JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apex 1225 DVD player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rastan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Apex 1225 DVD player Reply with quote

I have never been able to find a code to operate my Apex 1225 DVD player, so I'm now learning the keys so at least my RS-2117 can operate the DVD. I have downloaded the learned buttons into IR.

My question is, is there any way to move the learned keys over from IR into keymap? I'm trying to get my wife's 6131 to operate the DVD player, and unless there's a way I'm missing, I can't figure out how to do that.

Sorry if this post sounds confusing, but I'm a bit confused. Smile

Thanks for any help,
Gary
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT has to be done manually.

You look at the Learned Signals tab in IR, read the decode (protocol, device number, EFC/OBC or Hex, etc), and them manually recreate that in KM or RM.

Or, you could just try one of the Apex DVD upgrades that someone else already posted in the DVD/Apex folder at Yahoo.

If you can't get it working with one of those 2 methogs. post your saved IR .txt file that has some learned signals in it, and one of the experts will help you create an upgrade.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Rastan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll try some of those Apex files, I guess I was just looking for the exact #, but probably some of the similar model #'s might work. Makes sense to at least try them Smile

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With major brands, you can usually rely on them to use the same codes for all similar devices, but with Apex they use different codes for alot of their players. However, several models do share the same codes. So, what I would advise you to do is look at the signals that you learned in IR and make a note of the protocol (probably NEC1) and the device codes used. Then make a note of the OBCs or EFCs used for several of the main buttons.

Then start browsing the files in the Apex folder. If the protocol or device codes don't match, skip the file and move on to the next one. If they do match, load the file up into KM and check the button codes to see if they match. THis is because there are several Apex models that use the same protocol and device codes, but use different button codes.

If all that fails to yield a good match, you can create a new upgrade based on the info in IR. Here's a link to a recent thread where I outlined the process.
Rastan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robman, that thread looks like it'll be a lot of help when I find an hour or 2 to work with it.

Also, thanks for the 6131's you sold me in the Valentines sale, they work great so far only missed that Apex DVD, though I just found my lost JP1 cable 2 days ago so I'm fine tuning them now.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's too hard to follow, or you don't have the time, post the 15-2117 IR file (with the Apex stuff learned) in the Diagnosis Area and maybe one of us can take a look at it.

I'm betting it'll match at least one of the existing files.
Rastan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I tried learning all the codes, and 90% of them are NEC1 with device code of 1 & no subdevice #. However, a couple of the codes (3-4) are protocol GAP followed by varying #'s for each code, i.e. gap-578-1323-18? device 63 sub 1 for 1 code, gap 578-1307-20? device 1 sub 14 for another.

I'm pretty sure following the instructions in your AVS post that the NEC1 protocol codes will work, but what do I do setting up the others? Could the gap protocols be a bad learn?

Thanks again for all the help,
Gary
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rastan wrote:
Could the gap protocols be a bad learn?

They're definitely not correct decodes. Most likely they are bad learns. Maybe they are bad decodes of good learns.

I'm doing a big jump to conclusion from the very limited info you provided, but those bad learns look like the result of moving one of the remotes during the learn. To avoid that:

Position both remotes on a level solid surface properly aimed before pressing the buttons to do the learn.

If it does turn out to be bad decoding rather than bad learns, upload the eeprom image containing the learned signals that won't decode, to the Yahoo JP1 diagnosis folder.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnerally speaking, if you're seeing NEC1 (for example) for all the other buttons, but for some buttons you see both NEC1 and a GAP decode, you can ignore the GAP decode and just use the NEC1 info.

As to the WHY part, seeing as how NEC1 is the most standard of all protocols, I seriously doubt there are any bugs in DecodeIR related to that protocol, so my guess is that these are bad learns. (Remember that "bad" simply means that the learn is not using the memory in the most efficient manner possible, "bad" learns usually still work).

If you want to verify that it was a bad learn, simply re-learn the affected buttons and see if it fixes it. This would just be a curiosity exercise as you already have the info you need to build an upgrade.

As John suggested, if you do find that certain buttons produce the GAP decodes no matter how many times you try re-learning them, then go ahead and post a file for John to look at as there may be a tweek or two needed for DecodeIR.
Rastan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I was able to relearn all the keys on the remote in the NEC1 protocol & it worked like a charm. John, yeah, once I put both remotes on a table instead of just holding them, I didn't have any more mistakes. Thanks alot to everyone for their help, & Rob, your AVS forum post you linked in your reply was a great help.

Is it ok to upload the km file for the Apex 1225 to the yahoo section? I put every key from the 1225 remote into the function area of keymap. Or if someone wants to review it first, I can email it to them.

Thanks again for all the help & the time taken to reply,
Gary
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and upload it, there's no review procedure. I'm curious to see what codes it uses so I can see if they're similar to any of the other Apex codes.
Rastan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, it's uploaded now.

Thanks alot again for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: