING TOADTOG ON IR615 Reply with quote

GOGGS75 wrote:

I am under the impression that the bound key is what executes the function;
Correct.
GOGGS75 wrote:

the parameters determine what toggle is examined or changed;
AND what condition you desire as your end state
GOGGS75 wrote:
the macro definition is for setting two macro, one to be run if a result is positive and the other to be run if a result in negative.
Yup.
GOGGS75 wrote:
If the power of one device was being tested when pressing a key and the macro to be run was dependent on whether the power of the device was on or off, how would this be entered on the Special Protocol Functions screen of IR615 ?
The labels of the two macro definition sequences vary depending on what "condition" you selected in the Parameters block. I have never used the "Test Only" option, although I can imagine when it might be useful, BUT for the typical "Force On" or "Force Off", basically you tell the remote what sequences of keypresses to execute based on the result of the toggle bit check. For "Force On" - normally you would leave the "Already On" list blank, and put "Dev_XXX; Power" (or "shift-Power" if you're using shift-cloaking) for the "Off/On Keys" - i.e. if already On, it will do nothing (including NOT shifting the toggle bit state), if not on, it will send the device's Power toggle signal (AND SHIFT the designated toggle bit).

GOGGS75 wrote:
Using my own interpretation of the screen I can't see how the handset knows enough about what is being tested from only the parameters section.
The display in IR is basically for the end user - if it works, what else do you need to know? As far as HOW it works, have you read the ToadTog ReadMe packaged with the extender? It explains pretty well what goes on, but the bottom line is the toggle bit is saved in the EEPROM - that's what the ToadTog Special Protocol does. It reserves a handful of EEPROM locations (8 ) for storing the toggle status. Consequently, you can only have 8 ToadTog functions that are tracked by Toggle Bits.
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: USING TOADTOG ON IR615 Reply with quote

Having read the README packaged with the extender I am still not quite following what a toggle bit is designated to and how this is information is entered on IR615.

I have four devices under control of the handset, two TV's with both a VCR and a Digi Box linked to both. The problem this leaves is the Volume Keys don't know which TV to give control to when using the Digi Box or VCR and adjusting the volume.

A simple DSM assigned to the volume keys allows the volume on both TV's to be adjusted (i.e. DEV_TV;VOL+;DEV_AUX;VOL+) when using the Digi Box or VCR but can a toadtog be used to ascertain which TV is turned on before working out which TV's volume to adjust ? Is the simple DSM just as efficient ?

Thanks for any help.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: USING TOADTOG ON IR615 Reply with quote

GOGGS75 wrote:
... but can a toadtog be used to ascertain which TV is turned on before working out which TV's volume to adjust ?

I'd think so. There were several posts in this section with similar question. Search for "multiple AND rooms".

If push come to shove, use the test bit of the ToadTog protocol. I only used it once for something else and not two TVs.
Untried suggestion, but it might work:
Set the bit when TV is active. Clear it otherwise.
Then in your macro, call the ToadTog keymove which, depending on whether the flag is on or off, should control the volume of either AUX or TV. You'd code the volume job on both sides of the ToadTog, one side for AUX, one side for TV.

I'm sure you'll hear from the experts if this is unlikely to work.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something, the macro, as written controls both TVs. But you seem to want to control them separately. In which case no complications are needed. I think what you need is to code Vol+ separately in your TV and AUX device macros. When you push TV, its volume will go up. The same for AUX.

It's not clear to me whether it's the tv's volume you want to control or some other device you mentioned.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: USING TOADTOG ON IR615 Reply with quote

GOGGS75 wrote:
can a toadtog be used to ascertain which TV is turned on before working out which TV's volume to adjust ? Is the simple DSM just as efficient ?
The remote can't actually tell which TV is on but couldn't you assign macros to the device keys so that TV turns on TV1 and you use its volume controls and AUX (or something) turns on TV2 etc. I'm not clear exactly what you want to do and why.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what you're trying to do. You have TWO TVs. One is on the "TV" device key and the other is (say) on the "AUX" key. ONE of these TVs will be on while the other is off (under normal circumstances). You want the Volume keys to always operate that TV which happens to be ON regardless what video source you are using. Is that about right?

This can be set up using TT, but there are a few variables.

Are you using Discrete On and Off commands for one or both of the TVs, or are you only using Power Toggles?

If using any discretes, are they "natural" discretes (i.e. is there an OBC/EFC that executes the function) or are you creating "virtual discretes" with TT?

Regardless, you will have to create TT functions for powering on and off at least one of the TVs.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you are using a natural Power Toggle function for the TV device, and that it is assigned to the "Power" button in the TV device mode. Build TT functions as follows:

(1) Device TV:Power
Toggle # 0, condition "(toggle)"
On/Off sequence: Dev_TV, shift-Power
Off/On Sequence: Dev_TV, shift-Power
Note: This will set toggle bit 0 when you turn on the TV and clear bit 0 when you power it off. To be more precise, the bit will be toggled EVERY TIME YOU PUSH THE "TV" POWER BUTTON - whether or not the TV responds. Regardless of the toggle bit state, the Power signal will be sent. (using "shift-power" instead of "power" stops the macro from calling itself, but ensure you don't assign any function to "shift-power". Read about "shift-cloaking")

(2) Device TV: Volume up
Toggle # 0, condition "Test only"
On Keys: Dev_TV, shift-Volume up
Off Keys: Dev_AUX, shift-Volume up
Note: This will TEST whether bit 0 is set. IF SET, it will send the VOL UP command for the TV. IF NOT SET, it will send the VOL UP command for AUX.

You will have to repeat this for Vol down, AND repeat these TWO TT functions for your other devices (VCR and Digibox).

Now section (1) above will have to vary if
(a) you are using "natural" discretes (set up TWO TTs to SET the bit when you send "discrete ON" and clear the bit when you send "discrete OFF"); or
(b) you are creating "virtual" discretes with TT (Force On and Force Off sequences)
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the extender you use, you may be able to do what you want without ToadTog. With the 2116 extenter that I am familiar with, you have a macro on the device button that assigns each of the button groups to a device. The SET_VOL_KEYS command sets the Mute, Vol+ and Vol- keys to go to the current device. So, in the macro for TV using SET_VOL_KEYS will assign these keys to the TV and in the macro for AUX using the SET_VOL_KEYS will assign these keys to the other TV. As long as there is no other use of SET_VOL_KEYS the most recent definition will stick and these 3 keys will punch through to the most recent TV that was selected by a device button.
GOGGS75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips was correct in his understanding of what I was trying to achieve.

Quote:
I think I understand what you're trying to do. You have TWO TVs. One is on the "TV" device key and the other is (say) on the "AUX" key. ONE of these TVs will be on while the other is off (under normal circumstances). You want the Volume keys to always operate that TV which happens to be ON regardless what video source you are using. Is that about right?

Following the advise of ph7-jp1 I managed to achieve this without TOADTOG. All I needed to do was adjust the macro's assigned to the device keys. Previously every device key used the command SET_VOL_KEYS now only the TV and AUX device use this command.

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: