JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiplexor and keymoves questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107,

Thank, I relized my mistake and was editing as you posted. Smile
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Device Button" field in a KeyMove in IR.EXE is a great convenience for those who understand what it is, but as you found it can be a source of confusion.

It doesn't represent anything that is actually part of the KeyMove (as stored in the remote). A KeyMove really consists of:
Bound device
Bound Key
Setup code = Device type and 4 digit number
Hex Cmd

The "Device Button" (when available) is just a convenient shorthand for the setup code. Whether it's there or not has no effect on the actual KeyMove.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
johnsfine wrote:
But I assume you'll have refined your objectives about the desired behavior a few times before the remote arives.

Maybe a little but not much. I used a pronto ts1000 since they first started selling. Got my tsu3000 just over a year ago (probably one of the first batches manufactured) and my mx-800 last July. So I've gotten pretty good at realizing how I like my functions layed out on a remote for convienent operation for myself.

I'm eating my words now. Very Happy
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.

Robman, Mark, gfb107 and especially johnsfine. I've gone as far as I can untill my remote arrives Friday. I've got my IR file setup just the way I want it to work. Wether it will or not is left to be seen. I just want to say Thanks Alot, and that I appreciate all the help and patience with my impatience. It's muh appreciated. Very Happy
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the RDF's in the 8910ex1_1 zip is dated older than the ones in RDFs_for_IR_and_RM_Version_1.16 zip. Should I use the newer ones in the RDFs_for_IR_and_RM_Version_1.16 zip?

And just out of curiosity. Is there a way to use the info in RM's function tab to generate the hex code?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information in RM's Functions tab "Hex" column should be the same as the information in KM's Functions tab "Hex" column, and can therefore be used in exactly the same way.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

And just out of curiosity. Is there a way to use the info in RM's function tab to generate the hex code?

Which "hex code" do you mean?

Around here "hex code" would mean the hex cmd for a KeyMove (so Greg answered already).

But I suspect you're used to remotes where "hex" means "Pronto Hex".

If that's the case, we don't have anything direct yet.

There was some recent work on an IRP parser plus Pronto Hex generator in Java that gets Pronto Hex from something very similar to what RM has. But none of that is integrated yet.

The normal method has been MakeHex, which gets the job done but isn't at all direct from RM.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was refering to a Pronto Hex. Still not use to JP1 terminology yet. I thought there might be a program that could take the protocol ID, OBC , EFC or Hex info from RM or KM and generate a Pronto Hex.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least the two programs I mentioned above (and a few similar programs at RC for a smaller set of protocols).

For MakeHex you:
1) Select an IRP file based on the protocol name (not ID) from RM.
2) Edit the IRP file to set the device number, subdevice number and the min and max desired OBC.
3) Use MakeHex (by command prompt, right click menu, or drag/drop, because it has no UI) to create a .hex file from the IRP file.
4) Open the .hex file in a text editor. It will contain Pronto Hex for each of the requested OBCs in numeric sequence.
5) Copy the Pronto Hex to where ever you needed it, in the process matching the OBC number to function names by manually refering back to RM's functions tab (for convenience in that step, RM lets you click to resort the entire functions sheet into OBC sequence).

That new Java version looks like it may reduce a little of the manual duplication of effort in the above (because it knows about function names) but it also doesn't yet pull data directly from RM.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl, thanks johnsfine. Smile
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say you add a device to IR that automaticly adds keymoves. If you later delete that device are the keymoves deleted too or must they be deleted manually?

There's no harm in leaving the remote connected to the PC over the weekend is it?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
Lets say you add a device to IR that automaticly adds keymoves. If you later delete that device are the keymoves deleted too or must they be deleted manually?

Manually. I consider that a (minor) flaw in the design of IR. Recent changes to IR have eliminated the fundamental reason that this flaw was hard to fix, but haven't (yet) fixed the flaw.

Wheelie4 wrote:

There's no harm in leaving the remote connected to the PC over the weekend is it?

I don't have near the EE expertise to estimate the battery drain from doing that. Maybe one of the hardware experts can give you an answer based on theory, or someone who leaves a 4-battery remote connected to the PC long term can give an answer based on experience. (Don't take my use of the phrase "battery drain" above to imply that I do know it's significant. I really don't know whether leaving it connected will kill your batteries in 3 days or 3 years or who knows how long).
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Wheelie4 wrote:

Manually. I consider that a (minor) flaw in the design of IR. Recent changes to IR have eliminated the fundamental reason that this flaw was hard to fix, but haven't (yet) fixed the flaw.

Kewl, no biggie just wanted be surebecause I had a duplicate keymove were I deleted my TV device and readded it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "duplicate" means what I'd expect it to mean, that would be a new bug, not the "flaw" I was refering to.

If you readd a device and the new device includes a KeyMove whose bound device and bound key matches an existing KeyMove, that new KeyMove should replace the old one so you get no duplicate.

If some previous version of an upgrade included a KeyMove and you replace that upgrade with a new version that doesn't include any KeyMove on that specific bound device/key, then the old KeyMove is retained (that's the flaw) but there still is no duplicate.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

Whenever I've accidentally left a remote plugged into the interface, it's caused the batteries to die and leak, so I wouldn't recommend it. IIRC, this was when I was using a powered interface, so I don't know if the same thing would happen with the Simple interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: