JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unwanted repeats in Mitsubishi function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Unwanted repeats in Mitsubishi function Reply with quote

I have an old (13 years) Mitsubishi VCR whose remote has a "jog" dial, rotating it in single "clicks" presumably gives a single burst of IR info, whizzing it round must repeat that.

When I learn the code generated by this dial I think I have to give it only one click (1/10 revolution) to get the effect I want, but IR shows me nothing in the "sent once" panel, only stuff in the "sent repeatedly" panel. IR's decode is quite correct, as using the remote on which I learned it certainly has the effect of repeating the action when the key is held down.

If I press and release the key really fast (on the remote that learned it ), I can get the effect of a single click on the jog dial. But when I put this into an upgrade it works the same only apparently faster, so I just can't get a keypress that's short enough for a single step.

The function decodes as Mitsubishi, device 87, EFC 132.

Here's the pattern from the "Sent Repeatedly" box:
Quote:
+300 -2164 +300 -2164 +300 -2164 +300 -964 +300 -2164 +300 -964 +300 -2164 +300 -964 +300 -964 +300 -964 +300 -2164 +300 -964 +300 -2164 +300 -2164 +300 -2164 +300 -964 +270 -22742

I guess the question I'm asking is if there's a known switch in Mitsubishi codes to turn off the repeat, because no matter how I try to learn this it always shows a repeating pattern.

Many thanks in advance to any Mitsubishi experts who may be listening !

Andy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try creating a second upgrade just for the jog dial using KM or RM, then use the protocol below instead. Once you've copied the upgrade from KM (or RM) over to IR, check the "Protocol > FF" box to make it point to this new protocol

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 14 (S3C8+) Mitsubishi (KM v8.31)
47 A9 11 8B 0E C5 40 08 08 00 96 01 B8 00 96 04
1A 68 E2 E6 0D 03 8D 01 46
End
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: very interesting Reply with quote

Thanks Rob

If I make an upgrade with just the jog keys and the new protocol, I just get two jog keys that work like they did (i.e. they repeat, and too fast).

Yet you are clearly on to something ...

If I put in the original upgrade (lots of keys) but again tick the box to point to your 0x114 protocol, then the jog keys still repeat. None of the other keys work the VCR, but they do cause the remote's LED to light - but as a brief pulse, not illuminated as long as the key is pressed. But the jog keys light the LED for as long as the button is pressed.

It looks like a solution may be close, it's just a bit "inverted" at present !

Thanks

Andy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't notice the line of code that forces 3 repeats, which I left in there. Try this version that's missing that line...

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 14 (S3C8+)
47 A9 11 8B 0E C5 40 08 08 00 96 01 B8 00 96 04
1A 68 E2 8D 01 46
End
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Ok, so all the buttons (just jog or full upgrade) now stay on as long as the button is pressed. But the jogs still repeat and no other keys work the VCR.

What else did I try ? I found a Mitsubishi upgrade by Kevin Nicodemus on the board. He identified different codes for jog (he calls them adjust+1, adjust-1). I used his codes, they work just like the jogs I learned. Also he appears to use a JVC protocol, so I tried choosing JVC (without ticking the >FF box, of course). It appears to work just the same as Mitsubishi.

On reflection I'm not sure if this is worth any trouble you (and I) are going to. There are two main uses for the jog that I can see, one is advancing frame by frame. I rarely use that, and so what if it jumps two frames at a time. The use I really like is programming the recording timer - the channel number, hours, minutes etc are all adjusted by the jog dial. It occurs to me that the lack of a repeat could be a pain on the minutes ! So I could get into the habit of programming my VCR using the number buttons - at least on the OFA remote the number buttons are not fiddly like on the original remote.

Thanks

Andy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Andy, you have to be doing something wrong because I just loaded this protocol into a remote, along with a small upgrade and it works perfectly. Do you still have a learned signal on the button that you're trying to use? Could you post your most recent IR file in the Diagnosis Area so I can check it out. (Post a link too).
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: What I was doing wrong Reply with quote

Yes indeed, the following is what I was doing wrong. I guess this is a standard beginners' mistake.

In IR when entering an upgrade on the "Devices" tab, any associated keymoves get automatically placed on the "Key Moves" tab. But when deleting upgrades (again at the "Devices" tab), this does not shift the associated keymoves, they have to be removed separately. I first noticed this a week or two ago (when my keymove area filled up, of course).

So how come I got bitten again by this ? Well, the keymove that was affecting the buttons on which I had programmed the jogs was very old and up the top off my radar (though probably not off the screen !). In fact it was so old that I hadn't put it there myself, it had been put there by OFA Europe support two years ago when they shipped me my URC-7544 (in exchange for a "Zapper 3" that I had complained could not be made to work the same VCR at all).

The next post will be about how I made out after a "Purge Memory" and "981 reset".
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Now, with OFA's keymove removed ... Reply with quote

So, starting with a very clean remote and using your 0x114 protocol, I now get just a short blip on the LED whatever key I press (if that key was part of the upgrade). However, none of these keypresses work anything on my VCR.

But wait a minute, here's some VERY GOOD NEWS !

With OFA's keymove gone, and using my original full-scale upgrade, and using the built-in Mitsubishi protocol, the keys on which I put the jog work exactly as I would have hoped, maybe even better than I should have dared hope. It's easy to make a press that's short enough for a single "jog", yet holding the key down gives a repeat effect that scrolls the jogged item beautifully.

The puzzle that remains is that the keymove that OFA gave me looks to be identical in effect to the action I have given the key in my upgrade. I'll take a further look at this to see if I can explain what was going on, but not until next week - I'm just setting off for a cold (hopefully not wet) weekend in the hills. Not a VCR for miles !

Many thanks for your help on this, Rob. It turned out to be a lateral move that fixed it in the end, but a move I probably wouldn't have made without your prodding !
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, the short blip is what we were expecting, because it's just one repetition of the signal. I'm not totally surprised that the VCR doesn't respond because the original protocol calls for a minimum of 3 repeats for all signals, regardless of whether the button is held down, so I'm guessing they did this for a reason.

Glad you got it all worked out though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: