JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shift/Menu on extended URC7562 in IR4.01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidLewis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Shift/Menu on extended URC7562 in IR4.01 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using a URC-7562 with extender, and IR v4.01. I notice that on the "Macros" tab in IR, all shifted keys are displayed as "Menu-xxxx" rather than "Shift-xxxx". When I add a new macro in IR, the dialog box gives me a choice of associating the bound key with either "Shift" or "Menu". I need to select "Menu" for the macros to actually work properly on shifted keys (of course the shift button is actually called "Magic" on the URC-7562). So, two questions:

1. is the apparent swapping of "Menu" and "Shift" a mistake in the RDF file?
2. what does "Menu" actually mean in this context? If I assign a macro to "Menu-REW" for instance, how would I actually play that macro on the remote?

Thanks,
David
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may either have the wrong RDF or the menu option instead of shift option is selected on the add/edit macro popup.
wimfabri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Shift/Menu on extended URC7562 in IR4.01 Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the RDF from the RDF distribution.

The RDF bundled with the extender works OK.

And I also would like to now what the 'Menu' selection is used for.

Thanks to all JP1 developers !
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7560/7562 keys can activate functions in three modes :

- normal (unshifted). Example : Volume Up
    - shifted (Shift key pressed before). Example : Bright Up = Shift + Channel Up
    - menu mode (Menu key pressed before). Example : OK/Enter = Menu + Mute

Basically, only the Mute (OK/Enter) and AV (Exit) have a specific function assigned to them in menu mode.

Unfortunately the way the codes for the Shifted and Menu modes are stored in the remote are the reverse of what they are in other remotes. The "new" RDF format is supposed to handle this oddity, there have been lengthy discussions about that, but I am not sure how the RDF has been adapted.
I will give a look at the distribution RDF to find out what (if anything) is wrong with it. (BTW, my "old" 7560 is now gathering dust since I migrated to the 6131M).

Alain
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by aberguerand on Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave a look at the distributed 7560/7562 extender RDF. It contains a small typo at the line :
DefaultRestrictions=XShift should be
DefaultRestriction=XShift

Nevertheless, correcting only this would not make sense, as no menu mode key could then be defined. This default restriction should be removed in the definition of buttons that have assigned functions in menu mode (Mute and AV) ie :
AV{Exit_20}=$18:XShift-XShift;
MUTE{Select}=$08:XShift-XShift;

(Is there a less clumsy way to overide the default restriction ? I tried ":-XShift", but IR complained).

Anyhow, this really is nitpicking, as the handling of the menu mode is only required for RM, in "layout" mode (you could not assign the Exit and Select functions to physical buttons in this mode). For IR or RM in "buttons" mode, functions can directly be assigned to the Exit and Select pseudo-buttons, without needing handling of the menu mode.

So the RDF could also completely ignore the menu mode (as the RDFs for the unextended 7560/7562 do) and still be usable.

By looking at the "new" RDFs, I stumbled on two questions :

- Both the RDF specifications distributed with IR4.01 and located in the Yahoo "RDF Files" directory have the same name (RDF3Spec), but the Yahoo file is really the "old" spec. It should be replaced with the current one.

- Most of the RDF files I looked at do not use the buttons restrictions. It implies that in the unextended remotes for instance, it is possible for the user to assign keymoves to the Shift or devices keys, although this is not supported by the remote firmware. The new RDF specification gives the flexibility to fine tune the user interfaces of IR and RM so that only the assignments supported by the remote firmware/extender are allowed. This fine tuning would however require a lot of work, as the support for each button in each binding mode (key move to and from, macro, learn, fav and all in normal, shifted and xshifted mode) would have to be assessed and implemented in the RDF. I think it would be necessary to define some guidelines in regard to the issue of button restrictions so that a certain uniformity is across the RDFs.

Alain
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain

I will make the changes you outlined for the next RDF distribution. I have not done much in the RDF's with the button restrictions except for the remotes that I have and not even all of them. I need to rely on people who have the remotes and understand button restrictions to make the changes and test them.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aberguerand wrote:
I gave a look at the distributed 7560/7562 extender RDF. It contains a small typo at the line :
DefaultRestrictions=XShift should be
DefaultRestriction=XShift

Nevertheless, correcting only this would not make sense, as no menu mode key could then be defined. This default restriction should be removed in the definition of buttons that have assigned functions in menu mode (Mute and AV) ie :
AV{Exit_20}=$18:XShift-XShift;
MUTE{Select}=$08:XShift-XShift;

(Is there a less clumsy way to overide the default restriction ? I tried ":-XShift", but IR complained).

I think what you want is "All-XShift" which means apply all restrictions except anything in the XShift state, i.e. only allow XShift.

Does "XShift-XShift" give the desired results in RM and IR? I wouldn't think so. It should result in no restrictions at all.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Does "XShift-XShift" give the desired results in RM and IR? I wouldn't think so. It should result in no restrictions at all.

Yes, it gives the desired result. What I want to do is override the default restriction (which is "XShift") for some keys, so that they can be XShifted.

Intuitive ways to do that would be to define such keys as :

AV=$18: (implicit no restriction) or
    AV=$18:-XShift (the default restriction is removed) or
    AV=$18:None (explicit no restriction)

Unfortunately, none of these combinations are accepted by IR. So I came to the above mentionned XShift-XShift kludge that is accepted and works. BTW "anything-All" also works.

Alain
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I didn't get that you were trying to clear all restrictions.

I agree there are some things we can do to make it easier to accomplish things like this.

None - required to simply not have any restrictions, overriding the default.

Default - to allow adding to (or removing from) the default.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: