JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Building Protocol for Dimmer Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Help Building Protocol for Dimmer Light Reply with quote

I havent a clue how to do this so i would appreciate a little help. I have a dimmer light with a 1 button remote. When i learn the signal, IR.exe gives me raw signal information of

Frequency:38277

Sent Once When Key is Pressed: Nothing

Send Repeatedly While Key Is Being Held:
+1254 -430 +1254 -430 +418 -1266 +1254 -430 +1254 -430 +418 -1266 +418 -1266 +1254 -430 +418 -1266 +418 -1266 +418 -1266 +418 -8010

Send Once On Completion Of Other Bursts: Nothing

How do i turn this into a protocol which i can then use in keymapmaster and how do i use this once in keymapmaster

Thanks

BouncyBrian
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to?

For just one button, isn't it easier to keep it as a learned signal?

Looking at it in the above (inconvenient) form, I can't tell why it isn't F12 protocol, which DecodeIr should decode. But even if it is F12, I don't know what KM support there may be.

If there is some good reason to convert this from a learned signal to something else, then upload the .ir file containing that signal to the diagnosis area so we can get a better look.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the skinny on the signal you posted...

freq = 38.3
LI = n/a
0 = +418 -1266
1 = +1254 -430
LO = -6744
binary: 1101 10010000

To set this up in KM, select "Manual Settings" as the protocol and paste the following protocol into the Notes section:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FF (S3C8+) PB v3.11
43 8A 11 8B 0E 85 01 04 08 02 73 00 C3 00 D1 02
65 0D 2C 8D 01 46
End

Enter 11 as the device code and select OBC as the button codes. Then in the Manual Settings section, enter:

PID: 01FF
2nd byte: None
Style: LSB
Bits/dev: 4
Bits/cmd: 8

The go to the Functions sheet and enter this command with an OBC of 9.

Just FYI, if you take a closer look at the binary, you'll notice that the first 5 bits are the complement of the next 5 bits:

11011 00100 00

If we had more signals to go on, we would know if this was a coincidence of whether it is a rule, and as such we could build it into the protocol, but as there's just one button, it doesn't make a difference.
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that Rob and its worked a charm as a device upgrade, thank you very very much.

Basically its just a one button remote which when pressed turns the light on and odd, and when held in, dims the light up, down, up, down etc...... I was going to keep it learned but i like my Kameleon to have proper upgrades in case it needs reinstalling, or moving to another JP1 remote.

Now what i would like to do is to use this within the settings that I have for my satelite tv (custom sky setup). Would I simply assign it to a device that im not using (e.g. c.d. player) and then do a key move in IR.exe, or is there another nicer way of incorporating two devices to use seperate buttons (e.g. im not using one button on my remote in sky that id have assigned to the dimmer) into one setup code?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouncybrian wrote:
Would I simply assign it to a device that im not using (e.g. c.d. player) and then do a key move in IR.exe,

There is no need to assign that setup code to any device button.

With the device upgrade and protocol upgrade present in the eeprom image, you can simply define the KeyMove you want.

The device upgrade you tested includes a key assigned to that one function. That isn't needed and you could save a tiny amound of upgrade memory by removing that button assignment from the device upgrade (and transfering the upgrade again from KM to IR).

Rob instructed you to use an OBC number to define that function. For the KeyMove you need the EFC number. You can look at your current upgrade either in IR.EXE's devices tab or KM's functions tab to find that EFC number.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouncybrian wrote:
Now what i would like to do is to use this within the settings that I have for my satelite tv (custom sky setup). ....is there another nicer way of incorporating two devices to use seperate buttons ... into one setup code?
John's advice above is perfectly correct, and probably quickest, but I might recommend a "cleaner" way of getting it where you want - AND having it saved that way IN YOUR DEVICE UPGRADE - as opposed to only having the KeyMove recorded in your IR file.

In your KM upgrade for the dimmer, DO NOT assign the "dimmer" function to any button on the buttons tab. Go to the "KeyMoves" tab (the next one over). Presuming your Sky upgrade is assigned to the "SAT" device, you would create a KeyMove in KM as follows:
Function = "dimmer" (or whatever you've called it)
Bound Device = "SAT" (or whatever you have your Sky upgrade assigned to)
Bound Key="light" (or wherever you want this function to reside)

VOILA! Your KM device upgrade will automatically create the necessary KeyMove for you to copy and paste into IR. Notice, however, that this is a SEPARATE "Copy and Paste" from the Protocol upgrade and Device upgrade for this item. This way, your KeyMove is already stored with the KM Device upgrade for modification/use when you use that upgrade in another IR file someday.
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Johnsfine, ill try that now then but it all seems straight forward. You guys are just amazing when it comes to JP1 stuff.

Id just love to know how Rob worked out an OBC of 9 (which is an efc of 142 on keymap master).

Again thanks for your help.
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks aswell Capn Trips
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman
Hi, i think i can get my head round how Robman worked out the protocol information (assigning one pair of bursts as 1 and another as 0 etc) but im still in the dark how you arrived at the OBC.

I only ask so that I can better understand it and hopefully dont have to burden you in future with silly questions.

Cheers
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

0 = +418 -1266

1 = +1254 -430

binary: 1101 10010000

If you understand how the burst pairs correspond to bits, then you should be able to see how Rob got that "binary" sequence of 12 bits from the original sequence of bursts you posted.

Then you must be wondering how he got the device number 11 and the OBC 9 from that sequence of 12 bits.

The majority of IR protocols use "LSB" sequence (Least Significant Bit first). If you've written the bit sequence left to right (as Rob did in the text I quoted) then LSB requires you to reverse the sequence of each section before converting from binary to decimal.
1011 00001001
If you convert those from binary to decimal you get 11 and 9.
bouncybrian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right i think i get it now then but could i just clarify if my understanding of protocols is now correct (i apologise if i confuse myself a little and annoy you)

It all depends on the length of the raw signal you receive. In this case its 12 bits in length (has 12 seperate parts of +- codes). Due to this you seperate this into 4 (dev)/8 (cmd). Im assuming the dev part is essentially the protocol side of things, and the cmd side is whatever is generated whenever an OBC is called (in this case 9 will send out the last 8 bits). If i was making this into a protocol, id have to take the last -8010 and use the LO to increase the final command of -1266 by -6744 to make it -8010 (however it doesnt seem ive needed to do this in keymapmaster when setting the protocol options manually). If the raw signal was 16 bits in length then id apply the same principle but 8(dev)/8(cmd). Is it always either 12 or 16 bits?

If this is essentially correct, i may have grasped this and thank you for all your help.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouncybrian wrote:
It all depends on the length of the raw signal you receive.

A lot more than length varies from one protocol to another.

bouncybrian wrote:
In this case its 12 bits in length (has 12 seperate parts of +- codes).

Usually "lead out" is a whole burst, so usually 12 bursts would be 11 or fewer bits (there may also be "lead in").

With just one sample and the first and last bursts consistent with the others we can only guess whether there are 10, 11 or 12 bits.

bouncybrian wrote:
If i was making this into a protocol, id have to take the last -8010 and use the LO to increase the final command of -1266 by -6744 to make it -8010 (however it doesnt seem ive needed to do this in keymapmaster when setting the protocol options manually).

If lead out isn't a whole burst then as you described it gets added to the second half of the last bit. That is all specified in Protocol Builder (for creating simple protocol executors). KM, even with manual settings still takes a protocol executor built elsewhere that encodes all those details.

bouncybrian wrote:
If the raw signal was 16 bits in length then id apply the same principle but 8(dev)/8(cmd). Is it always either 12 or 16 bits?

There are many lengths. Without looking anything up, I can recall some as short as 5 bits (plus lead out for 6 bursts) and some as long as 56 bits (plus lead in and lead out for 58 bursts).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: