JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (STB version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OBC of 224 for ESPN was a simple typo. It is 124 (EFC 195) and it does work on my Roku Ultra (11.5.0) as well as the Roku 2.

Sorry for the confusion. An error correcting an error.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Are you sure about the 0-127 thing? Someone figured out some number codes, and OBC233 would be 6. 233-128=105, and that is Roku Channel.

I came up them, but I wasn't listing obc numbers, so 00233 is EFC, Rob came up with OBC equivalent and all fall within 0-127.
jmezz13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
The OBC of 224 for ESPN was a simple typo. It is 124 (EFC 195) and it does work on my Roku Ultra (11.5.0) as well as the Roku 2.

Sorry for the confusion. An error correcting an error.

Thanks for verifying. I'm not sure why it didn't work last night but OBC 124 is working now for ESPN. I had my own user error somehow.
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
They are limited to 0-127. When you see someone post an OBC in the 128-255 range, just delete 128 from it to get the base OBC.

Coming from Robman, I thought I could take that to the bank. But I have several RMDU files that have OBC values above 127 including for LG, Samsung, Toshiba and Tivo.

I'm sitting in front of my computer with 2 monitors, the secondary being a Samsung TV. Looking at the Samsung TV Master File there are Discrete On and Off commands that have OBC values of 153 and 152 respectively. Those translate to EFC5 of 00001 and 00253 respectively. Those EFC values work correctly for those functions on my TV.

I tried subtracting 128 from those OBC values to get 25 and 24. Plugging those values into the RMDU file results in EFC values of 249 and 245. The 25 (249) was already taken by "add/erase" (whatever that is). Both 00249 and 00245 result in a "Not available" on my TV (a 22" FHD model).

Possibly I misunderstood Rob's "delete 128 from it to get the base OBC" and there are some other under 127 OBC values that will give EFC values that will perform those functions. I must be confused about something.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 128 limit applies to this particular protocol, not all protocols. All Roku functions will have a 0-127 OBC value. that's just how the math works. No way around it. Sorry
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
The Robman wrote:
They are limited to 0-127. When you see someone post an OBC in the 128-255 range, just delete 128 from it to get the base OBC.

Coming from Robman, I thought I could take that to the bank. But I have several RMDU files that have OBC values above 127 including for LG, Samsung, Toshiba and Tivo.

Lol, I didn't mean that for *ALL* protocols, just the Roku protocol, which is the subject of this thread. Every protocol is different in what they support, but on average, most protocols support OBCs in the range 0-255.

IIRC, the Roku protocol sends sends a 2 part signal where the first part is the OBC in the 0-127 range, and the second part is the same OBC+128. What the code actually does is flip the high bit (MSB), so when you use an OBC in the range 128-255 what actually happens is the high OBC gets sent first and then the low OBC gets sent second, but as the signal repeats, the Roku device itself doesn't care and still responds.
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Lol, I didn't mean that for *ALL* protocols, just the Roku protocol, which is the subject of this thread.

Ah! OK. If you'll forgive me for taking a snippet as a global rule, I'll forgive you for making search for exceptions. Actually a good thing as I further my understanding of the JP1 world.
________
Dick
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice a bit of confusion between EFC5 and OBC. I was looking at the info posted a few months ago about the numbers. When I type in the EFC5 posted, with the remote set to RCRP05B with extender v1.04, I get different numbers.

For the number zero: If I put in the EFC5 of 00101, the OBC is 175, hex F5 and EFC is 101. If I put in OBC 47, the EFC5 changes to 00109, EFC to 109, and hex to F4.

Haven't been able to see if both numbers will work or not.
dtrump

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Notice a bit of confusion between EFC5 and OBC. I was looking at the info posted a few months ago about the numbers. When I type in the EFC5 posted, with the remote set to RCRP05B with extender v1.04, I get different numbers.

For the number zero: If I put in the EFC5 of 00101, the OBC is 175, hex F5 and EFC is 101. If I put in OBC 47, the EFC5 changes to 00109, EFC to 109, and hex to F4.

Haven't been able to see if both numbers will work or not.

I just tested EFC5 of both 00109 and 00101 and they both do produce a zero in the Search field of my Roku. I'm curious where you came up with the EFC5 of 00101. It does result in the OBC of 175 as you describe. Were you just sequencing through the EFC5 possibilities and found that worked for 0?
The EFC5 of 00109 also produces the 0 as would be expected by its entry in the RMDU.
It is interesting that two EFC5 values would produce the same results yet one is invalid because of the 0 to 127 OBC rule that has been discussed for Roku.
______
Dick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFC 109 = OBC 47
EFC 101 = OBC 175

175 - 128 = 47
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
It is interesting that two EFC5 values would produce the same results yet one is invalid because of the 0 to 127 OBC rule that has been discussed for Roku.
______
Dick
They're not invalid. They just effectively repeat after 128. So 175 is just as valid as 47. So if you want to use 128-255, those will work fine. It's just a waste of time.

EDIT: Corrected per Rob's explanation below.

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
the Roku protocol sends sends a 2 part signal where the first part is the OBC in the 0-127 range, and the second part is the same OBC+128. What the code actually does is flip the high bit (MSB), so when you use an OBC in the range 128-255 what actually happens is the high OBC gets sent first and then the low OBC gets sent second, but as the signal repeats, the Roku device itself doesn't care and still responds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: