JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8810 not learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianicbrisson

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: URC-8810 not learning Reply with quote

I have tried learning another remote's functions on my URC-8810 but it did not work. All worked as planned up to the red led rapidly flashing, but it does not give the two blinks indicating that it's managed to learn the signal. I've tried it with two different source remotes and nothing. I've verified that it really didn't learn anything by uploading the results through IR; nothing.

I've actually never tried learning with this specific remote as I exchanged it one year ago returning an URC-8910 with the awfull disc. At the time, I had done all my learning with the URC-8910 so it's the first time I'm trying to use the learning capability of the URC-8810.

I opened the remote this week and noticed that in the upper area of the PCB a resistor was barely hanging on. when I looked closer, it fell off so I resoldered it. Since it's a tiny surface mount resistor, I doubt my repair job was very good but since all worked fine, I thought I had succeeded. Now that the learning is failing, I am not so sure.

Any body's got a take on this? Do you think the resistor is the culprit?

Thanks for any input.

Ianic
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is that yes, the resister may be the culprit but since it was loose it may also be a sign of some other damage. I would look close at the board on both sides and see if you can find any other damage or open circuits. You may have to test the circuits and resister with a meter to really tell.

There is even the possibility that the resister came loose from impact and could have been fried re-soldering it.
ianicbrisson

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the resistor did not come off because of an impact, the soldering pattern was clearly indicating a sloppy job. The resistor was actually "floating" on top of two small uneven solder slobs. On one side the solder was spicked and the resistor was sitting on the top of the spike.

I still scrutinised the whole board and there are no other signs of damage. I'll borrow a soldering station from work this weekend and try to fix it. I'll test the resistor at the same time to see if it's not fried.

Thanks

Ianic
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the rapid flashing starts, you are pressing the "teaching" button then right, you're not waiting for the flashing to stop before you start pressing?
ianicbrisson

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm pressing the teaching button. When I reached this dead end, I pulled an old URC-7800 from a drawer where it was waiting to be repaired for a friend and I used it's learning capabilities and everything worked fine. Now the URC-7800 is gone and I don't have any learning capabilities anymore. I'll see if I have any success in my repair this weekend.

Ianic
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: