JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samsung TV discrete codes for dynamic and standard picture
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Samsung TV discrete codes for dynamic and standard picture Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for the discrete codes to change the picture mode from dynamic to normal on my Samsung TV, model number UE40H6400. I've looked in all the normal places but the closest I can get is OBC 40, which brings up a settings box and allows me to manually change the picture mode.

I've tried the following OBC codes. I also tried them as EFC codes in case someone had mistakenly noted them down:

40 (picture mode settings box)

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Last edited by JezW on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in cases like this, the next step is usually to do the grunt work yourself and try all 256 OBCs, like you did with your amp. However, when trying this with a TV you should be warned that there are often codes that you might find that are better left to the TV experts. Hopefully the worst that can happen is that you find a code that brings up a service menu, in which case the best advice is to not change anything and move on, or if you do change stuff, write down what the settings are before you do so you can restore them. But, in some cases there are codes which will erase the EEPROM settings or something like that, which means the TV will need to be re-calibrated (not fun), and in extreme cases the TV can only be restored by a factory technician.

Another idea is to download all the Samsung TV upgrades that we have and see what codes those users have found. You can save some time by downloading the JP1 Master File which is a spreadsheet of all the current device upgrades, so you can limit your search to files that use the same protocol and device code(s).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Samsung has no discretes for picture modes.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Well, in cases like this, the next step is usually to do the grunt work yourself and try all 256 OBCs, like you did with your amp. However, when trying this with a TV you should be warned that there are often codes that you might find that are better left to the TV experts. Hopefully the worst that can happen is that you find a code that brings up a service menu, in which case the best advice is to not change anything and move on, or if you do change stuff, write down what the settings are before you do so you can restore them. But, in some cases there are codes which will erase the EEPROM settings or something like that, which means the TV will need to be re-calibrated (not fun), and in extreme cases the TV can only be restored by a factory technician.

Another idea is to download all the Samsung TV upgrades that we have and see what codes those users have found. You can save some time by downloading the JP1 Master File which is a spreadsheet of all the current device upgrades, so you can limit your search to files that use the same protocol and device code(s).

I wasn't that keen on the idea of running through all the OBC codes on my TV but this has definitely scared me off!

I tried a few Samsung upgrades from the device file section but only saw the codes that I had tried already. I'll look at the JP1 master file and have another go.

mdavej wrote:
IIRC, Samsung has no discretes for picture modes.

Apparently some Samsung TVs do have discretes for picture modes eg. 189 and 223 here http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?7210 But maybe not mine Rolling Eyes
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through all the Samsung TV upgrades and compiled the following master file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13742
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, you didn't have to do that Wink

I just tried all the potentials from there and still no response unfortunately.

It's ok though, every now and then I don't mind clicking two buttons instead of one Laughing
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go through the whole list to see if your TV supports any of the additional functions?

When you have an exact list of which functions your TV does support, please create a new upgrade for your TV and load it into the file section.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only checked the ones that had "picture mode" in the name.

You've worried me about what could happen if I try them all Rolling Eyes
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a low risk way of creating a device upgrade for my TV?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they guy at your remotecentral link did the same and didn't run into trouble, the risk is probably pretty low. Sharp is one that has a known nasty code.

I've done such searches on all my devices without issue, including a Samsung several years ago. But it was a CRT.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want you to brick your TV just because I think it's ok.

EDIT: After looking at Rob's file, it's probably best to avoid OBC 77.

Last edited by mdavej on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should only have worried you about trying random codes because that's how you accidentally trip over an unknown code, but every Samsung TV file that I downloaded (and there were 30 of them) had basically the same main codes, they just differed on what additional functions were supported.

So, I am very confident that if any of the buttons in that file that I created do something, they will do what is described. None of the files listed a dangerous code that should be avoided, so I think you're safe.

JezW wrote:
Is there a low risk way of creating a device upgrade for my TV?

I don't understand this question, I already created the upgrade for you.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ok thanks I'll give it a go then.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
EDIT: After looking at Rob's file, it's probably best to avoid OBC 77.

Even that one just says "service menu?" which, to me, implies that it brought up a menu that the user didn't understand or didn't explore any deeper, it doesn't say DON'T USE or anything like that, so i think even that one is safe.
JezW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I started trying to make a device upgrade using the master file, but I don't understand how to test every code without manually assigning (most of) them to a shift button or another device? Then testing each one, noting them down and then coming back to update the master file or edit each entry? I'm wondering whether there's a faster way?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW wrote:
Rob, I started trying to make a device upgrade using the master file, but I don't understand how to test every code without manually assigning (most of) them to a shift button or another device? Then testing each one, noting them down and then coming back to update the master file or edit each entry? I'm wondering whether there's a faster way?

That is the fast way, I can describe the slow method if you like! Smile

The advantage that you have here is that you know in advance what each button will do, if they do anything.

What I would do is:
1. Confirm that all the functions that you think work, do work, then eliminate those ones.
2. Assign the next batch of functions to all the regular (ie, unshifted, etc) buttons on the remote and add that to RMIR.
3. Repeat for the next batch of functions, and then add a 2nd upgrade to RMIR.
4. Once you have 4 upgrades added, assign them to the 4 device buttons, and load it up.
5. Test every button in all 4 device modes. Most of them won't do anything, but for the ones that do, make a note of which button it was (eg. DVD/MENU) and what it did. Then add those buttons to the official upgrade that you're building.

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: