JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New folder for new protocols for protocols.ini (RM)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: New folder for new protocols for protocols.ini (RM) Reply with quote

As Graham has been adding a whole bunch of new protocols to DecodeIR, the program that works behind the scenes to recognize protocols in programs like IR, IR Tool, DecodeCCF, etc. I though I should provide a place to put the code that would be needed to add the protocols to RM (ie, the protocols.ini file).

So, to that end, I have created this folder:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=131

In there you will find an updated copy of the protocols.ini file and you will find code for various other protocols, saved as text files. Anybody is free to add files to this folder whenever they come up with the right code for an un-supported protocol.

Graham (mathdon) will sweep this folder every so often and will add the code to the master file if he approves it.

However, while most protocols can be added by simply adding an entry to the protocols.ini file, there are some that require new translators to be written (these are little java programs). When this is the case, you should expect to see a zip file containing a text file with the protocols.ini code and a .class file. The .class file will need to be added to RemoteMaster.jar in order for it to work (see instructions below). You may also see a .java file in the zip if the author has chosen to include it for documentation purposes, but you don't need to do anything with the .java file.

To add a .class file to RemoteMaster.jar this is what you need to do:

1) Create a folder called c:\com\hifiremote\jp1
2) Save the .class file in this folder
2) Open RemoteMaster.jar using WinZip (or whatever zip software you prefer).
3) Add the file, preserving the path info (in WinZip, check the "Save full path info" box)
4) Save and close the file.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding new translators to the Windows .exe version of RemoteMaster

I have discovered that it is possible to add new translators, such as those required by the XMP and Grundig16 protocol add-ins for RM, to the Windows .exe version of RemoteMaster as well as to the Java .jar version. It merely requires adding an extra file, RMtranslators.jar, to the folder containing RemoteMaster.exe and protocols.ini. Although it is a file with a .jar extension, it is interpreted directly by RemoteMaster.exe and does not require a Java run-time system on your computer.

I have posted this file and instructions for its use here. It already includes the XMP and Grundig16 translators but further ones can be added to it by following Rob's instructions above. The only change is that you do it to RMtranslators.jar, not to RemoteMaster.jar.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to request that changes to protocols.ini, as well as any associated Java code required to support a protocol, be checked into the controlremote project at sourceforge.

That way they will be included in future versions of RM/RMIR.

I'd prefer that even for updates between RM releases protocols.ini be retrieved directly from sourceforge as well. The lastest version is always available at protocols.ini.

I'm more than happy to help people get setup to check code into sourceforge. It's been quite a while since I did it, so the following instructions may need updating, but this should get anyone who's interested started.
  1. Register for a sourceforge account
  2. Login to sourceforge
  3. Send me a request to join the controlremote development team
  4. Get a sub-version client. For Windows users, I recommend using TortioseSVN. The following instructions assume you are using TortoiseSVN.
  5. Create a folder on your system in which to checkout the source code.
  6. Right-click on an empty spot in that folder, then select SVN Checkout...
  7. For URL of repository, enter https://controlremote.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/controlremote/trunk/km
  8. Press OK
  9. This will download the full source for RM/RMIR into the km sub-folder.
  10. You may now edit protocols.ini (or any other RM/RMIR file) with your favorite tools. When you are done, and you've adequately tested your changes and are confident they are correct (probably after discussing them in the forums with the protocol experts), you may proceed...
  11. Right-click on the km sub-folder and select SVN Commit...
  12. Enter a meaningful comment in the Message field, make sure that ALL the files you want to commit are selected (and no others), then press OK.
  13. The first time you do this, you'll be asked for your SourceForge login and password. It'll remember them for future commits if you allow it.
  14. I'll be automatically informed that you've submitted changes, and at some point I'll decide to create a new release, which will now include your changes!

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:

I'm more than happy to help people get setup to check code into sourceforge. It's been quite a while since I did it, so the following instructions may need updating, but this should get anyone who's interested started.

As I mentioned elsewhere I am going to move the RDFs there too - really the best way to handle this sort of thing. So I will document what you need to do to get up and running as I do it(though I may end up bugging you Greg if I get stuck - it has been a long time since I have done it too).

xnappo
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help. Are you starting now? I'm thinking of switching the SCM from CVS to SubVersion, so maybe you should wait til I get that finished before you start.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Happy to help. Are you starting now? I'm thinking of switching the SCM from CVS to SubVersion, so maybe you should wait til I get that finished before you start.

I was going to start tomorrow. I would definitely prefer SubVersion though and I think that would be a good move.

xnappo
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch to SVN (subversion) was completed some weeks ago.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I'd like to request that changes to protocols.ini, as well as any associated Java code required to support a protocol, be checked into the controlremote project at sourceforge.

That way they will be included in future versions of RM/RMIR.

This thread, and the Tools -> RM Protocols file section, predate my involvement in the development of RemoteMaster/RMIR and also predate the migration of RDF development to SourceForge. I would suggest that the Tools -> RM Protocols file section should now be considered as having the same relationship to protocols.ini as the Tools -> RDF Files -> RDFs - Development section has to the master lists of RDF files and maps on SourceForge, namely a place where users who do not wish to get involved with SourceForge can post new contributions that (a) will be immediately available to those who wish to try them out, and (b) will also be reviewed and, if appropriate, incorporated into RemoteMaster/RMIR by its developers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: