JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Insignia NS-BRDVD3-CA Blu-Ray
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
The official NEC1 Combo protocol executor will work and can be manually programmed, as explained in the link mdavej posted in the second post in this thread. I think all of the functions are listed there.

gadget89,
The Comcast 1067 remotes come in two versions, commonly referred to as JP1.2 and JP1.3. I think you've ordered the JP1.3 version. Either version has the 6 pin header installed. When you make a cable, be sure to use the instructions for a JP1.2 or 1.3 interface. This is also known as the flash interface.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Vicky,
The official NEC1 Combo protocol executor will work and can be manually programmed, as explained in the link mdavej posted in the second post in this thread. I think all of the functions are listed there.

My bad. That's one of those things that it broken in the JP1 Lookup Tool. Now that I'm not working on extenders, I should get that fixed!!! Rob has given me everything I need to update it, I'm just not sure how I broke it.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

I'm not quite following everything in this discussion, but I don't think the tool is broken. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that, even though 133.237 NEC1 isn't built into any remote, 133 NEC combo is. So you can use 5 digit EFC's to specify subdevice 237. So you don't really need a cable in this case, although it does make things a heck of a lot easier.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I looked for that too, and I didn't see any Nec1 Combo 133 in the Comcast but I didn't see it. Apparently there is one in the JP1.2 Comcast, not in the JP1.3 Comcast.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gadget89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I've already downloaded the schematic diagram for the flash interface. Hopefully I can get one rigged up before the weekend.

Just to clarify, the codes that were uncommented are just the set that I was working with, but most of them are NOT working for me. Power works, and open/close works. I think that's all. I didn't get a chance to play with winlirc on the weekend. Actually if I can get the arrow keys working and the enter key, that's all I need for now, but I think I can probably wait until my remotes arrive.

I am probably better off to focus my time on building the interface cable at this point.
gadget89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Comcast remotes finally arrived today. One is a URC-1067ABC1, and has the jp1 connector labelled JP1.2. The other is a URC-1067ABG1, and has the jp1 connector, but the label is to the side, and is partly hidden by the case.

I hope to have my serial interface ready for the weekend - most of it is already built - I just have to attach a connector to it, and I found one today that should fit.

Anyways, I followed the instructions in the link that mdavej posted. On the Comcast remote, I am using the AUX device with code 1913. I tested several functions, all of which worked. Then I assigned many of the functions to keys, as described in the instructions. I now have all the navigation keys working, power, open/close, etc. etc.

I was able to do a firmware upgrade on the Blu-Ray player, now that the navigation keys worked, and the upgrade was successful. It should allow me to play .avi movies from the USB port. However, the first one I tried said something to the effect of unsupported file format. I will try others later.

All in all, it's been a big day!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are well on your way!

gadget89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up, I copied a couple more avi movies to a USB drive - it played the first one, but not the second. So it seems to work, but I think it is selective about the codec info in the avi header. I ran into this in the past with another DVD player. But anyways, I'm well on my way now. Once again, thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.

I'll post again when I get the jp1 interface going, and who knows - maybe I'll be needing some help with that, although I know there are lots of instructions to get me started.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've pretty much confirmed it will play xvid encoded avi's but not divx. Some finicky files will work if you simply rename them to .avi. FFW and REW doesn't work very well with file playback either.

And if you find discrete on/off codes, please let us know. I did a brute force search a long time ago without success.
gadget89

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej - You may find that you can play some divx movies by modifying the fourcc header in the avi file. You can find a simple utility software (freeware) that will allow you to view & modify this info.

I've only tried one so far - it had DIVX as the file description, DX50 as the codec used. I changed only the descriptor to XVID. It played after that.

This works with many DVD players. Just thought I should share.
gadget89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just add this last note to conclude this thread. I completed my DIY JP1 cable on the weekend. When I first tested it, I had an error message reading something like No JP1 compatible remote found. Incidently, I was using the same (somewhat flakey) PC tower that I used for testing my serial IR interface because I have Windows XP installed on that one - I use linux on my everyday desktop.

Anyways, I retraced my circuit, actually drawing a new schematic of what I had built, and compared it back to the original. I couldn't see anything wrong. I took it to work this week, along with the remote, and tested it on a laptop. By this time I had downloaded the TESTGROUP.ZIP files and copied it to this laptop. The cable worked. I got the message JP1.x compatible remote found on com1:
It gave me a signature with a string of letters & numbers, a memory address, and a memory size. (400h 1024d) 1k flash.

So the good news is that the cable was working after all.

That leads me to believe that there is an issue with the serial ports on the PC tower I was using for testing. The IR transceiver that I built would transmit, but not receive. And only a few of the transmitted codes actually functioned, so maybe there are problems transmitting as well. I can verify this with com test utilities that were mentioned in the troubleshooting threads, and I will do so in the near future.

From all this, at least I now have a pair of jp1.2 remotes, and a working cable. I'll have to do something about that flakey PC tower.

I also took some photos of the cable during the construction. I used the 3 transistor (2N3904's) design. I will post the photos if there is any interest, I would start a new thread if so.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to Everyone!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: