JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Am I heading in the right direction?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Am I heading in the right direction? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been browsing this site and other JP1 information for a few days now trying to soak it all in. There's a lot to learn!

Can someone please let me know if I am heading in the right direction:

I want to primarily control:
HT-DDW650 Sony Home Theatre
KP-51WS510 Sony TV
SLV D300P Sony Combo DVD/VCR
Sci-At Explorer 8000 Cable/DVR

My main requirements are:
1. Full system power on/off
2. Device selection must switch TV video mode and Receiver video mode at one button press.
3. Ability to program the more obscure functions such as DVD track skip, slow motion etc.
4. DVR controls including Menu, Live TV, play, pause etc

I am considering the URC 6131M with JP1.
I understand this doesn't do macros per se, but believe it will do the jobs I want it to do if I install the extender(s).

Can an expert please confirm my direction?
Many thanks!
Graeme
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really an "expert" but Sony equipment usually has discrete commands for most functions. The DVD-VCR combo is problematic, since Sony outsourced it, the commands may not match very well. I saw one upgrade for it on a quick search but saw that it wasn't using a Combo protocol so it might not work very well. Your best bet will be to build a custom upgrade from the ground up using the resources here , (More reading) unless there is a better upgrade that I missed.

Sorry , I can't help with the Cable/DVR receiver but there should be info around, otherwise you may need some learning capability to create your own upgrade. (assuming you have the original remotes) A lot of these type DVR's don't do "off" since they usually need to be on most of the time

The 6131 does macros just fine but with limitations on certain keys (usually device keys). I use shifted device buttons for turn-on and off macros. With an extender (works great, easy to use, especially with the latest IR versions) all button limitations are removed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Steve said, the URC-6131 does macros as good as any other remote when programmed with JP1. It's limitation is that it only does macros on the POWER button for non-JP1 users.

It would also be a good idea if you were to pick up a JP1 learning remote so that if and when you buy a new device for which there isn't a built in code and there isn't an upgrade available, you can use learning to build an upgrade yourself. That's the only way to 100% guarantee that your remote is future proof.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve, Sony is among the best for having discrete input and power commands. Also with very few exceptions they are always the same, so you can start with any device upgrade in the files that sounds close. I have yet to see a Sony RPTV that didn't have discrete power and input commands.

Steve is also correct that your DVD/VCR combo is one of the exceptions. According to [url=http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?keywords=1108&highlight=D300P|SLV]this[/url], there aren't any. However, a macro for eject|eject will turn the unit On, IF it was powered down in the DVD mode. If there is a discrete command(s) to get to the DVD mode then make a power off macro:

DVD mode|eject|eject|power toggle

and then eject|eject should power it on.

So that might work, but you will have to experiment with timing between commands.

AFAIK, there are no discrete power commands for any US cable set-top boxes. Most set top boxes consume about the same amount of power on or off and its only a few watts anyway, so leave it on all the time. Occasionally, someone comes up with a work around for specific cable DVR's models and provider combinations. Here is an example of one for an 8300.

There are device upgrades in the files for Sony HT systems and Rob Humphries Sony site has discrete power and input commands.

ToadTog is an advanced tool available to keep track of gear that doesn't have true discretes and it works very well IF you use only one remote and no one powers it off manually. I would wait until you get everything set up to your liking before tackling ToadTog.

As a final point, from an IR perspective there is no command that a $1000 Pronto can do that an JP1/OFA remote can't do. There are things that an OFA remote can do that a Pronto can't. (A recent example is a final command when the button is released after a repeating command when held.) So the only limitation that you have is from the equipment being controlled, not from a JP1/OFA remote.
Fippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
It would also be a good idea if you were to pick up a JP1 learning remote.

What would you recommend? I don't want to spend > $150. I didn't see any learning remotes that posessed DVR buttons.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and links!

Fippy
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rob was just suggesting you get a learning remote as a tool to help in programming the 6131 in some future situation where the data you need might not be available online.

For that purpose, you wouldn't care much about the learning remote's key layout.

I don't see the point. More and more IR data is available online, and there will be other bargains in JP1 learning remotes available in the future. Rob was selling 8811s at a bargain price. I think he stopped (but check his page rather than trust me). An 8811 or 8810w has been the best bargain in a JP1 learning remote most of the time, for a while now (and they're still under $18 at Walmart). But occasionally RS or some other vendor has a close out sale of some discontinued model (of JP1 learning remote) at an even better price than you can get an 8811. So it's a bad bet to buy one now on just the guess that you'll need it later and the guess that current models will be gone then and new models more expensive (though that might happen).
Fippy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you are both saying now. I think I'll proceed with the 6131M and see where I get. Previous forays into remote programming (with an old Cinema 7) told me that codes for my equipment were easy to find, except for the DVD/VCR combo. I haven't looked for my Cable/DVR box yet but I'm sure someone has those codes too.

If I find that the DVD/VCR needs me to buy a learning remote then so be it.

Thanks again!
Fippy.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have the Cinema 7 (and it is the URC-7800 and not the URC-7200), then you already have a learning JP1 remote, and there is no need to get another.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: