JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B phantom device question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: RCRP05B phantom device question Reply with quote

I use an RCRP05B to control 5 A/V devices. In addition I just purchased a Monoprice HDMI switch which I use to switch between a BD player and Amazon FireTV. I found a device in the files section which does control the Monoprice switch. It is a very simple device with only 4 buttons corresponding to the four inputs on the switch. I want to incorporate switching inputs into a macro. I have no need to change the switch input independently, so I want to put this device on a phantom device key and then call it in a macro.

For some reason every time I do this it fails. When the macro sends the number for the switch input, it changes the channel on one of my DVRs instead.

I also use a 9910 remote in the same way, and putting the Monoprice device on a phantom device key works for that remote without any problems. That remote is using an extender, which the RCA does not, if that matters.

Any help about what I am sure is something very obvious that I'm doing wrong is appreciated.

SMK
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your RMIR file.

Realize with only 4 buttons you could easily add to any other device with kemoves and not have to use a phantom device at all.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that and am figuring out any keys I don't use currently. However I've pretty much maxed the keys for all other devices, except my receiver. What I did previously because I also use a Zektor component switch was to learn the four codes to the "day" and "page" cluster on the TV device and use them in a macro.

The main issue with using learning is that I'm having trouble learning them for some reason. I keep getting error messages, and when I look in IR it mentions something about repeating codes that are not able to be interpreted.

So, if I put the Monoprice in as a phantom device, can I then keymove the 4 codes to my receiver, which is on the audio key, and then use them in a macro????

Thanks for all your help.

SMK
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to see your file. You also have shifted keys you can use. And you can use keymoved functions in macros. Not sure why you need any learns either. I don't see a need for any phantom device either. Just use keymoves.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, obviously I'm missing something, and believe me I know I am far from an expert at this stuff. I am not using an extender. If I already have 5 devices assigned to the 5 device keys, how do I add another device without assigning it to a phantom device key? How do I do keymoves, if I don't already have a device that the code is attached to before moving?

Are you saying I should create a new device which contains the codes for two devices to put on one device key? I have done that once in the past, not with great success.

If you tell me how to upload the file, I'll be glad to do it.

Again, thank you greatly for all your help.

SMK
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the devices tab you can have dozens of devices not assigned to any real or phantom device key. When you are asked to assign to a device key, don't. Then create keymoves on the keymove tab using just the device code. Once you've created a keymove, use that in your macros. Surely you haven't used all shifted keys on all devices.

Press the upload button at the top of this page:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=35
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help.

I just did as you said and it worked fine!

I greatly appreciate your time and expertise.

SMK
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDaveJ,

I really appreciate your help. I've been using JP-1 remotes since at least 2003 when I joined this forum. I soldered headers into the Cinema6 and Cinema7, which I still have and still work, and I made my own first parallel cable. I've built multiple devices and have had multiple remotes programmed with IR.

I did not know until today that in IR you could do a Keymove from ANY device in the unit's memory. I presumed that something had to be assigned to a device before you could move it, based I guess on my blindly thinking that IR mimicked the way Keymoves worked in the OFA instructions.

This has helped me go back and change some things in all my remotes to make their files simpler, and it allowed me to do something with the Cinema6 I had never been able to.

Thanks again!

SMK
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Glad to hear it. Seems there are a lot of little hidden tricks you can use with these remotes.

This particular trick actually works without IR as well. For example, let's say you have a 4 device remote but want to add some functions from a 5th device. All you do is temporarily assign device 5, make some keymoves, then reassign device 5 to what it was before. The keymoves for device 5 stick even though there is no device button assigned, just as they would with any other device in memory.

I use this for many things, like multi-zone AVRs and satellite boxes with multiple addresses. Just load up as many devices as you want and keymove to your heart's content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: