JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B Extender - What does TV/OK Mean?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll declare this hopeless and discard the remote.
I tried downloading the remote, then installing the extender, and then holding setup to deactivate the extender. No luck. the CBL button blinks twice then after a few seconds it blinks twice again. Then pressing TV, the CBL button blinks twice and then TV blinks once.
Tried clearing with 980 and 981 then uploading an rmir file from a brand new remote. Then pressing TV causes CBL to blink twice. After that, no blinking from any of the device buttons or any other button.

If anyone would care to look at the files, I've uploaded the rmir file from the dead remote without extender at this link:
without extender

And the rmir file from the dead remote with the extender installed is at this link:
with extender
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If THIS clean file doesn't work, PM me and we'll try plan B.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be confused here, but if dannyo's remote still has an active extender in it, I think that the file to upload must have at least a signature of 3A793A79 rather than 31793179. But both of dannyo's files and mdavej's file have a signature of 31793179 on the Raw Data tab.

So I would think (but am not sure) that the clean file to upload should be generated by using IR.exe, File\New, and selecting the extender RDF. I don't know how to get RMIR to make a clean extended upload.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If THIS clean file doesn't work, PM me and we'll try plan B.

I'm hopeful that mdavej can work with dannyo to get the remote working again.

dannyo wrote:

However should you give up and decide to discard the remote, then make sure you put it in a box for UPS to "dispose" of it at my location.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I may be confused here, but if dannyo's remote still has an active extender in it, I think that the file to upload must have at least a signature of 3A793A79 rather than 31793179. But both of dannyo's files and mdavej's file have a signature of 31793179 on the Raw Data tab.

So I would think (but am not sure) that the clean file to upload should be generated by using IR.exe, File\New, and selecting the extender RDF. I don't know how to get RMIR to make a clean extended upload.

This is a good point, since there are no specific RMIR instructions for this extender. Unclemiltie's readme only addresses IR 8.0. However, If I were to try to install a "clean file" through RMIR then I would do the following.
  1. File > New > Remote Image > RCA RCRP05B
  2. File > Install Extender... > find respective the "3A79ext-notes.hex" file
  3. Remote > Upload to remote
However, the readme.txt which comes with this extender specifically states.
unclemiltie wrote:
There have been issues with using this extender "from scratch" because certain data that are in the remote by default. The most reliable way to build an extended remote is to download a "base" remote configuration with IR (and save it!) and then to install the extender into that configuration. This will ensure that the default data is loaded into the remote remains correct.

So, I don't think a "clean file" is the way to go. Another interesting thing to point out is dannyo's scrambled-extinst-download.rmir file has a remote signature of 31793179. This means he did NOT install the 3A793A79 extender as 3FG has pointed out, or possibly the remote didn't accept the upload of the extender.

If I were to try and fix dannyo's problem, I would try
  1. File > Open > Remote Image > scrambled-download.rmir
  2. File > Install Extender... > find respective the "3A79ext-notes.hex" file
  3. Remote > Upload to remote

Also, I don't know if I should report this to Greg and Graham, but when I open the scrambled-extinst-download.rmir file, RMIR doesn't render the window contents properly. It only shows me the Create New Button and the rest of the screen is gray. It doesn't start to render the contents till I start hovering the pointer around and open up menus. Opening his other file doesn't give me these symptoms.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, my clean file was downloaded from an RCA out of the box, not made from "File-New", so it is the base config the readme recommends. I couldn't tell if the extender was ever actually loaded or not. Something to try would be similar to what eferz said, but start with my file, then merge with ext-install, upload and activate. Then try to deactivate and 981 reset. Failing that, my plan B is to reflash the entire ROM which I've had to do myself on a couple of occasions.

The scrambled extender RMIR file was also scrambled for me. Couldn't read a thing.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz,
The fact that the readback signature is 3179 doesn't tell us anything about whether an extender was loaded. It just tell us that subsequent to an extender being loaded, something else was uploaded to the E2 area, and of course we know that has happened.

Anyway, I believe that an extender was loaded because if one isn't loaded. and an E2 image from another RCRP05B is uploaded, the remote will work. dannyo tried that.

Regarding the quote in red about File\New, The RDF file included in V1.32 does correctly setup the E2 area using File\New, at least for an unextended remote. I went to some effort to make that work. Of course, if one has a the subject remote, it's fine to start with a download.

I think mdavej's plan of action is a good one.
dannyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Quote:

This means he did NOT install the 3A793A79 extender as 3FG has pointed out, or possibly the remote didn't accept the upload of the extender.

I "loaded" the extender using RMIR's File/Install Extender... The raw data changes greatly so I think it installed.

mdavej wrote:
Quote:

Just to clarify, my clean file was downloaded from an RCA out of the box

I looked at your file with notepad. It doesn't have any of the
[General]
Remote.name=RCA RCRP05B black
Remote.signature=31793179
Notes=
stuff in it. Is this ok with RMIR?

Remember, I'm using RMIR. (because it was the latest software and I believe it is good for RM and IR work).
dannyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
I opened RMIR 2.02 beta.
Opened your clean ir file (without [general] and [settings] stuff.
Installed the extender with file/Install Extender... (raw data changes greatly)
Then uploaded (green lites blinking on usb connector)
unplugged remote.
Pressed TV then OK to activate.
CBL blinked twice then TV Blinked when TV was tapped.
CBL blinked twice when OK was tapped.
Then I tried to deactivate with a long press of the setup button.
TV blinks twice immediately then blinks twice again after a couple seconds.
Then tried a 981 reset by holding setup.
TV blinks twice immediately then blinks twice again after a couple seconds.
I tapped the 9, 8, and 1 buttons.
Each number pressed causes the TV to blink twice and then CBL blinks once.

I would expect two blinks after the 981
Now the TV blinks twice when tapped.
TV blinks twice and then CBL blinks once when CBL is tapped.
CBL blinks twice then TV blinks once when TV is pressed etc.......
If I tap a device button a second time, it blinks twice.
I'm thinking the remote is still scrambled??
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyo wrote:
I tried downloading the remote, then installing the extender, and then holding setup to deactivate the extender. No luck. the CBL button blinks twice then after a few seconds it blinks twice again. Then pressing TV, the CBL button blinks twice and then TV blinks once.
Tried clearing with 980 and 981 then uploading an rmir file from a brand new remote. Then pressing TV causes CBL to blink twice. After that, no blinking from any of the device buttons or any other button.

If anyone would care to look at the files, I've uploaded the rmir file from the dead remote without extender at this link:
without extender

And the rmir file from the dead remote with the extender installed is at this link:
with extender

Pm me with your email, I will send you a known good ir file. If that doesn't work, I can send other diagnostic tools
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Regarding the quote in red about File\New, The RDF file included in V1.32 does correctly setup the E2 area using File\New, at least for an unextended remote. I went to some effort to make that work. Of course, if one has a the subject remote, it's fine to start with a download.

Excellent work! Then by your professional opinion, would you say the instructions for this particular executor is outdated by your efforts in resolving the $22 ($622) memory location for the 1.32 version of this RDF?

eferz wrote:
This means he did NOT install the 3A793A79 extender as 3FG has pointed out, or possibly the remote didn't accept the upload of the extender.
3FG wrote:
The fact that the readback signature is 3179 doesn't tell us anything about whether an extender was loaded. It just tell us that subsequent to an extender being loaded, something else was uploaded to the E2 area, and of course we know that has happened.
dannyo wrote:
I "loaded" the extender using RMIR's File/Install Extender... The raw data changes greatly so I think it installed.

Okay, in light of this line of communications I'm a little confused. Because when I apply the RCA 3A793A79 executer to a file with the 31793179 signature, then the signature changes in the first seven bytes of in the raw data. In fact, if you subtract 30h from the hexadecimal bytes it matches the signature exactly. The numbers "31(1)" becomes "41(A)" in columns 01 and 05 when the executer is applied. As demonstrated below.

So my question is, if danyo installed the executor onto his remote a second time then saved a copy and uploaded it as "scrambled-extinst-download.rmir" then why doesn't the signature match appropriately? Shouldn't the signature have also been updated to 3A793A79? I can understand the signature flipping back to 31793179 when he loaded over the executor with the original RDF in the "scrambled-download.rmir" file, but it isn't clear why signatures are the same in both of his uploaded files.

Another question I have is about this "E2/EEPROM" area. Is it a separate data space which is not not downloaded when using RMIR? From the verbiage used so far, it sounds like installing executors on to remotes is a one way write into the "E2/EEPROM" area which cannot be read. Is that correct or am I misinterpreting what was written?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat confused by the use of the term "executor". Perhaps you mean "extender". Anyway, I don't know if the File\New will work with an extender. Probably. Very Happy

Regarding the signature, it resides in flash memory and you can change it by entering a new value of the Raw Data tab. For example, using a non-extended RCRP05B, I changed the sig to 3579 from 3179. That uploaded fine to the remote, and downloaded too, although RMIR complained that it had no RDF file to match 3579. It is still possible to change the sig back or to do a 981 reset, in which case the remote will set it back to 3179.

So even though dannyo may have installed an extender, depending on when he saved his download from the extended remote, it may have the wrong signature.

The name E2 memory is a leftover name from when remotes used EEPROM for memory. Most remotes now have around 64Kbytes of flash memory, and most of it is taken up with UEI firmware, which we can 't access with RMIR or IR. However, some of the flash memory is intended to be modified with upgrades, keymoves, macros, and learned signals. We call that the E2 area, and RMIR overwrites all of it each time it uploads an image to the remote.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I'm somewhat confused by the use of the term "executor". Perhaps you mean "extender". Anyway, I don't know if the File\New will work with an extender. Probably. Very Happy

Heh, heh. Yes, I meant "extender". I don't know what's going on with me lately. I've been having these brain hiccups where I'm using the wrong names for things and people. Quite frankly, I'm lucky to be able to get away with "babe" or "hun" in other situations otherwise I'm sure to end up with various pots and pans with indentations which coincidentally matches the contours of my head.

3FG wrote:
Regarding the signature, it resides in flash memory and you can change it by entering a new value of the Raw Data tab. For example, using a non-extended RCRP05B, I changed the sig to 3579 from 3179. That uploaded fine to the remote, and downloaded too, although RMIR complained that it had no RDF file to match 3579. It is still possible to change the sig back or to do a 981 reset, in which case the remote will set it back to 3179.

So even though dannyo may have installed an extender, depending on when he saved his download from the extended remote, it may have the wrong signature.

Interesting. So, its sounds possible that despite the remote not giving the expected led feedback that he could have initiated a 981 reset which reverted the remote's signature.

3FG wrote:
The name E2 memory is a leftover name from when remotes used EEPROM for memory. Most remotes now have around 64Kbytes of flash memory, and most of it is taken up with UEI firmware, which we can 't access with RMIR or IR. However, some of the flash memory is intended to be modified with upgrades, keymoves, macros, and learned signals. We call that the E2 area, and RMIR overwrites all of it each time it uploads an image to the remote.

Awesome. Thanks for clarifying that for me. But, I'm still not sure whether or not we can read the E2 area with RMIR. Though its good to know we can write to it.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E2 area is the part of memory (the only part of memory) that RMIR or IR reads from and writes to. When you download from a remote, the entire contents of E2 is read and displayed in the Raw Data tab. And when RMIR uploads to a remote everything that was displayed on the Raw Data tab is written to the remote.
dannyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
So my question is, if danyo installed the executor onto his remote a second time then saved a copy and uploaded it as "scrambled-extinst-download.rmir" then why doesn't the signature match appropriately? Shouldn't the signature have also been updated to 3A793A79? I can understand the signature flipping back to 31793179 when he loaded over the executor with the original RDF in the "scrambled-download.rmir" file, but it isn't clear why signatures are the same in both of his uploaded files.

I was careful no to do any setup presses or 9xx's during the check.

The first file, scrambled-download, was generated by
downloading from an new unused remote and saving.
starting RMIR from scratch
uploading the saved "new" image to the remote.
Pressing TV (if I don't press TV, the saved file will be identical to the "new" file.)
Downloading the remote to the "scrambled-download" file.
Both the original and "scrambled-download" file have the same 31793179 signature but about four different data values. (data values will be identical if the TV is not tapped.)

The second file, scrambled-exinst-download, was generated by
starting RMIR from scratch
uploading the saved "new" image to the remote.
Installing extender 3A79ext-notes.hex using File/Install Extender..
Uploading the image to the remote.
Downloading the remote to the "scrambled-exinst-download" file.
All files, the original out-of-box, the "scrambled-download" file, and the "scrambled-exinst-download" files have the same 31793179 signature but with different raw data values.

Shouldn't the signature change for each different RAW data listing?

Edited: Added Uploading the image after installing the extender for the second file.

Last edited by dannyo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: