JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can I use an American Slingbox Pro in Hong Kong?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catbag02

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Can I use an American Slingbox Pro in Hong Kong? Reply with quote

I have a Slingbox Classic bought and installed in Hong Kong for years and is working fine. It is being used to stream video from Analog TV and Now TV (cable box) from Hong Kong. Recently, a friend from America brought his old Slingbox Pro SB200-100 to Hong Kong and wanted me to install it at my home so he can watch it from New York. The SB200-100 works fine with the Analog TV but is not able to control Now TV and iCable TV remotely.

When I install the old Slingbox Classic, I can see there is a Now TV option in the cable box setup dropbox and it is a piece of cake to make it work. However, when I install the Slingbox SB200-100, I cannot find the Now TV (and iCable TV) option in the setup dropbox. Although I can download the bin file from JP1 for both cable boxes, neither of them can work. I called Sling Media HK agent and they said overseas Slingbox cannot config to work with Now TV and iCable in Hong Kong. When I use the online help from Sling Media, they said my model is old and cannot support NOW TV and iCable. May I know: -

1. Can Slingbox Pro SB200-100 controls Now TV and iCable cable boxes in Hong Kong? Is this American model barred from doing so?

2. Is there other specific bin files for SB200-100 to control these cable boxes in Hong Kong?

Sunny Chan
Hong Kong
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and Yes Very Happy Basically a BIN file is standard across all platforms and devices. And the only thing with USA models is a built-in tuner will not work. Controlling devices is global.

The crucial point is your statement ".. download the BIN file from JP1 for both cable boxes, neither of them can work..."

You must be doing something worng, but saying 'do not work' means absolutely nothing so we cannot tell you anything.

So try again and this time tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, step-by-step, and at what point things go wrong.
Catbag02

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. It looks like the Sling Media's HK agent wants to sell more Slingboxes in HK and the Online Help agent is not helping at all.

The tuner works fine in Hong Kong and I took the following steps to setup the slingbox:
Using the Now TV Hong Kong (Cable box made by Yu Xing, model number is YX-5218A) as an example

Download the file from JP1 "NOW-TV-HK.ZIP"

Unzip the file and place them in a folder

The unzipped file names are S1106_PL.bin, 1106_RV.bin, YX-5218A - RV.RMDU, YX-5218A.RMDU

Go to slingbox.com and choose "Slingbox Setup" then click on the "Get Started" button.

Choose the correct slingbox (I have multiple slingboxes) by clicking on the icon.

Click the "check for updates" button to ensure it has the latest software.

Click the "config inputs" button to choose the input "S-video" and click on the "next" button. (NOW TV cable box is connected to the S-video)

Click "supported device" URL link and the "Remote control set up" dialog box appears.

Select "Cable TV Box" from the first dropbox and "Custom" from the second dropbox, then press the NEXT button.

Type in the path of the bin file and the file name S1106_PL.bin, the "IR setup code" field shows up "S1106" and I pressed the TEST button.

A dialog shows up "Uploading IR bin file" and the remote control picture appears. The remote control picture does not resemble the physical remote control.

I press the "power" button but it does not work. I followed the same process and use the S1106_RV.bin file but it does not work either.

As mentioned, I have a Slingbox Classic purchased in Hong Kong that I was able to config the remote control by selecting NOW TV cabe box in the dropbox. The remote control picture looks the same of the physical remote contrl. However, when I config this USA SB200-100, I can't find the NOW TV cable box (or the I-Cable too) in the dropbox and have to choose Custom.

I follow the above steps to config the composite input from I-CABLE Hong Kong but cannot succeed.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Regards,

Sunny Chan
Hong Kong
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you seem to have done everything right. I also checked the BIN files and they are definately using the correct codes. So I suspect your IR Blasterrs may not be firing. Have you checked them ? http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000042.html

Are you also sure they are pointing in the right place ?

Also there is a bug in the installation process on the web system that stops the correct image from being downloaded, so you get just the default image. I just installed it on my Classic using the standalone Slingplayer and it displays a silver 'Homecast' remote image. Not sure if that is the one you want ?
Catbag02

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am away from the slingbox site and can only return by next weekend and will check if the remote is firing or not. I am always away from home and this is actually the reason why I need the slingbox.

When I installed the NOW TV HK bin file on the USA slingbox, I got the silver remote control too. However, when I setup the Slingbox Classic that I purchased from Hong Kong, NOW TV HK is available in the setup dropbox and the remote skin is black - exactly the same as the physical slingbox.

Anyway, I will try and report again next week.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catbag02 wrote:
When I installed the NOW TV HK bin file on the USA slingbox, I got the silver remote control too. However, when I setup the Slingbox Classic that I purchased from Hong Kong, NOW TV HK is available in the setup dropbox and the remote skin is black - exactly the same as the physical slingbox.
Sling work in mysterious ways Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: