JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiplexor and keymoves questions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Multiplexor and keymoves questions. Reply with quote

I have added 9 devices to IR.exe (non-extender to utilize VPT). Next I needed to assign device #2 VCR and device #9 db-08 multiplexed to device button VCR. Here's what I did.

Part One----------------------------------------------------------

Chose keymove tab, clicked add, chose:

Device : VCR (code 1060)
Key : 1
Checked Shift
Doubleclicked Device button #2: VCR
Input Hex Cmd (14 24)
Clicked Ok

repeated for device #9 db-08

Device : VCR (code 1067)
Key : 1
Checked Shift
Doubleclicked Device button #9: db-08
Input Hex Cmd (14 2B)
Clicked Ok

Does that look right? I don't have my remote (URC-9910) yet.

Part Two----------------------------------------------------------

Next I want to use the TV's Volume & Mute on all devices except RCVR and CD. So I did this in the General tab : Other Settings:

VPT Status : On
VPT Device : TV
Set VPT to : On on all devices accept CD & RCVR.

Now I assumed if I wanted to use the RCVR's Volume & Mute on my CD device I had to make 3 keymoves for each of these: Vol+, Vol- & Mute.

Went back to keymmove tab. Clicked Add:
Device : CD
Key : Vol+
Doubleclicked Device button #7: RCVR
Input Hex Cmd (got from function tab in RM)
Clicked Ok

Repeated for Vol- and Mute.

Does it look like I did this stuff right. Any input greatly appreciated. Smile

Last edited by Wheelie4 on Fri May 21, 2004 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would help but I have no idea what you're trying to do.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Ok, I will need to use 9 devices on the 9910. I decided to try the Device Multiplexor idea you suggested I try here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2055&start=15

Quote:
Wheelie,
Check out the Special Protocols folder in the Yahoo file section, there you'll find the Special Protocols spreadsheet. This is what you need to use the Device Multiplexor.

So I setup the upgrade devices I need to my liking in RM. Then I added all 9 device upgrades to IR.exe and saved it. Next I proceded to TRY to multiplex both my VCR's to the remotes VCR button (1 is assigned to the VCR device button #2, the Other VCR is assigned to device button #9 db-08 in IR.exe's General tab) buy doing the first part of the steps described in my post above.

Next I wanted to use my TV's Volume and Mute buttons with every device except the Receiver and CD devices. And use the Receivers Volume and Mute only with the Receiver and CD device. The steps I used are described in the second part of my above post.

LOL I hope that makes sence. Smile
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to clear it up a little more.

Question #1

I have 9 devices in IR.exe. Two of those devices are VCR's. If you look at this picture Devices in IR you will see that both VCR's are assigned to device #2 VCR and #9 db-08. I want to use/assign both VCR's to the remotes device button VCR by using the Special Protocol Device Multiplexor. So I added two keymoves shown in the following two screen captures. Capture 1 and Capture 2 . Does this look like I did it right?

Question #2
I want to use my TV's Volume and Mute buttons with every device except the Receiver and CD devices. And use the Receivers Volume and Mute only with the Receiver and CD device. So I assumed if I wanted to use the RCVR's Volume & Mute on my CD device I had to make 3 keymoves for each of these: Vol+, Vol- & Mute. The steps I used to accomplished this are in the next three screen captures, CD Vol+ , CD Vol- , CD Mute . Does these look right?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:

Capture 1 and Capture 2 . Does this look like I did it right?

Sorry, no.

A) Without an extender, shifted digits keys are rather inconvenient. You need to press the Set key twice before the digit. So I'm not sure the behavior you're trying to program is the behavior you want.

B) You have VCR and two different setup codes selected as the setup codes of the device multiplexor KeyMoves. That isn't the way Device Multiplexor works. The device type and setup codes should be encoded in hex in the "hex command" (I didn't check whether those are right) and the device type/setup code of the KeyMove itself should point to the device upgrade installed for the Device Multiplexor protocol.

Wheelie4 wrote:

I want to use my TV's Volume and Mute buttons with every device except the Receiver and CD devices. And use the Receivers Volume and Mute only with the Receiver and CD device. So I assumed if I wanted to use the RCVR's Volume & Mute on my CD device I had to make 3 keymoves for each of these: Vol+, Vol- & Mute. The steps I used to accomplished this are in the next three screen captures, CD Vol+ , CD Vol- , CD Mute . Does these look right?

If you want that much control of which vol keys are used in which device mode, it's much easier to use the extender than to try to tweak some combination of VPT and multiple KeyMoves into the right behavior.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, so it apears everything is wrong. To get my hex commands I opened scientific calc, chose Decimal, input the device code, clicked Hex, add 1000 to the answer. Example: my first VCR's setup code is 1060, converted to hex = 424 + 1000 = 14 24.

I'll delete all the keymoves I added for multiplexing and the CD's volume and mute control then switch from a regular 9910 RDF to the 9910 Extender 1 in IR and start over. Thanks.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and read over both The Device Toggle and Device Multiplexor instructions. The Toggle instructions seem a bit more easier to understand and do so I'll try that. But now using the 9910 Extender 1 RDF the VPT otion is gone. LOL I can't win. Smile
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
But now using the 9910 Extender 1 RDF the VPT otion is gone. LOL I can't win. Smile

The device selection in the extender allow a superset of everything possible with with ordinary VPT, so you aren't losing anything.

When are you getting your actual remote?

Since your're jumping into such an advanced configuration before you even start using the remote, there are a few more mistakes that I suspect you're making, that could take a big discussion to resolve. At some point it's becomes a lot easier to do it than to explain it, so if you want to email your IR saved file to me, I can take a quick look and fix any errors I spot.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
I went back and read over both The Device Toggle and Device Multiplexor instructions. The Toggle instructions seem a bit more easier to understand

That should be decided based on which is easier to use.

If you will want to switch to VCR mode (from other device modes) significantly more often than you change which VCR you want to use, then you want one Key (presumably the VCR key itself) which switches you to VCR mode and a second key (probably shifted) that can be used only in VCR mode and toggles between the two VCR setup codes. That's easier to program, but choose it only if it's also easier to use.

If you switch between VCRs a moderate fraction of the times that you want to switch to VCR mode, then you want one key that both switches to VCR mode and selects the setup code for VCR-1 and a second key that both switches to VCR mode and selects the setup code for VCR-2. And both keys would be live in all modes.

Both ways of programming it are operated with two keys. The second way requires those two keys to be macros with two or three phantom KeyMoves defined to support the macro, which is five key definitions total (I think) compared to one keymove and one built in key for the first way. But I still contend that the choice should be based on usage convenience.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware I haven't used the so called EXinstall.zip. I just selected the RDF 9910 Extender 1 in IR.exe from the RDFs_for_IR_and_RM_Version_1.16 files. I'm not sure when I'll be able exactly to order my remote. Somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks from now. So I'm using this time to tinker and learn this stuff. There's no rush.

I can e-mail my .IR file, no problem. As far as mode switching, I normally switch between both VCR's less then I switch to a VCR mode as you discribe in the following quote.
Quote:
If you will want to switch to VCR mode (from other device modes) significantly more often than you change which VCR you want to use, then you want one Key (presumably the VCR key itself) which switches you to VCR mode and a second key (probably shifted) that can be used only in VCR mode and toggles between the two VCR setup codes. That's easier to program, but choose it only if it's also easier to use.

Thats the toggle procedure I tried setting up this last try using Shift-1 as the toggle (I'd rather use Shift-VCR but wasn't sure I could use the VCR key).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie4 wrote:
Be aware I haven't used the so called EXinstall

I figured that. That was high on my "easier to fix than to explain" list.

Wheelie4 wrote:

Somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks from now. So I'm using this time to tinker and learn this stuff. There's no rush.

Then remind me when it gets closer.

Wheelie4 wrote:

I can e-mail my .IR file,

Got it. I'll look later to see what in it deserves discussion near term. But I assume you'll have refined your objectives about the desired behavior a few times before the remote arives.

Wheelie4 wrote:
(I'd rather use Shift-VCR but wasn't sure I could use the VCR key).

I don't recall the exact rules without the extender (best guess you can use shift-VCR). But with the extender I KNOW such things aren't restricted, so you can use shift-VCR and it is a logical choice.
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I assume you'll have refined your objectives about the desired behavior a few times before the remote arives.

Maybe a little but not much. I used a pronto ts1000 since they first started selling. Got my tsu3000 just over a year ago (probably one of the first batches manufactured) and my mx-800 last July. So I've gotten pretty good at realizing how I like my functions layed out on a remote for convienent operation for myself.

You'd be suprised to know I prefer not using macros. I have macros on my pronto and mx-800 but stopped using them lonng ago (with the exception of my TV's inputs and stretch/zoom modes). Smile I setup all my codes to the buttons that are of most used to least used in the file I sent you. All I haven't done is setup my volume usage which is to use TV vol/mute on all devices except RSCV & CD. Both those will use the RSCV vol/mute.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what's causing the delay in you getting a new remote?
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financial Situation. Very Happy Being paralized from neck down I only get a small monthly insurance check to budget my survival on. I was ready to get it but my son just hit me up this week for my reserve cash to help him get an air conditioner for his trailer. What can I say, I had to help. Smile
Wheelie4

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went ahead and ignored my senses. Embarassed I ordered the URC-9910 with JP1 cable. So should be here around 7 to 10 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: