JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

technics st-s98a receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyjaymes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: technics st-s98a receiver Reply with quote

i recently purchased this receiver with amp. i did not get a remote as the units are used.i hooked all my spkrs, computer, denon cd, to no avail! standby light is on, display is on, i even see volume increase and decrease on display, though, no sound output. i have spent hours online researching, have gotten nowhere. questions are; do i need to get off standby for system sounds to occur? if so, is a remote mandatory to do so? if so, will any of my other remotes do the trick?

i have the following remotes;
rca universal for directv mdl rcr1605bm1,
jvc lp20034-013,
radioshack 4-in-one light-up remote,
sony rmt-v501c,
sony av system2 rm-u665 .

i have been unable to locate a manual anywhere i've tried. please advice, TIA (thanks in advance) jimmyjaymes
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the Tape Monitor isn't switched on. Yes, get a better remote, one-for-all perhaps. Very Happy
jimmyjaymes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: technics st-s98a receiver Reply with quote

thanx for your reply MaskedMan.any ideas on whereabouts for manuals, (service, user,...) would be readily appreciated. i have searched for hours, for a free one, just believe info can be bartered. anything you need, give me a try. TIA jimmy p.s. : what, if any other than power reduction, does solid on standby mean? oh, tape is not on. i get that this light being on is showing power saving mode. can i switch this mode without a remote? thanx again. by the way, can i use a remote which does not say av on it? my direct tv remote has 6 device buttons, 2 of which are aux1,2. please consider.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little searching myself and it appears that you will have to pay for a manual from one of the archive sites if you want one. I went to the main Panasonic site (as Technics are made by them) and while they do have several manuals available for Technics receivers, they don't have your exact model. However, it's quite possible that things aren't so different from one model to another, so maybe it's worth downloading a couple of them to see.

As for controlling this thing with a remote, we have done quite a bit of documenting of the Panasonic (aka Technics) signals used for audio devices, so if you were to become a JP1 user, I'm sure we could set you up.

The AMP functions probably use a Panasonic 160.0 signal.
The TUNER functions probably use a Panasonic 160.4 signal.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the display is on and you can see the volume indicator changing then the amp is probably "on" and probably working. Here are a few questions.

Do you have any "pre-out" jumpers in place? Many of these amps can be used as a preamp only (pre-pro). The pre-out must be jumped back to the pre-in (jacks should be marked on the back and it's usually a U shaped jumper)

Have you tried headphones?

Have you selected only one set of speakers? Some amps reroute the speaker wiring when two sets are hooked up and selecting A+B with only A connected will result in no audio. Have you selected any speakers?

Do you hear any speaker relays clicking? Usually after 5 - 10 seconds from turn-on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: