JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic SC-HT820V for 6131 Extended
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Panasonic SC-HT820V for 6131 Extended Reply with quote

Just got the JP1 6131 from Rob (thanks, Rob, great service!) and I've got all my devices loaded except my Panasonic home theater. It's a combination 5.1 surround sound tuner, 5-disc DVD and VCR. I've searched all the suggested spots, plus general Googleing, and can't find an upgrade for it or any documentation of its codes.

I've managed to get most of the VCR controls to work by selecting VCR/1262. The closest I got to the DVD is DVD/0490. That works most of the menu and play buttons, although not the power button or disc selection. Some of the other Panasonic DVD codes I tried operate power, but not menus. I also tried the Panasonic-HT-Combo upgrade - it didn't seem to work at all for this unit.

My biggest need is for device selection. The original remote has two device toggles. One activates the DVD or VCR, the other AM/FM radio. Each of these devices apparently has a different code set as there is a separate device selection button on the original remote for each device, and if the currently active device isn't selected, the remote is ignored. (I don't understand why they didn't combine the device toggles and the device selection buttons, and it doesn't make any more sense when looking at it than it does when just reading my description.)

I need codes to at least allow me to activate the DVD or VCR. We don't use the radio functions much.

1. Device: Panasonic HT-SC820V
2. Type of device: DVD/VCR/Home Theater Surround Sound
3. JP1 Remote model: URC-6131 Extended
4. JP1 user? Yes
5. Still have original remote? yes
6. Checked Yahoo file section? yes
7. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that VCR/1262 works tells us that the VCR portion of this combo uses the standard Panasonic VCR codes (as 1262 is very similar to 1162, 1062, etc). Same story for DVD/0490.

If you were to mention which DVD code worked the POWER function, that would give us another clue.

I expect that the sound controls all come from the 160 device code, but there are numerous possibilities as far as what sub-devices you will need to use, so some experimentation is called for there.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the upgrades for the HT700 and HT900 in the file section might be very close for what you need. Try them and see if the volume buttons work at least.

Here are some OBCs for sub-device code 0 that might be the ones you are looking for DVD and VCR:

146 TUNER
148 DVD/CD
154 AUX
156 TV
158 VCR1
159 VCR2
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. One of the DVD codes that did work for power (but no other buttons I tried) was 1362.

I looked at the HT700 / HT900 upgrades but didn't try them since the combo device seemed like a better choice. I'll give them a try later tonight when I get another chance (the wife gets annoyed for some reason when I interrupt her viewing to try another device).

This HT820V seems to be a unique setup. I actually bought a Harmony remote a few months ago, but returned it when none of the existing device definitions could correctly select the DVD or VCR player. If I could just find the code for that DVD/VCR toggle button I could take it from there.

Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're finding out the hard way why it's a very good idea to have a JP1 learning remote (like the URC-8811) in your collection. Assuming that you still have the original Panasonic remote, you could learn all the buttons using the 8811, then use IR.exe to decode the signals for you.

The 1362 code is actually a VCR code that uses the same protocol as VCR/1262 except that it has a few additional device codes. The POWER button in this code uses the same device codes (ie, 144.0) as the VCR controls under VCR/1262 and the same OBC as the POWER button under VCR/1262. Did you try the POWER button when you had VCR/1262 loaded?

If you'd like me to help you build an upgrade, here's what you need to do. Try every button under the following setup codes to see if any of them do anything, then list in this thread which buttons worked, and if a button does something slightly different than what it should, list what it does.

VCR/1262
VCR/1162 (the TV/VID, GUIDE and ARROW buttons are different to 1262)
DVD/0490

Also, try the following audio codes:
0303 (160.10)
0309 (160.4)
1308 (combo 160)
1309 (combo 160)
1518 (combo 160)

(note: the numbers in parens are to remind me what device codes each uses)
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I ask you to spend that kind of time on my problem I'm going to try to brute-force discover that DVD/VCR toggle EFC. I'm fairly satisfied with the functionality I've got on the VCR, and the only critical buttons missing for the DVD player are the disc selection and the DVD/VCR toggle.

From what you've already told me I'm pretty sure that the OEM remote uses the VCR code for power regardless of which device is selected, so I can just KeyMove that to the DVD device power button.

It's clear already that I'm going to want a learning remote, as you suggested. I need another remote anyway for the systems in my other room (just standard TV/cable stuff so far). Which would you recommend?

Thanks again. It's really great to have this kind of help available. I'm sorry to see you're getting out of the remote sales business - I'm glad I came across you when I did.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend the URC-8811, it's by far the best bang for the buck that you're likely to find. I still have a few left at $16 each.
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Order submitted Reply with quote

The order is on it's way via paypal. Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, check out the spreadsheet that Wayne created for the HT810V, I'm guessing that it's very similar to your model.
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that does look like a good match. It has most of the same functions. The only difference I can see is that the 820 has a 5-disc DVD changer and the 810 has a single DVD slot.

Based on Wayne's spreadsheet, the functions I'm looking for are associated with the device 160, sub-device 0. I'll try a few of the Panasonic Audio device codes and see what kind of results I get.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the codes to select the 5 DVD discs will undoubtedly come from device 176
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the codes to select the 5 DVD discs will undoubtedly come from device 176

You'd sure think so, wouldn't you? But Panasonic seems to have made several strange choices with this HT.

I got the 8811 today (thanks again, Rob, you are amazingly fast at filling orders!) and learned the disk selection codes, which were the only ones I was still missing. Turns out they are all on device 160 - the "tuner" - as sub-device 34. That makes sub-devices 0, 16, 18, 28 and 34 on the 160 device.

I created an upgrade for these functions using the Panasonic Combo2 protocol and installed it as AUD/2000 to enable advanced key mappings.

The rest of the DVD codes (other than power and audio controls) are all on device 176 with sub-device 0. Device DVD/490 seems to work for most of these, although I'm working on a update to include a few stragglers and map the Disc selection and power keys as "External Functions". (That worked real slick in KM, by the way, once I figured out that I needed that second byte for the combo protocol.)

The VCR part works fine as VCR/1262, including the Power button (also mapped onto the DVD device power button).

Thanks again for your help. Pointing me to the work Wayne had done for the HT810V, which is very similar, saved me a lot of time. Thanks to Wayne, too, of course! Very Happy
wbrells

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I gather that you were pointed to my spreadsheet giving the EFC's etc. for my HT810V system. That sheet is missing the number keys for the VCR mode, but I assume you noticed that error. For completeness, though, the EFC's for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,100 are 117,121,119,123,116,120,118,122,245,249,208 (all device 144, sub-device 0).

I'm still working on my HT810V, and really think I'll need to install an extender in my Walmart 8810 remote to implement device-specific macros. (I guess that an extender provides other benefits which may prove useful later.)

Have you found any discrete codes for Power ON/Power OFF by any chance?

Best wishes,

Wayne
boyle_bruce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I gather that you were pointed to my spreadsheet giving the EFC's etc. for my HT810V system.

Yes, Rob pointed out your spreadsheet, and I subsequently found the thread where you've been discussing your work on the HT810V. Your work saved me a lot of time, as it appears the 810 and 820 are very similar.
Quote:
... really think I'll need to install an extender...

I'm using a 6131 PVR and I installed the extender within the first couple of hours of working with it. It makes things much easier on this particular remote.
Quote:
Have you found any discrete codes for Power ON/Power OFF by any chance?

I have tried some of the Panasonic descrete codes I've found posted, but haven't had any success yet. I plan to work more on this over the weekend.

Thanks for the additional VCR codes. I've added them to my copy of your spreadsheet, which I've been extending with the additional functions for the 820 (so far just the Disc1-5 selection). I've been focused on the DVD functions so I handn't missed them yet. What I did miss (or at least didn't see) were the up and down arrow buttons for the DVD. The EFCs for these are 192 (up) and 190 (down).

Right now I've got all basic functionality working, mostly thanks to the spreadsheet you posted. Once I've got what I consider an acceptable upgrade done, probably over the weekend, I'll post it.
wbrells

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I believe the DVD up & down arrows are shown as "CH ^" and "CH v" on my spreadsheet with the EFC values that you listed. One other missing function: VCR tray open/close/eject is EFC 185 (OBC = 1, Hex Cmd=7F).

I have mixed feelings about using an extender. I'd really miss the LEARNING feature, and resetting the remote to a non-extended state and then reinstalling the extender sounds like a pain. I may just try adding the device-specific macro protocol and see if that is sufficient for my needs...

Right now, I plan to set up the DVD-specific upgrade (which should be very similar to yours)!

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: