JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternatives to Microsoft tools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to Microsoft tools? Reply with quote

It looks like I have a bug in Extinstall that screws up things that have FAV entries in them. The last time I touched Extinstall I was using XP and got my hands on a used copy of Visual Studio 2006.

Now I have a Windows 7 system (virtual on my Mac) and need to re-open the VS 2006 project but no, Microsoft doesn't support VS 2006 even for simple console applications on Win7.

I'm not horribly interested in investing in Visual Studio again, so I'm looking for alternatives that I can use to re-do Extinstall. I downloaded the Express version of Studio 2010 and it doesn't support MFC applications (so what good is it?)

suggestions?

(Please remember, that I'm a novice at this C++ stuff)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some searching on the web about this, and it appears that Visual Studio 2006 can be got to work under Windows 7 by running it under XP Mode, a free download from MS. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

The experience of someone who has done this is given here:

http://www.deelip.com/?p=1647

This latter article also says that VS 2006 C++ can be compiled from a command line under Windows 7 without needing this XP Mode.

Perhaps some of this will help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old 6.0 version of VS, and if there is any compiling/testing I can do to help, I'd be happy to help, since this benefits me as much as it benefits you, BUT I don't read or understand C++........... And of course I probably won't be able to open 2006 versions of the C++ files.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative is to fire up another VM running XP to do the development. Didn't want to go there if I didn't have to but that is probably easier than doing the command line stuff or installing XP mode

But ideally I'd like to get only one windows config going
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual Studio Express can be made to build MFC apps following these instructions . I've tried it and it does work, at least with the 2008 version.

However, building a debug version fails to link with Error LNK2001:unresolved external symbol "void __stdcall AfxThrowInvalidArgException(void)". A post in the link above by Bob2H (17 May, 2010) suggests that you can just supply a dummy function to make it link. I have not tried this, because I'm using VS Express for working on DecodeIR.dll, and it is the DLL that I need to debug, and not the calling application. Once I realized that I could debug the DLL directly, I stopped worrying about it.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a new XP virtual machine and went back and re-installed Visual Studio and can build and debug my C++ stuff again.

Pisses me off that MS upgrades the tools that cost big bux and makes them obsolete with OS upgrades.

(BTW, the Apple XCode suite of tools is free when you buy a mac)

But I'm back on line and now can start to chase down a couple of Extinstall annoyances
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: