JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't load WAV file without an RDF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Can't load WAV file without an RDF Reply with quote

As discussed in another thread, I haven't been able to make a raw data read of this OFA supplied Wav file. Since my first efforts were using IR 8.01RC3, I have used a fresh computer, and tried 8.0.0.17 and then 8.01 RC4.

Most likely, I'm doing something wrong, but the result of reading is either FF FF 31 31 34 32 FF FF.... up to memory location FFF but with no signature displayed, or all FFs everywhere, but with 11421142 displayed as the signature. On the first computer with 8.01RC3 loaded, I also get an access violation. Note that 31 31 34 32 is just the hex equivalnet of 1142.

An IR file generated from the Wav file loaded fine without an RDF file (except for RC3, which gave an access violation).

So, is IR supposed to be able to read a Wav file for which there is no RDF? If it isn't, fine. This situation is pretty far removed from the main purpose of IR. On the other hand, if it is supposed to read RDF-less Wav files, I'm failing to get it to work.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't load WAV file without an RDF Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I haven't been able to make a raw data read of this OFA supplied Wav file.

So, is IR supposed to be able to read a Wav file for which there is no RDF?
When I first tried opening that file IR complained about not finding the RDF like (I think?) it's supposed to. After I downloaded Binky's RDF, it opened fine without any further messages or errors.

Since a .wav file (one of ours as opposed to UEI's) can contain upgrades and/or keymoves and/or macros IR needs the RDF to know where to put things.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said HOW you were trying to read a WAV file without an RDF. When you select "Import from Wav" on the File menu, you get two choices, "New Image" and "Merge with current". If you try "New Image", it won't succeed as the OFA Wav file is not a complete image, it is only the upgrade section of an image. It appears that this is what you did, as this gives the raw data of almost all FF's that you describe. If you try "Merge with current", and the current file is for the wrong remote (as it must be, if you haven't an RDF for the right remote) then it will warn you that it is the wrong remote. If you tell it to go ahead anyway, the results will be unpredictable and almost certainly unusable in any remote.

YOu may wonder why there is a "New Image" option if an OFA Wav file is not a complete image. The answer is that IR.exe CAN create a Wav file that is a complete image, but that's not what you get from OFA.

Edit: About the signature, an HCS08 remote has the signature in the first 8 bytes of the image. An S3C8 remote, and I think other processors too, have a checksum in the first 2 bytes, followed by the 8 bytes of the signature. The two bytes of a checksum add up to FF, which is how IR.exe tells which of these it has. Your FF FF followed by the signature fits neither pattern and so is not recognised by IR.exe even though YOU can see that it it there, because you know what you are looking for.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand your post correctly, IR.exe can not read a WAV file unless there is a RDF file.

OK, I won't worry about anymore.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read it correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: