JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've downloaded from the remote need to mod.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of IR and DecodeIR are you using? You can see that on the About dialog, which you get to through the Help menu.

I've got IR 6.15 and DecodeIR 2.29, and the protocol is listed as "Tivo unit=2".

When you assume that the other DVR switch position uses "unit=1" that may be a big assumption. It all depends on how you setup the remotes and the TiVos when you programmed the remote address in the first place.

There are two ways to find out what unit the other switch position uses:
  1. Learn a signal from the other switch position and look at it in IR
  2. Go to "System Information" on your TiVo and see what it says for "Remote Address". What TiVo calls Remote Address, we call "unit". Just be careful to not leave your TiVos on the System Information screen, because they will switch remote addresses to the one in the next IR signal received.

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:

I downloaded the upgrades you suggested. But I'm still having trouble gettting the two Tivo units to understand WHICH one I'm wanting to control.

doni-49 wrote:
OR how can I use the upgrades that are available for download to control the two seperate Tivo's?

Maybe Rob and Greg are already answering this well enough. But I'm having trouble guessing which aspect of the task is confusing you, so I think they might also be answering the wrong part of your question.

Some of the things you need to understand are:

1) How to get a specific Tivo to listen to IR commands of a specific unit. Greg gave you a hint in his post above, but I don't see (nor recall from other threads) the clear answer.

Some device like this, but I don't recall whether it is this one, has a default unit number and accepts commands of that default unit even when set for another unit. If that's the case you may need to change the unit number of both upgrades to get them disjoint, rather than just change one.

2) How in KM or RM to change the unit number of an upgrade. It seems obvious to me. But often what is obvious to experienced JP1 users isn't really obvious.

3) How to use two different modifications of the same upgrade in the same remote at the same time. Again obvious to an experienced JP1 user: you need to change the setup code number of one of them so the remote has a way to know which is which.

4) How to relate the names and numbers you see reported in decoded signals to what you see in the upgrade file. That seems to be a focus of this thread, but I don't see either why it is hard or why it is necessary. The upgrade and other general posted info about Tivos is enough you shouldn't need to decode learned signals at all. The terminology is typically a little different across KM, RM and DecodeIr, but it isn't so different that seeing the correspondence should be hard.

If I'm still missing the aspect of this that has you confused (and/or I named it but failed to clarify it) please ask the question more clearly. Tell us which aspects of the problem you don't understand.
doni-49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
What version of IR and DecodeIR are you using? You can see that on the About dialog, which you get to through the Help menu.

I've got IR 6.15 and DecodeIR 2.29, and the protocol is listed as "Tivo unit=2".

I'll check the version tonight when I get home. But it's what I downloaded when I first started trying to figure this out (5/05).
gfb107 wrote:

When you assume that the other DVR switch position uses "unit=1" that may be a big assumption. It all depends on how you setup the remotes and the TiVos when you programmed the remote address in the first place.

There are two ways to find out what unit the other switch position uses:Learn a signal from the other switch position and look at it in IR
- or -
Go to "System Information" on your TiVo and see what it says for "Remote Address".

System information has the other Tivo unit's "remote address" set to 1.

gfb107 wrote:

What TiVo calls Remote Address, we call "unit". Just be careful to not leave your TiVos on the System Information screen, because they will switch remote addresses to the one in the next IR signal received.

I wondered why it kept switching remote addresses.

Thx.
doni-49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

There are TWO aspects of confusion remaining (one of which MAY have been answered already--I'll find out when I get home tonight per my last reply):

Getting the remotes to talk to the two seperate Tivo units and have THEM understand WHICH one I'm trying to control.

Gettting my macros programmed in properly.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:
Getting the remotes to talk to the two seperate Tivo units

That part's easy as I described above.

doni-49 wrote:
and have THEM understand WHICH one I'm trying to control.

Not being a Tivo user, I had to resort to Google to answer this one...
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv030402.htm

doni-49 wrote:

You'll need to explain which part is confusing you for us to help, as it all seems pretty obvious to us.
doni-49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
doni-49 wrote:
Getting the remotes to talk to the two seperate Tivo units

That part's easy as I described above.

I've got it that far--even had it that far before asking for help.
The Robman wrote:

doni-49 wrote:
and have THEM understand WHICH one I'm trying to control.

Not being a Tivo user, I had to resort to Google to answer this one...
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv030402.htm

THAT tells you how to set up the remote that comes with the Tivo so that you can use JUST ONE TIVO remote to control either one of them with the flip of a little switch that's on the remote.

I DID this and doing so causes the TIVO remote to send special signals which tell the two TIVO units which one I'm talking to. I then learned these signals onto my new learning remote and downloaded them. That downloaded information specifies "Tivo-NEC1 Unit=2" as the protocol (because the TIVO remote was set for unit 2 when I learned the signals to the learning remote). It's THAT protocol that I was trying to get. Greg says the latest version of IR.exe has it. So I'm gonna look when I get home tonight (or maybe tomorrow morning).
The Robman wrote:

doni-49 wrote:

You'll need to explain which part is confusing you for us to help, as it all seems pretty obvious to us.

I'll have to put together a list of questions when I get home.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:
That downloaded information specifies "Tivo-NEC1 Unit=2" as the protocol

The protocol DecodeIr calls "Tivo-NEC1" is the SAME PROTOCOL that KM has under a few (three, I think) Tivo names.

DecodeIr puts the unit number in the protocol field because it has no decent place to put the unit number. The unit number is not really part of the protocol name.

KM allows you to specify the unit number on the setup sheet. (I assume RM has good support for this too. But you don't need to convert to RM. Everything you want in this upgrade is available in KM).

I think all you need to do is:

1) Modify the upgrade you already have in KM to specify unit 1 instead of unit 0. Load that upgrade to IR.EXE and your remote for testing and use.

2) Make a copy of that upgrade with a different filename. Edit it to have a unit 2 instead of unit 1. Change the setup code number (to any setup code number you're not using in the remote). Load that upgrade to IR.EXE and your remote as well (assigning that setup code to a different device button).
doni-49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivo = GOOD!

Thanks a BUNCH guys! And thanks for your patience with me on this one too. Since I didn't See Tivo-NEC1 Unit=1 or Tivo-NEC1 Unit=2 listed in the protocols I was a little dumbfounded. But all's well now.

All that's left is to get the macros working.

I'm having trouble:

1) figuring how to assign my macro to the device button so that it's available no matter WHICH device is active.

2) how to not only SELECT a device (make it active in the remote's memory, but also perform the action associated with the "last" key in device code 0920 (make the Laserdisk source active in the video selector and turn on the VCR if it's not already on (this VCR is connected to the Laserdisk port on the selector).

I copy/pasted the protocol from the SP_ToadTog.txt file and created (or attempted to create) a keymove that is bound to the "MOVE" button under Dev8.

I'm THINKING that this keymove should use "VCR/DVD" as the device type and the device code should be 1800 (per the toadTog.txt file). I need to build a string of hex numbers to put in the "EFC/Hex Cmd" field. I'm having trouble figuring out how to build the hex string.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me, which remote are you using and are you using an extender?

Without an extender, you cannot program macros to the device buttons.
doni-49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote is URC 6131.

Extender is 6131ex1.

Every time I think I'm getting close, I seem to hit a wall. I've got your "FromRob.ir" file loaded in IR.exe looking at it again.

Hopefully I can figure it out from what you had done there.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By definition, macros are cross-device, regardless of which key they are bound to.

Have you read the Readme.txt that comes with the extender? It explains in detail how device selection works.

With IR 6.00 and later, you can now directly create and edit keymoves for special protocols (such as ToadTog, L/DKP, etc ) using the Spcl Prot Fns tab, which makes things much easier. It is much more user friendly now.

I suggest trying to find an alternate way to turn on the VCR when it is off than ToadTog. With a VCR, it is too easy to get out-of-sync between the remote and the VCR. For example, a VCR will typically turn on when a tape is inserted. Now the remote thinks the VCR is still off, but it is actually on, and you've got to do something to get them back in sync.

VCRs will often turn on if the Play button is pressed, so you can often use the sequence Play;Stop as equivalent to Discrete On. (and Play;Stop;Power would be the Discrete Off). You will have to experiment with your VCR to see if you can find a sequence that will work for you. This can work for DVD players too.

I thought you might find an example IR file for a URC-6131 with extender (that also controls 2 TiVos) useful, so you can see mine at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2130
It has macros on the device keys that do input selection along with device selection.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
doni-49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I was able to figure out how to get it so that when I press the shifted VCR (setup+VCR) button, it sends the signal which tells the video selector to make VCR1 active, sets VCR1 active in the remote's memory and sends the power signal to VCR1.

I'm still having trouble figuring out how to apply this to the VCR button (not having to use setup first) and still have it make the VCR the active active device and how to send a DSICREET power on to the VCR (so that if it's already on, it won't shut off).

Once I get these two items concqured, I think I can take care of getting the other devices set up as they'll be mostly more of the same. There is one more VCR and a DVD will both need discrete power on. But the two Tivo's won't need power on because they're always on I'll just need to tell the PVR button to make the TIVO active and send the proper signal to the video selector.

EDIT: I now know why I didn't see Rob's post earlier as it just happened again. When I got back to work on this today, I opened this thread so that I could have it as a reference. Then When I was ready to post this reply, I did so. But it seems that after I opened the thread Greg had replied.

I've downloaded your file Greg and I'll review it. Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:
Every time I think I'm getting close, I seem to hit a wall. I've got your "FromRob.ir" file loaded in IR.exe looking at it again.

While taking a look at my config file is probably a good idea, it won't help ou here because I'm not using an extender. My power up macros are all on the shifted device buttons. (Shifted means that you press SETUP before you press the button in question).
doni-49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. That explains why I was having trouble figuring that part out.

To answer Greg's question (FINALLY), I currently have IR 6.1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean IR 6.01 or 6.10? The current version is 6.15
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: