JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

$10 reward..Discrete IR codes aspect ratios Panasonic ST50?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the aspect ratio selection is a full circle, then it's much tougher. If it's just a list with a top and bottom, beyond which you cannot go, then it's much simpler. Just press aspect/up/up/up/up/up and you're guaranteed to be at the top of the list and from there, simply press down the number of times it takes to get to the desired selection.

Otherwise, I noticed that this TV has wireless LAN. It may be possible to query the TV to find out about the current settings, even if Panasonic publicly claim that the LAN is only for web browsing/DLNA/youtube/etc. Might need to do a little hacking there.

I am a bit surprised that a TV costing this much, does not have an RS-232 port for just such purposes as controlling things more precisely than is typically possible via IR. My Yamaha HTR has RS232 and I would not even bother to send anything to it via IR, since all IR cmds plus a massive set of extended cmds/info are possible via the RS232 connection. I expect that newer stuff uses ethernet for that sort of thing.

As for Vicky's aversion to RC5, I think it has to do with managing the "toggle" bit. It can be tricky, but it is not impossible to over-come.
A.A.
etc6849

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both the format button on the remote and the aspect ratio option in the menu are full circle toggle commands Sad

If you know of a simple (tcp based ascii or hex commands) ip based command protocol I'm interested.

The SOAP that is captured from packet sniffing looks much more difficult to implement, but here are the links for it: http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/21266-panasonic-viera-plasma-ip-control/page__st__15#entry173292 and http://pastebin.com/wQJPKLbU.

I was pretty surprised when I called Panasonic and was told that no ip based protocol exists for my TV. I still think one exists, but I don't know as I talked to four different support folks. This is going to be the last Panasonic product I buy! You are right, the TV is over priced for the features you get. The picture's colors/black detail is better, but it's the only thing the set has going for it.
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc6849 wrote:
Yes, both the format button on the remote and the aspect ratio option in the menu are full circle toggle commands Sad

If you know of a simple (tcp based ascii or hex commands) ip based command protocol I'm interested.

The SOAP that is captured from packet sniffing looks much more difficult to implement, but here are the links for it: http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/21266-panasonic-viera-plasma-ip-control/page__st__15#entry173292 and http://pastebin.com/wQJPKLbU.

I was pretty surprised when I called Panasonic and was told that no ip based protocol exists for my TV. I still think one exists, but I don't know as I talked to four different support folks. This is going to be the last Panasonic product I buy! You are right, the TV is over priced for the features you get. The picture's colors/black detail is better, but it's the only thing the set has going for it.

Well, it seems that you've been at this for a while and only arrived here recently. Reading through all that, the only thing that sounded interesting was that there is another series that does have RS-232. The hacker in me starts to wonder if the difference between the series with and without RS-232 is just a secret setting in eeprom and a connector. To really figure it out, would require access to the FW for the 2 flavors and a bit of reverse-engineering. At the price, you might be a little squeamish to open up the set and root around inside. If you could find a JTAG port......

A.A.
etc6849

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea, however, without prior experience decompiling and then modifying a firmware, I would be too scared to try it on my own. I think it can probably be done.

It would be neater if one could modify the software to act as a tcp socket server then a perl script or something could talk to the TV over the network.
etc6849

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought that came to mind was hotel mode. Does anyone know if any of the consumer Panasonic plasmas offer such a thing?

Sometimes there is an option hidden deep in the service menu to enable such a thing, and usually this either turns on ip control or enables some strange looking port that is really just a serial port.
zhezhang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2002, I had a 42 inch Panasonic monitor. It did have discrete aspect, but it was removed in later models.

I now have a 2009 54 inch V10, for that model, there is still a RS232 port on the TV (but not on the lower end models), and there is a full range of Text commands including discrete inputs, discrete aspect, discrete picture modes and a bunch more (like mute / un-mute, set volume to 35 out of 100 etc.).

Now they removed the RS232, but did they add some IP control?

I can send you the RS232 information if you pm me.
etc6849

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
etc6849

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Free download of a Panasonic ST50 home automation module Reply with quote

Sorry guys for not updating this thread sooner, but I finished my IR module a while back, including a nice web interface.

You can download it here: http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/192-panasonic-st50-series-ir-module/

However, you'll need to install Premise first to use it. Premise is a free home automation program found here: http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Premise

Motorola has taken down the original Premise download link, but here is the page I use by another Premise user: http://www.mediapcforums.com/node/7

Included in the open-source module is a super secret Netflix IR command in CCF format, so be sure to give it a try Smile This was the only neat function I discovered after iterating through several thousand IR codes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: