JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Sony RPTV, need some Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabish

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: New Sony RPTV, need some Help Reply with quote

I just got a new Sony 60XS955 and the remote uses the Sony 15 protocol for the wide button (Sets display for Zoom, Wide Screen, Standard). In keymap the Sony 12/15 protocol readme says that you can place a one in the byte2 column and it will use Sony 15, but the byte2 column is greyed out. I placed a one in there anyway, and nothing changed, my remote (9910) still sends out the code on Sony 12. I verified this by learning the code with my 2117 and downloading it into IR.

Any help on resolving this would be great, its the only button on the Sony remote that I can't get working on my 9910.

Thanks.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use RM and have the "Force Sony 15" check box checked.

KM doesn't have this feature for the Sony 12/15 protocol. You can force it in Sony Combo (12/15/20), though, it'll make the upgrade bigger, so it's not worth it unless you want to combine more than two device codes or Sony 15 and 20 commands.

In the Sony 12/15 protocol, the "byte 2" column is for choosing from the device code 1 and 2, not Sony 12 and 15.

What the readme actually says is:
On the Functions sheet, if you leave
the byte2 column blank, device code 1 will be used, and if you
enter a "1" in this column, device code 2 will be used.

You have to choose "OBC"-style command for using the "byte 2" column.
(I just realized this is mentioned in some other protocols, but not this one. I guess it should.)

Hal

Last edited by mtakahar on Mon May 02, 2005 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:
You have to choose "OBC"-style command for using the "byte 2" column. (I just realized this is mentioned in other other protocols, but not this one. I guess it should.)
Probably. It does apply to all the Sony protocols, I think. In any event, the Sony 12/15 can work with 2 device numbers, which you select with the byte 2 column. However, the device number itself determines if it is a 12-bit or 15-bit command. 0-31 = 12-bit, >31 = 15-bit.

Which begs the question (assuming he switches to OBC mode):
tabish wrote:
I placed a one in there anyway, and nothing changed, my remote (9910) still sends out the code on Sony 12.
...what were the two device numbers you entered on the setup tab?
tabish

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, a day later, and few more hours of sleep and it all makes sense now. I guess I now have a good excuse to finally start using RemoteMaster. Should be able to get this working tonight now.

Thanks again.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Sony RPTV, need some Help Reply with quote

tabish wrote:
I just got a new Sony 60XS955 and the remote uses the Sony 15 protocol for the wide button

What device number is that?
Is this one of the very rare cases in which Sony15 is used with a device number less than 32?

What protocol and device number do the ordinary keys of that device use?

tabish wrote:
finally start using RemoteMaster.

RemoteMaster makes the operation of the Sony 12/15 protocol executor a little more understandable than it is in KM. RM also gives you access to that obscure feature of that executor that allows Sony15 protocol with device numbers less than 32.

Notice the Protocol notes in RM, which say:

Leaving the "Force Sony15" checkbox blank is almost always correct.
Device numbers 32 and greater cannot be Sony12 and are automatically Sony15.
Device numbers less than 32 can be Sony12 or Sony15, but it is VERY rare for them to be Sony15.
When you leave the check box blank Device numbers less than 32 are Sony12, which is almost always correct.
Check "Force Sony15" to make the device number (just the one above that check box) be Sony15 even if it is less than 32.
tabish

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the button working last night using RM, the help is much appriciated. The button was using Sony15 Device 164.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, you didn't need to force it. Perhaps you were using dev1=1, dev2=164 (typical Sony TV config) and what you needed was to point at the second device. So, you were in the right direction trying to set the byte 2 after all.

Hal
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:

You have to choose "OBC"-style command for using the "byte 2" column.

In case everyone reading this thread hasn't realized it yet. The above statement is the key to the original problem and all that was needed to fix the KM version of the attempted upgrade.

RM wasn't needed but it does make these issues simpler:
1) There is no OBC vs. EFC mode for the whole functions sheet. You can enter OBC or EFC for any function and RM computes the other. You can also enter extra data such as the device selection without worry about EFC mode issues.
2) You directly select from the two choices for device on each row of the funtions sheet, vs. KM's indirect use of byte2 (look on the setup sheet and protocol notes to find the choices for device and which byte2 value corresponds to each choice).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does RM do when the EFC entered by the user conflicts with the selected device code and does RM automatically select the appropiate device code when an EFC is entered? (I'm at work where RM doesn't work or I'd just check it for myself).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any mini combiner such as this:

1) If you enter an EFC or Hex cmd, RM computes the other (of EFC or Hex cmd) and also computes the OBC and the device. So when you enter the EFC you will see whether it is the right device.

2) If you select a device after entering an EFC it will keep the OBC that was computed when you entered the EFC but recompute the EFC to be consistent with the selected device.

In general, the last field you type into overrides anything in other fields that it conflicts with and preserves anything in other fields that it doesn't conflict with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: