JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just getting back into JP1, having a few issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartermain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Just getting back into JP1, having a few issues Reply with quote

I set up a URC-7555 a couple of years ago and it works pretty well, except for macros assigned to the device keys which are supposed to switch sources on an AV receiver and a SCART switchbox, which work some of the time.

Now I've just replaced all my AV gear so I have to start over. I want the VOL+, VOL- and Mute keys to operate the AV receiver on all devices. I found that the new receiver, a Denon AVR-1910, responds to built-in code AUD 1360 so I set up keymoves from that for all devices. I used IR's feature where you can select a key name rather than an EFC or hex code.

The results were strange. On four of the five devices, Mute worked OK but Vol+ and Vol- were reversed. On the fifth device, Vol+ did a Mute and the other two keys did nothing. Yet the keymoves were identical for all five devices. So I made a tiny upgrade by recording those keys, set it up as AUD 2000 and did the keymoves from that, and that's now fine.

The second job was to create an upgrade from scratch for a Humax FoxSat-HDR FreeSat recorder. This seemed fairly straightforward if a bit tedious. All keys on the original remote gave the same protocol, device and subdevice, so nothing complicated.

BUT - the 3 and 4 digit keys are reversed. Yet the OBC codes for the numeric keys are all 2 greater than the numbers engraved on the keys, so the learning looks right. But I had to swap them to make them work properly. Ditto CH+ and CH-, they needed to be reversed. And a number of other keys aren't recognised correctly - I will try learning them again.

Is this sort of thing par for the course when creating a new upgrade?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second job was to create an upgrade from scratch for a Humax FoxSat-HDR FreeSat recorder. This seemed fairly straightforward if a bit tedious. All keys on the original remote gave the same protocol, device and subdevice, so nothing complicated.

BUT - the 3 and 4 digit keys are reversed. Yet the OBC codes for the numeric keys are all 2 greater than the numbers engraved on the keys, so the learning looks right. But I had to swap them to make them work properly. Ditto CH+ and CH-, they needed to be reversed. And a number of other keys aren't recognised correctly - I will try learning them again.

Check the General Tab on the urc-7555 to makes sure the keymap is set to 'STANDARD', if not this will cause your upgrades to scramble the output.

Also if you post your IR file for us to look at we may spot other kind of problems. If you post your file in the diagnosis area, make sure to post a link here.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
quartermain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a prompt response.

The IR file is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7306

Where would I set the keymap to "standard"? I see no General tab in RM and the one in IR doesn't have a keymap setting.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I downloaded your IR file I saw that keymap is indeed set to "ALTERNATE". If you don't see that setting on the GENERAL tab, you don't have the latest and greatest RDF for the URC-7555

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4392

This is also related to VPT problems according to the note I read.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
quartermain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help. Having done some searches for "keymap" and "standard" it looks like I also made a booboo by starting out with a blank IR file rather than downloading from the remote after doing a factory reset.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always best to start with a download from your remote. The newer RDF would have fixed this problem before it started. When an RDF is first created we haven't totally analyzed all the bits and bytes in the e2 area. RDF's tend to evolve, as discoveries are made as to what the bits and bytes mean. You should always look for newer versions of the software and RDFs whenever you have a problem. You have no idea how many times that little habit has saved me from pulling out my hair!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: