JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Protocol Crosstalk RMIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Protocol Crosstalk RMIR Reply with quote

When I do custom protocol work, I prefer that my users use IR, because its so simple. In compararison, I feel like you need to be a rocket scientist to navigate RMIR. RMIR's jack-of-all-trades interface is very difficult for me to navigate myself, much less explain to someone else.

Recently, I am being drawn into RMIR more often than I like both for people needing custom protocols as well as just needing basic support.

In the past few months, it seems that all the newbies are switching to RMIR and I'm the only one in the dark. I "pride" myself on the fact that if there is a mistake to be made in JP1-land, I've made it. Laughing So I am usually in a very good position to diagnose what newbies are doing wrong. I have found that not starting out with RMIR has left me lagging behind in my understanding of mistakes.

Lets consider for the moment that average RMIR user is so confused about RMIR that they think that the notes are stored in the remote. This is a rather new phenomenon,probably brought on by the download function which identifies protocols and give you the impression that the information was stored there. I can't remember this being a cause of confusion in IR, but I can see where you'd get that idea from your initial RMIR download. But it does point up that instructions need to be very precise, and that is just not what I do well.

But I'm rambling.

In another post, I was advising a user to close all instances of RMIR and RM before working with custom upgrades with some rather strong words of warning.

mathdon wrote:

vickyg2003 wrote:
RMIR starts making all sorts of decisions that are not in our best interest. RM crosstalks with other sessions, and can corrupt other upgrades. So even though RMIR allows you to customize a protocol, its not real happy about it.

I don't recognise this behaviour. Vicky, can you give me a concrete example of such corruption?

Let me get on with some examples of the Crosstalk problems.

I've zipped together a bunch of files for examples. Here. These problems are seen in RMIR beta 2.02 1.5r, I haven't tested them in your latest version. So maybe something is better than what I'm seeing here

First example:

Open RMIR file "RMIR with custom 9C"
Navigate to the device page
Go File->New->Device Upgrade
Please Note the Custom Protocol
From the Remotemaster session File->Open
Sharp LC60E69U LCD TV standard.
Close the Remote master file
In RMIR Save the new file as JUNK
Close RMIR
Open Junk
Do you see a custom protocol with the device upgrade?

Second Example:
Open RMIR
Open "Sharp LC60e69u LCD TV standard"
Go back to RMIR
Open "Sharp LC60e69u LCD TV custom non Repeating"
Note that the Sharp LC60e60u now has a custom protocol

Third Example:
close RMIR
Open "RMir with custom Panasonic 01FF" by double click from explorer.
Open "Junk custom protocol," via double click from explorer.
Switch to RMIR
From RMIR menu, click File->Open
Select "Junk custom protocol,"
Note that the two Junk custom protocol sessions have different protocols.

That ought to give you a good understanding of why I would avoid RMIR/RM for protocol customization.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Vicky, for these examples. I will look into them.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that these and all other known crosstalk issues have been resolved in RM/RMIR v2.02 Beta 1.5v, which is intended as a release candidate for an official release of RM/RMIR v2.02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: