JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131 with extender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
upsidedown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: 6131 with extender Reply with quote

I have just loaded the extender on the 6131, and have one question (so far) that has me stumped. I am trying to keep it simple to learn before I get more complex,

I have an NAD T742 receiver which has discrete Power On and Power Off codes. I tested the codes on a Cinema 7 to confirm they work.

Using RM, I mapped the AUD key to Power On (EFC 216), and the POWER KEY to Power Off (EFC 045). The POWER key will always Power off the receiver, but the AUD key does not turn it on. When I map Power On to POWER and Power Off to SHIFT POWER (with a reassigned shift key) everything works fine.

Probably a simple solution, but I am stumped.

Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the AUD button have a macro setup to define it for device selection, or did you just create a key move on it?
upsidedown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defined through RM as a simple key move - EFC 216
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On IR's Macros tab, is there a macro defined for the AUD button? Are you using the AUD button to select and control a device, or are you simply trying to use it as your power on button? What device button normally controls the NAD T742?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
On IR's Macros tab, is there a macro defined for the AUD button?

I'll assume there is (since it's there by default and it explains the symptoms).

In the extender a KeyMove doesn't always override a macro. This AUD macro was defined before the AUD KeyMove and the IR operation to resequence KeyMoves was never used, so the macro wins and the KeyMove is useless.

If you don't want the macro, delete it.

If you want the macro when in other device modes but want the KeyMove when in this device mode then resequence KeyMoves (by draging any one KeyMove up or down by its left margin).

More likely you want the Power On action in addition to the device select action. In that case define the power On command on some shifted key that you're not otherwise using. Then edit the AUD macro to invoke that shifted key after selecting the device. (Many people use a phantom rather than a shifted key, but testing and diagnosing problems is easier with a shifted key).
upsidedown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Resequencing Key Moves Worked. Reply with quote

Thanks. I resequenced the key moves as you suggested and it worked. Just so I can be sure I am reading the right stuff, where in the documentation would I have found that.

Thanks again.

Dave
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Resequencing Key Moves Worked. Reply with quote

upsidedown wrote:
where in the documentation would I have found that.

I took a look and I couldn't find it.

I'm sure I wrote that somewhere in some documentation, but I was documenting some other extender. Even if you could find where I wrote that, you have no basis for guessing which features documented for one extender happen to be true but undocumented for another (vs. which documentation differences are because the extenders are different). I knew this one (without ever looking at this extender) just because I know how hard it would be for the author of an extender to avoid having it work that way.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main "lightbulb" point that you need to get when using an extender is that, once the extender is installed, none of the buttons actually do anything until you make them do something. The most important difference being the device selection buttons, these no longer select the device modes unless you specifically program them to do so. Now, the extender writers are usually kind enough to program macros to each of the device buttons to select the right device modes for you, but at the end of the day, they are just macros that you have the ability to override, edit or delete.

So even if the extender documentation didn't cover the part about the sequence of keymoves and macros in the memory, if you have the general concept down about the macros on the device buttons, I think you'd know that the right way to accomplish what you're trying to do is to just add another step to the macro on the AUX button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: