JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6 Pin Connector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roopjp1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: 6 Pin Connector Reply with quote

Hi,

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned somewhere on the post but I did search a lot and was not able to find any info.

From where can I buy 6 pin connector for my remote URC 6131? Does anybody know if this connector and IC 24C16 availabel at any store in Chicago or Suburbs?

Thanks.

RoopJp1
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my header strips from http://www.jameco.com and the part number is 103405.
roopjp1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I just ordered these parts from Jameco.

I appreciate your help.
careh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I get my header strips from http://www.jameco.com and the part number is 103405.

Anyone from Winnipeg know where these could be picked up locally? I asked at the Radio Shack - but no luck... mind you I did not have a name for the part - so I was trying to tell the girl it was 'a little thingie with 6 pins in it'.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

careh wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Anyone from Winnipeg know where these could be picked up locally? I asked at the Radio Shack - but no luck... mind you I did not have a name for the part - so I was trying to tell the girl it was 'a little thingie with 6 pins in it'.

Um, it's obvious if you go lookup the part number Rob posted and see the picture, but it's a 72 pin (or whatever) double row 0.1" male header that you can break 3 pairs off of it. It'll be harder if you try to find an exact 6 pin header.

I thought RS used to carry some of those in the past, but I can't find them on the web now.

Hal
careh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one - went to a true electronics store.

Active Tech Electronics Inc
204-786-3131
106 King Edward Street East,
Winnipeg, MB R3H 0N8

Now to solder....
OatmealNick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have one locally or not but Fry's Electronics sells pin headers. They are a tad expensive, Like $4.00 for 3 of them or so. Whenever I need pin headers or connectors I just de-solder them from old ISA or PCI cards that I store in a junk drawer for those kind of occasions Very Happy . For connectors I usually use a cd rom audio connector and super glue the 2 rows together, Usually comes out with 8 pin connector but close enough for my needs. Hope thats helpful enough.
krick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know the digi-key part number for the breakaway header strips?

I'm going to be placing an order for some other parts and I wanted to get some strips at the same time.
mj1856

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but how the heck do I get a pin header to attach to my URC-9960 when it only has surface mount points? There's no "hole" going through the pcb, so how do I attach it?

Is there a special surface mount 6 pin header I can get?

Thanks
-Matt
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj1856 wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but how the heck do I get a pin header to attach to my URC-9960 when it only has surface mount points? There's no "hole" going through the pcb, so how do I attach it?

Is there a special surface mount 6 pin header I can get?

Thanks
-Matt

Yes. If you go here, and call them and ask for a sample of part number TSHSM-103-D-10-T-V they may ship you one for free. Or go here and build your part number. You want part number TSM-103-01-T-DV. After you build the part number you can order samples.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my first connectors from old junk TV circuit boards. They need to be removed and cut down to length but they are fairly common. An ancient I/O board or dead drive controller board would yield a few also. Got any bad floppy drive units around? Get some use out old stuff before you landfill it?

My first eeprom cmae from a 10 year old Sony TV chassis too, but that requires a source and some significant skill to remove surface mount semiconductors without damage.

edit: sorry , I was looking at the first post (6131) on the connector. You can solder a connector to a surface but it requires care and additional support so that pulling the cable off doesn't lift the traces off the board.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
You can solder a connector to a surface but it requires care and additional support so that pulling the cable off doesn't lift the traces off the board.

On the Kameleon remotes there are square pads, not just traces. The pads are held on by an adhesive. Although it is a very strong and heat resistant adhesive, it can still be overheated. As long as you don't leave the soldering iron on the pad too long, press too hard (the weight of the iron is as much force as required), or overheat the iron (600-700F is appropriate) you shouldn't have any problem with the pads. It would require a lot more force to lift all six pads than is generated by the little connector.
mj1856, just remember, more pressure on the solder joint does not make the solder flow faster, easier, or better. For most beginning solderers this is the easiest mistake to make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: