JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking to control 4 devices with RCA RCRP05B
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdtec

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Looking to control 4 devices with RCA RCRP05B Reply with quote

Hello, I'm interested in getting an RCA RCRP05B to control 4 devices, here are the models:

Yamaha HTR-3064 receiver (included with YHT-395 HTIB)
Samsung UN46D6000 TV
Motorola QIP7232 P2 DVR
Toshiba SD-1600 DVD player

I want the power button to normally function for the receiver, TV, and DVR and would like to lock the volume buttons to the receiver and the channel buttons to the DVR at all times. Sometimes I'll need to switch sources on the TV and I'm guessing switching the remote to TV mode and using the D-pad is the best way to accomplish that. For the receiver, I'll mostly only need to switch the input when watching a video via DLNA on my TV, and then switch it back to HDMI1 when I'm done. It'd be nice to have one button to do that on the remote instead of having to switch to receiver mode, change the input, and then switch back. Other than that I don't believe I'm interested in too many advanced macros or anything and I'd like to do this without using a JP1 cable if possible.

What is the best way to start? Should I do everything via codes or just teach commands? I should be able to take care of the basics just by reading the manual, but I wanted to know the best way to proceed for things like all the DVR and Yamaha functions.

Thanks for any help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little background. This thread started in another forum. The OP does not have a JP1 cable and has never used any of our tools. So this technically belongs in the Non-JP1 forum. He just needs setup codes to start and should follow up in the code search forum for each device later. I sent him here mainly because helping him with yamaha codes is beyond my knowledge, given the special protocols we typically use for yamaha. So any guidance for translating yahama codes to a workable solution for a Non-JP1 user would be greatly appreciated.

To answer your questions, hdtec, you should do as much with codes as possible since learning takes a lot more memory. We have a lot of documentation at the Wiki linked at the top of the page on using our tools which can get you most of the codes you need. So my advice is to follow the printed instructions try some codes in the instructions first that at least partially operate your devices. Then post back in the code search forum and fill out the template as described in the stickies. With a partially working codes we can more easily fill in the missing codes for you.

Since it sounds like you're only looking for basic functionality, you may not need any individual advanced codes at all. So see how far you can get and post back if you get stuck.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you'll be wanting Volume Punch Through and Channel Lock functionality. The manual supplied with the RCRP05B gives incorrect instructions (unless they've fixed it recently) for both functions. Use the Wiki\Manual Programming 9xx Commands to see how to set these in the RCRP05B (973 and 993 Type 2).

Edited to fix 973 typo.

Last edited by 3FG on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guesses for your setup codes:

AUD 0176, 1176 or 1276
TV 1903
CBL 0476
DVD 0503

Let us know if these work and any functions you want that are missing.
hdtec

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good initial info. I checked the RCA manual for volume lock and it seems the only step it's missing compared to the wiki is pressing Vol+ before the desired device button. So thanks for pointing that out. You mentioned 773 and 993 Type 2 but I'm not seeing 773 on that page.

Thanks for the initial codes...I will try those out when I get the remote and post back. What do you mean when you say "fill in the missing codes." By reading the manual it seems you just provide one code per device key. Do you mean if a code works but only partially, it will help lead to a slightly different code to replace it with? And then once it's as good as it's going to get, I can fix any keys that aren't working right by learning?

Also, if I got the One For All version OARP05S seen here, could I reasonably expect it to behave identically to the RCA? I'm only interested in it because the black keys stand out better against the silver, but I'll probably just get whichever's cheapest.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's identical. By missing codes, I mean missing individual functions or keys that aren't working right. Although learning is always an option, those can be added without learning. This ability is one thing that makes these remotes so unique and powerful.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, 773 was a typo. Use command 973 for Channel Lock.

Actually the instructions for VPT are not only wrong as you noted, but also the instructions on how to clear it. It is additionally possible to use different VPT setups for each device mode, and that isn't in the instructions. The Channel Lock instructions have similar issues.

However, if you get a OARP05S, I'll be curious to see if the instructions are different.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
It is additionally possible to use different VPT setups for each device mode, and that isn't in the instructions.

Gee, you learn something every day. I thought this was only something we can do with a cable, so I went back and read the wiki and learned something new!

I wonder when they are going to get around to correcting the documentation. You'd think this would be a support nightmare, but then maybe not that many people use advanced features of these remotes. Heck I know I'm always amazed when I walk into someone else's house and see the basket full of OEM UNIVERSAL remotes that have not been cross programmed to operate the other equipment.

I actually wonder how I'd be managing my complex entertainment center now if my husband hadn't broken that first OEM remote forcing me to buy several universal remotes before I found the One-for-All that actually had a code that worked. And if a function that I needed had been included I wouldn't have called tech support where they didn't have a function for the add Channel button, but they clued me in to an unofficial website that showed me how to do an efc search. And if I hadn't needed to find another EFC several months later but the new one-for-all tech had known where to send me for the EFC search instructions, I wouldn't have posted at remotecentral looking for information, and had Rob and James talk me into adding a 6 pin header to my URC-7800 and buying a simple JP1 cable..............

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
hdtec

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003, sounds like you've had quite the journey!

3FG: "It is additionally possible to use different VPT setups for each device mode" I don't think I would need that feature as I always want the volume keys to control my receiver, however I am interested in "copying" other device functions to other modes as mdavej mentioned was possible in my original thread. In other words, it'd be nice if the Input button on the remote switched my receiver input no matter what device mode I was in. Would there be a way to have the same button switch to optical when in HDMI1 and also switch back to HDMI1 when in optical? That sounds trickier since the Yamaha remote has a unique button for each input.

mdavej: Being able to add codes for individual keys sounds useful...is that something else that's undocumented in the manual? I only noticed adding codes per device key.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdtec wrote:
Being able to add codes for individual keys sounds useful...is that something else that's undocumented in the manual? I only noticed adding codes per device key.

Yes its EXTREMELY useful. It can really streamline remote operation.

I know this was addressed to Dave, but let me jump in here to help the guys help you.

Yamaha has started using a variation of the Nec protocol where the complement of function code has a couple of bits changed. We were calling this the Yamaha-GAP because our tools didn't decode it correctly and was calling it a GAP.

AFAIK only one setup code, Audio/2061, can send this Yamaha GAP code natively. The 8820N, 10820N and RCA RCRP05B all contain this code.
So this isn't as hopeless as you might think.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdtec,

You can certainly have any button perform the same function in any device mode. That's called a global macro. Or you can accomplish the same thing with key copies. This remote also has device specific macros which can be different in each device mode.

As for you input key, you need to broaden your thinking now that you have a more powerful remote. You can certainly have that key in any device mode. But remember that you can also have absolutely every function of every device and use them all in macros. Using discrete input commands (like HDMI1 and Optical) in your macros, you can program the remote such that you never have to touch the input key. If you are familiar with harmony "activities", that's the way you need to set up your RCA. The idea is to be able to press one button to "watch tv", "watch a movie", etc. The button would run a macro that turns on your tv, cable box and stereo and select the appropriate input for the tv and the stereo. So "watch tv" would select HDMI1 I assume and "watch movie" would select optical, per your example. Programming this kind of thing is a bit tedious without a cable and JP1 software, but certainly doable.

Documentation about individual codes per key is an odd thing. It used to be a big selling point and in the manuals. They called it the "magic" key. European JP1 remotes often still have this in their manuals. This ability to program individual functions using codes also enables you to do things that aren't even on the original remotes, like discrete inputs and discrete on and off. You can even make some DVD and Blu-ray players region free using these hidden functions. Vicky's Lookup Tool at the top of the page lists thousands individual function codes (EFC). Our upgrade files have even more. Even if you never get a cable, in order to find and use these codes yourself, you should install and learn to use our JP1 software (RM or KM) which reads our upgrade files and lists all the individual codes for nearly any device.
hdtec

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 and mdavej: Thanks for the information. I'll definitely be interested in taking a look at the software to obtain codes and in the key copies or global macros. I guess the reason I never saw myself setting up the "activities" is because the steps to do these things are relatively simple, and are sometimes being started from different points. For example, sometimes when I want to watch a movie the TV is already on, and sometimes it's not. Sometimes the source menu will have the top-most item selected when you open it, sometimes it will be the bottom one. For these reasons I wasn't really envisioning having a macro that does everything necessary to start watching a movie - rather, I picture switching to TV mode, using the D-pad like normal to pick my source, and hitting one button to switch the receiver to optical input, which honestly I'd be happy with. But of course, like anything else, that's what you think starting out, but then you start getting interested in all the possibilities as you go along. So I'll see where this takes me. Smile

Unfortunately I don't have the remote yet, been a busy few days, but I hope to have it very soon and will report back once I've tried the initial setup codes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what discrete commands do. It doesn't matter what the current state of your devices are. Discrete commands always go to the correct state. For example, discrete on will just turn your tv on, never off. If it's already on, the command will have no effect. Same with discrete inputs. It doesn't matter if you were on the first input or the tenth. Discrete input five will always go straight to input five. If you're already on input five, it will do nothing.

These discrete commands often aren't on your original remote, but they usually are in our database, and if they exist, your device will respond to them. When you use them in macros, they never fail, no matter what state your devices are currently in. And the other members in your family don't have to know the ins and outs of what menus or inputs to use. They just press the button you programmed, and everything is magically set up and ready to go.
hdtec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That's what discrete commands do. It doesn't matter what the current state of your devices are. Discrete commands always go to the correct state. For example, discrete on will just turn your tv on, never off. If it's already on, the command will have no effect. Same with discrete inputs. It doesn't matter if you were on the first input or the tenth. Discrete input five will always go straight to input five. If you're already on input five, it will do nothing.

These discrete commands often aren't on your original remote, but they usually are in our database, and if they exist, your device will respond to them. When you use them in macros, they never fail, no matter what state your devices are currently in. And the other members in your family don't have to know the ins and outs of what menus or inputs to use. They just press the button you programmed, and everything is magically set up and ready to go.

I see...that definitely sounds useful then. Thanks for all the help, I'll report back soon.
hdtec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm finally back with the remote in hand, sorry for the delay! I ended up getting the RCA instead of the One For All so I could pick it up at Best Buy with gift cards.

I apologize in advance if I say anything that is incorrect. As you can imagine it started getting a little confusing as I tried many codes and experimented with which functions did and didn't work. However I jotted down some notes and I'll describe where I think I am currently. mdavej's original codes were pretty accurate, I'll break it down by device:

DVD - 0503 turns it on and off. I didn't try anything else because this is very low priority right now.

TV - 1903 turns it on and off. None of the playback controls work for when I'm playing videos via DLNA (on the TV remote, FF and REW do not work, but you can play and pause and use left and right to skip by increments). I'll also need to program a specific button to the Source button that brings up a list of available sources.

CBL - 0476 works pretty well for the Motorola DVR (when I tried to assign this to the DVR device key it didn't work, I had to use the code with the CBL button. I could re-assign it to the DVR key I imagine, but it's no big deal). Most things work great (even page up/down and the day +/- keys which aren't available on the Verizon remote), but there are a handful that don't: On Demand, Live, Prev/Next (above the FF and REW keys, skips increments), List (should bring up list of shows like the DVR button on the Verizon remote). Play is a little weird - the play button itself does not work, but I can "play" the video when it's paused by pressing pause again. So if I'm rewinding and I want to play, I have to first pause, then hit pause again. Also, I need to assign a key (ABCD or whatever) to the Options key on the Verizon remote.

AUD - This one unfortunately is tricky for turning on and off. 1276 will turn it off but not on. 2061 will also turn it off but not on, but also provides functionality for the D-pad and Enter key, which the others don't. 0376 would turn it on but not off. I'm afraid this is going to cause problems for getting the Power macro to work right for this device. I read around and it seems Yamaha receivers have had separate on and off codes for a long time - however, my OEM remote does have a single power button that turns it on and off, so I'm hopeful that button uses some code that I can get the RCA to use as well. I was able to successfully clear the TV volume lock and re-assign the volume lock to the receiver per the wiki's instructions, which works great.

No need to discuss locking other keys or macros at this time, since that stuff is "phase 2." If any help could be given on progressing from here I'd really appreciate it! So far I like the remote - easy to hold and full-featured.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by hdtec on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: