JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta testers needed for RCA RCRP05B extender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
oops: Xshift is supposed to be $C0

This is why all of these problems are happening. This is an RDF issue

just checked the code. Xshift is indeed $C0, so change the line in the RDF to say that Xshift is $C0 and not $40
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0 wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:
I sent Bill email about two Phantom7 keys. Not sure it's his issue.

It's a simple typo on line 132 of Bill's RDF file, where he lists out all the phantom keys. Just change the line from...
Code:
Phantom1=$68:Shift+Xshift,Phantom2,Phantom3,Phantom4,Phantom5,Phantom6,Phantom7,Phantom7,Phantom9,Phantom10,

to
Code:
Phantom1=$68:Shift+Xshift,Phantom2,Phantom3,Phantom4,Phantom5,Phantom6,Phantom7,Phantom8,Phantom9,Phantom10,

I will fix this, the final change will be to set the starting address to $67 and not $68. The intent is that there will be 10 Phantoms since they can't be shifted or Xshifted we need more
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0 wrote:
One RDF issue right off the bat: what should be Phantom8 is instead mislabeled as a second Phantom7.

Also, with the extender installed, I discovered a problem with my Shift-Device macros to power on my equipment. Most of them are OK, but I'm no longer able to assign a macro to Shift-DVR. In fact, it appears that I can't use the shift key with any key code >= $40. So I'm guessing this is a sacrifice that had to be made in order to support XShift?

Fixed in 0.3 for the Phantom 8 definition

And your assessment is correct that to support Xshift, I had to give up on Shifts for any key above $3F. This is the dev4, dev5 and DVR key. A good sacrifice in my mind but one that we have to live with.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
you may want to remove from readme.txt about the keymove for deactivating, since it's not here, as there is just one way to deactivate.

Question: since I relocated Setup to OnDemand, LKP of OnDemand deactivates. Is that how you wanted it? For some reason I thought it'll be tied to the real Setup button forever, no matter where I put it. Wishful thinking on my part?

yes, whatever key is defined as Shift, a long press of shift will deactivate. I thought I got the keymove stuff out of the readme, I'll get it in the next rev. My intention is that the deactivation is now only on long-press of setup.

ElizabethD wrote:

Also, is this information current - "While operating as an unextended remote, the LED will blink twice for every keypress to indicate that the extender is not being used."
It doesn't blink twice for every keypress when deactivated. (Neither did Atlas)

The double-blink is a failsafe. What this means is that if the first "page" of the extender is erased by a 981 reset or something like that, the extender will blink twice for every key to tell the user that htey need to re-install the IR file. This is a side effect of how a 981 really works in that it doesn't erase the entire keymove area, it only erases the first 80 bytes. The remainder of the extender is there and I built into it a failsafe. In general, you should never see this.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:

The double-blink is a failsafe. What this means is that if the first "page" of the extender is erased by a 981 reset or something like that, the extender will blink twice for every key to tell the user that htey need to re-install the IR file.
Bill, are you saying that if the extender is deactivated AND the first page is not clobbered we don't see the double blinking?

Do we need in the RDF a line such as this in FAV-supporting extenders
FavKey=$22,$1E,15,5
will that bring in Scan/Fav screen or is there no FAV support?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
unclemiltie wrote:

The double-blink is a failsafe. What this means is that if the first "page" of the extender is erased by a 981 reset or something like that, the extender will blink twice for every key to tell the user that htey need to re-install the IR file.
Bill, are you saying that if the extender is deactivated AND the first page is not clobbered we don't see the double blinking?

yes. Every time the extender is called by the base remote, it checks to see if the extender is still there. I'm able to do this because when the remote is reset it does not erase all of the Advance Code area, but just the first page, which is good enough for the keyboard-based Adv Code entry routines to know that they can add stuff. This checking code is in the last few bytes of where the extender resides. It essentially says:

Code:

if (extender present) {execute extender code} else {blink 2x, execute normal remote}

ElizabethD wrote:

Do we need in the RDF a line such as this in FAV-supporting extenders
FavKey=$22,$1E,15,5
will that bring in Scan/Fav screen or is there no FAV support?

yea, the RDF needs to have this in there. FAV support is coded into the extender so if the RDF is updated it should turn on. It's the same code from the "fixed" atlas so I have high confidence that it will work. This is fixed in V0.3.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is the first time I've ever worked with an LKP-enabled extender, I have what may be a newbie-ish question.

I've set up my device keys as LKPs, with a short press executing XShift-device (which performs the normal device select macro sequence) and a long press executing Shift-device (which performs the turn-everything-on-and-select-the-right-inputs macro). That all works a treat.

Here comes the part I'm unsure about, tho. I've had to duplicate each LKP button definition on every device. In other words, I have the same CBL LKP defined on the CBL button in the TV device + AUD device + DVD device + CBL device, so that the LKP will be recognized no matter what mode I'm in when I push the CBL button.

Is there a cleaner way to do this with without duplicating all those LKP setups?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is. Anything on the Macro tab is a global macro, meaning it will execute in every device mode. So put one CBL macro on the Macro tab that calls your LKP.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks! I hadn't figured that the special nature of an LKP would still be in effect when called from a macro like that.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0,
Just to elaborate what mdavej said - my take on this:
Basically, for most of the stuff, a common macro can be used. No duplication of LKP.
But watch out for the "which device are we in now" issue.
The way I handle is via common, global macro, something like this
AUD macro= phantomX
Then every device calls this macro using Dev_AUD after the one keysets macro is used. Something like this:
TV macro= Dev_AUD,Set_Vol,Dev_TV, phantom9, Dev_AUD,phantomX
where phantom9 sets a bunch of keys I want for all devices (you can just use the set, set, set jobs as well here)

Then in AUD/PhantomX: LKP on the short side I just do Dev_Cancel nothing. Keysets are ready from the calling macro, nothing more to do.
On the long side, Dev_Cancel is followed by are the keymoves or whatevers that belong to the calling device - usually synchronizing inputs.

The reason for Dev_Cancel is I don't want to end up controlling AUD device. I want to control TV or CBL or DVD or ...
When the AUD LKP job ends, on either side, I'm, still controlling TV, or whatever called the LKP in the first place.
The only time Dev_Cancel not needed is for the AUD device itself.

I do it like this in 8910, 6131, C7, Atlas, and looks like it works here as well.

I've heard conflicting opinions about Dev_Cancel, as in 'you never need it'. But I use it because it works for me.

EDIT:Please ignore all my writing about the need for Dev_Cancel. It's not correct.
EDIT#2: : After a bit of discussion, the sort of setup I use does require Dev_Cancel, but not on the short side of LKP. You can see detail in several posts below.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 am; edited 4 times in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

I do it like this in 8910, 6131, C7, Atlas, and looks like it works here as well.

I've heard conflicting opinions about Dev_Cancel, as in 'you never need it'. But I use it because it works for me.

In my 8910 setup I do exactly what you have described here, except the short sides are all blank, not Dev_Cancel. In fact I don't think there is a single Dev_Cancel in my setup:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8277

As far as I've understood it, the Dev_xxx commands only affect subsequent commands within macros, and cease to have any effect once the macro ends, and control returns to the user, at which point the only thing that matters for normal operation is which SET_xxx_KEYS commands were last set.

So I guess what you need to do depends on whether you want to call another macro after the LKP - in my case I don't, so the short sides can all be blank.

If anything, I think I've probably got a few redundant DEV_xxx commands at the end of macros which I could trim out - but, like you say above - it works for me, so... Very Happy
R2-M0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Liz! Even though I didn't end up doing quite the same thing you did, your suggestions led me to a cleaner and less convoluted solution for my device macros.

Originally, I had (for each DEVice)...
  1. an XShift-DEV macro that performed the normal device selection sequence,
  2. a Shift-DEV macro that performed the system config (discrete power ups, input settings, etc),
  3. a Phantom1 LKP for each device that called XShift-DEV on a short press, Shift-DEV on a long, and
  4. a DEV macro that did a Dev_DEV,Phantom1 (so that I only had to define the LKP once but could still have it work across all devices)
After reading about your setup, though, I was able to streamline that down to...
  1. a DEV macro that performs the normal device selection sequence, then calls Phantom1,
  2. a Phantom1 LKP for each device that does nothing on a short press, but Shift-DEV on a long, and
  3. my original Shift-DEV macro to perform the system config
Much simpler. And yes, I know that I could just embed the contents of the Shift-DEV macro into the "long" portion of the Phantom1 LKP to streamline a little bit more. But this way, I can perform system set up with either Long-DEV or Shift-DEV. And since I got used to Shift-DEV before I had the extender, I figure that'll be handy while I retrain my thumb Wink

So my newly extended remote now includes pauses, LKPs, ToadTogs, a DSM, Shifts and XShifts... And it's all working beautifully. Thanks a million, unclemiltie!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same way I do it too. But Liz gave me another idea. I now have one macro that sets all dev key groups that I call first, then set just the exceptions. So CBL, for example has Dev_CBL then calls the macro to set all 6 key groups, then I do a Dev_TV Set_Vol. This makes all my DEV macros a lot shorter since they can all call the same master key group macro.

Extender is looking great here too. I have more tests planned for all phantoms and every toadtog bit.

One nitpicky suggestion I have would be to arrange the Buttons section in the order they are on the remote so I don't have to hunt for functions, i.e., move Mute closer to the Vol keys, etc.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That's the same way I do it too. But Liz gave me another idea. I now have one macro that sets all dev key groups that I call first, then set just the exceptions. So CBL, for example has Dev_CBL then calls the macro to set all 6 key groups, then I do a Dev_TV Set_Vol. This makes all my DEV macros a lot shorter since they can all call the same master key group macro.

Yes - my "key group master" macro (Phantom1) is:
Quote:
SET_TRANS_KEYS, SET_CHAN_KEYS, SET_MENU_KEYS, SET_PIP_KEYS, SET_OTHER_KEYS, DEV_AUD, SET_VOL_KEYS

So that each device key can do:
Quote:
stuff..., DEV_xxx, Phantom1, DEV_xxx, other stuff...

I include DEV_AUD, SET_VOL_KEYS in the master, since that's pretty much always what I want. It means I have to set DEV_xxx before and after calling Phantom1, but often "other stuff" can be for a different DEV anyway, so it's not really wasteful, and it's not just a "push" and "pop" thing. Often it can just exit after Phantom1 anyway, in which case I can use just:
Quote:
stuff..., DEV_xxx, Phantom1.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the joys of JP1 tweaking. I also ended up adding a Phantom2 macro like Liz's last night.

I realized that, while my Shift-DEV macro was properly configuring all my hardware just like a Long-DEV press, it wasn't leaving the remote in the proper state to control the selected DEVice. So I set up Phantom2 as "Set_Trans, Set_Chan, Set_Menu, Set_Other" and changed Short-DEV to call Phantom2. Long-DEV still just calls Shift-DEV, but I added Phantom2 to the end of Shift-DEV so the key groups are properly set no matter what. Problem solved.

I just use the General tab to permanently set the Vol group to AUD and the PIP group to dev6 (so I can control my pedestal fan no matter what mode I'm in).

And since we worked out the issues with the original RDF, I've yet to encounter any other problems with the extender. I've also taken advantage of Xshift-cloaking too, so there's one more feature confirmed to be working as advertised.

At this point, I think I have the RCRP05B pretty much exactly where I want it to be. At least until I come up with something else cool I can squeeze out of it... Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: